Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2016, 03:10 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Well, The police side seems to largely be. "I was scared and shot the guy"
Give the police a reason to fear for their life, then you get shot. Same for anyone else with a gun.

Not sure what's hard to understand about that.

Quite different than someone deliberately planning to murder someone as was done in Dallas.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:50 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
First tip in not getting shot by police. Do everything the police say and don't resist. IF the officer needed to tackle him to the ground, he was disobeying rule number1
It doesn't matter what anyone does when Driving While Black. Whether a person obeys orders or not, the chances are much greater you will be shot to death if you are black and pulled over for any small offense than if you are white.

And so far this the police have shot and killed 500 of us at traffic stops so far this year. Of all races.

I have some good friends who are cops and retired cops, so I understand they dangers they face, but our public protectors are killing far to many of us when they should not be.

I have no answers, but I'm not a law enforcement professional either. I believe the answers to this slaughter must come the police themselves. As a first step, knowing they all will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law for killing anyone for any reason would probably be as good a place to start as any.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:11 PM

20,708 posts, read 19,351,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It doesn't matter what anyone does when Driving While Black. Whether a person obeys orders or not, the chances are much greater you will be shot to death if you are black and pulled over for any small offense than if you are white.

And so far this the police have shot and killed 500 of us at traffic stops so far this year. Of all races.

I have some good friends who are cops and retired cops, so I understand they dangers they face, but our public protectors are killing far to many of us when they should not be.

I have no answers, but I'm not a law enforcement professional either. I believe the answers to this slaughter must come the police themselves. As a first step, knowing they all will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law for killing anyone for any reason would probably be as good a place to start as any.

Don't forget male too.

* end the war on men

* shoot women just as often

Old 07-08-2016, 05:36 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Really? It bothers you? What have you done to show your discontent?

And are you equally troubled by white on white violence? The numbers aren't pretty...

I don't see nearly the amount of white on white crime that I do black on black.

As a white person what should I do to show my discontent with black on black shootings? It seems like every other week there's a new shooting in Detroit where a child got caught in the crossfire. I just don't see this happening with whites nearly as much. When you look at population densities there should be 10 times the number of white on white crimes but it's more like 50 times the black on black crimes. Blacks are a minority population but a majority of the shootings and shooters in the news.

Personally, I've lived in predominantly white areas and in mixed areas. There was far more crime in the mixed areas. Usually it was black on black so we didn't have much to worry about except for having our home broken into. There have been zero shootings in the white neighborhood I grew up in (poor but not poverty stricken). There have been two in the 20 years I've lived in my current neighborhood. One a man who shot and killed his ex wife and the other a father who shot and killed his wife's new husband because his daughter lied and said he sexually abused her. I can't even tell you how many times I've seen my old neighborhood in Detroit on the news for yet another black on black shooting.

Data doesn't support your claim that I should be more worried about white on white crime. From where I sit, white on white crime isn't the issue nor are police shootings of blacks. That is dwarfed by black on black crime. I really want to know where the black lives matter people are when blacks shoot blacks. Do black lives only matter when they are shot by whites?

FTR, I do care about white on white crime but I have to trust the police to protect us. I'm fortunate that I live two doors down from a police officer and that I live in a quiet neighborhood where people don't usually shoot people and when they do they're not shooting into crowds. They're targeting someone they know. While that is unfortunate it's not something that society can fix. It's personal problems leading to those shootings.

And yes, black on black crime bothers me. I'm reminded of the kids my boys grew up with in Detroit. Too many of them are dead or in jail. I only know of one success story and my dh gets credit for that. He's a young man who used to baby sit for us years ago who got into photography with dh (dh had a dark room). He's now a photographer for a car company. I ran into him about 10 years ago when I was working for an automotive parts supplier and he was on a shoot of the vehicle I was working on. We helped one. I wish it was 100 but 1 is a start.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:40 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,271,022 times
Newt Gingrich Says Whites 'Don't Understand Being Black'

Old 07-08-2016, 05:40 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,527,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

Old 07-08-2016, 05:42 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Give the police a reason to fear for their life, then you get shot. Same for anyone else with a gun.

Not sure what's hard to understand about that.

Quite different than someone deliberately planning to murder someone as was done in Dallas.

In most cases, what is the reason they far for their lives?

Old 07-08-2016, 05:43 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I'm generally neutral as it relates to the police shootings, but these last 2 shootings have me very hot under the collar.

I've also heard some whites respond with "White people get killed by the police too".

So my question is to the "whites"-Do you even care if whites get killed too? I know you don't care if blacks do and I'm okay with that disposition. Do you care if your own race gets killed? If so what do whites do to prevent it from happening because there is nothing at this point that blacks can do. If you care so much why are you so silent on the issue? Why are you so apathetic?

Please help me to understand. Do you even care?

Here is a story---
I can remember having been a hiring manager at a Hospital with 3,200 employees. There were only 3 of us black managers in the whole darn place. I decided to do something about it. I went on an aggreesive hiring of black managers. Why? 1-We needed more managers 2- we needed managers of color. 3-the Senior Level(white folks) staff supported my efforts.

The point:
I was in a position to make change happen and I DID. It's the highlight of my life.

Since whites are the dominant controlling class, why not use that position to make changes for the better?
Hiring someone because of the color of their skin has never made anything better. Hiring the best, most qualified person for the job makes everything better. You have just shown yourself to be a racist person.

As far as police shootings, I have only once seen a video that showed without a doubt that the police was wrong in shooting the white man who used a cane and got out of his pickup and reached for his cane in the back and the officer shot him. And you could argue he thought the man was reaching for a gun. And we didn't march and go crazy about that. I realized the policeman just made a bad judgment call. I am sure he hated he had done that. I am lucky the job I did when I was working did not cost lives when I made a mistake. People do not become police officers because they want to kill people. Plus their lives are at risk every day. I support the police of the USA without any reservation. If someone is out of line in the police department, their fellow workers will take care of it.

Those who bad mouth the police should try to wrestle a 200 pound man with a gun in his pocket and then see how their opinion changes. My guess is it would be a lot.

Last edited by NCN; 07-08-2016 at 05:59 PM..

Old 07-08-2016, 05:44 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post

Newt would know.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:51 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,054,362 times
They don't. That's why they continue supporting a ravaging police state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies