Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2016, 06:24 PM

1,074 posts, read 950,397 times

Advertisements

Slavery and racism is America's original sin. It continues to haunt America to this day. Period. All Americans need to understand this. However, it's time for a split. Black people need to stop asking the police for help. If they need help, they can call Al Sharpton, Aliza Garca, Black Lives Matter, and all those other people. There is black fatigue in this country.

Stop promoting interracial marriage as well.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:26 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,601,193 times
On the whole I'd say no, I don't care.

Do you care when white people get shot?

Old 07-08-2016, 06:38 PM

316 posts, read 214,753 times
The question should be do blacks even care? You can't go around blaming another race for your troubles so you can just sit back Ask yourself what cna my race do to raise better citizens.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:41 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,712,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I'm generally neutral as it relates to the police shootings, but these last 2 shootings have me very hot under the collar.

I've also heard some whites respond with "White people get killed by the police too".

So my question is to the "whites"-Do you even care if whites get killed too? I know you don't care if blacks do and I'm okay with that disposition. Do you care if your own race gets killed? If so what do whites do to prevent it from happening because there is nothing at this point that blacks can do. If you care so much why are you so silent on the issue? Why are you so apathetic?

Please help me to understand. Do you even care?

If your question was not rhetorical, this Caucasian woman will respond, because I do care.

I am saddened and upset when any blood is spilled. It is all the same color.

I am saddened and upset that, in 2016 America, racism continues to exist.

I am saddened and upset that class warfare in 2016 is driving chaos and breakdown and fueling ever more hatred, fear and hopelessness.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:09 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,951 times
Black males will have to forge a brave new path for themselves and be true Men in their communities.

Enough of this age old excuse of convenience that the Black woman is truly the boss.

Black women would want to show more proactive and positive impact on their communities. Watching their men commit crime and face incarceration should not provide the "ego lift" they so clearly show as the superior dominant gender in Black culture.

Keeping your sons in a state of perpetual uselessness while you get to be the lucky ones to consort with White people is just an attempt to maintain sexual inequality among Blacks. Black women have it better than most in their own right. They can achieve great success in every realm of law business you name it. So why not return the favor and do something other than the hands up in air , we can do nothing attitude.

Black women will have an equal part to play and maybe even a greater part to play in rebuilding confidence in Black/White relations. Being a double threat minority group has been good to them for quite some time. Now it is time to give something , real, productive and cooperative back to not just their own but to America in general.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:32 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
How can we the be the architects when what we are we learned it from whites? Lets see....our language....who did we learn that from? lets see....our religion....who did we learn that from? Lets see our diet....who did we learn that from. Calling ourselves the N word.....who did we learn that from? The truth is, although we might biologically be African(black), culturally we are European(white). What white society exposed for us to emulate, since CULTURE IS LEARNED, is denigration and abuse. Now its on autopilot in our communities. White society created the momentum for this....not black society. However, according to Newton, any object moved by a force will continue in the same direction until and unless acted upon by an equal and opposite force.
So you are saying that there is no difference between black and white culture??? Let's look at your claims a bit closer (I am generalizing here but so were you):

Language - we speak English but black and white English can be very different. Some of this may be educational problems but a lot of it is not - it is a cultural difference.

Diet - a lot of the food choices and methods of preparation are regional I think, and ethnicity can play a huge role here. But if you look at food trends in say, Los Angeles - you see a lot of emphasis on fresh food, low fat, organic, etc. among the middle and upper class white people.

Church Services/Religion - yes, we are mainly all Christians but black church services are very different from white (whites being more reserved). The best gospel music is in the black churches. Very big differences.

Music - huge differences - this is so obvious it goes without saying.

Even sports - not many black hockey players for example and most people would say hockey is a a predominately white sport (fans and players).

All of these things are cultural differences and developments. So you're argument really makes no sense.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:55 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,283,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I'm generally neutral as it relates to the police shootings, but these last 2 shootings have me very hot under the collar.

I've also heard some whites respond with "White people get killed by the police too".

So my question is to the "whites"-Do you even care if whites get killed too? I know you don't care if blacks do and I'm okay with that disposition. Do you care if your own race gets killed? If so what do whites do to prevent it from happening because there is nothing at this point that blacks can do. If you care so much why are you so silent on the issue? Why are you so apathetic?

Please help me to understand. Do you even care?

Here is a story---
I can remember having been a hiring manager at a Hospital with 3,200 employees. There were only 3 of us black managers in the whole darn place. I decided to do something about it. I went on an aggreesive hiring of black managers. Why? 1-We needed more managers 2- we needed managers of color. 3-the Senior Level(white folks) staff supported my efforts.

The point:
I was in a position to make change happen and I DID. It's the highlight of my life.

Since whites are the dominant controlling class, why not use that position to make changes for the better?
The highlight of your life? Some life!

Old 07-08-2016, 08:00 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,951 times
Basically the only thing we have in common is that we all are forced to live together like it or not.

An uneasy proposition from the get go that is showing very serious fault lines as we are all seeing.

Are we potentially looking at martial law in some Black areas ?

Protests in Baton Rouge ?.......Why oh why would anybody do that ............given what happened in Dallas

Stupid stupid ........enough said

Old 07-08-2016, 08:05 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,293,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
In most cases, what is the reason they far for their lives?

According to FBI Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted reports, 62 officers were killed during traffic stops from 2003 to 2012. That does not include 34 others who died during and after vehicle pursuits. Most involved shootouts like the one that took place in St. Paul between police and Patrick's suspected killer, Brian Fitch, hours after the slaying. In 2012, 4,450 officers were wounded or assaulted in various manners during traffic stops.

nosuchthing

Old 07-08-2016, 08:56 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,117,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
No, I am not confused by the issue regarding police involved shootings at all.

My confusion is that the movement is called #BlackLivesMatter, but the spotlight is only on black people that are killed by police officers.

Perhaps if the activist group had created a more focused # campaign, then it would be more obvious that their focus is solely on the lives of those murdered by agents of the government.

I never said that members of the black community don't care about the crime in their neighborhoods and if that was the implication, then that is my fault because I absolutely believe that people who deal with gang violence ARE very concerned about it!

Police involved shooting need to be investigated and scrutinized in every instance, regardless of the race of the victim.

ALL LIVES MATTER

People of all races, colors and creeds should come together and seek justice for any victim of violence, regardless of who perpetrated the violence upon them.

With LEO involved shootings, I don't view stepping back and waiting for all the facts to be presented, but that doesn't mean that the loss of life is not a tragedy. I don't automatically assume that the cop was justified in shooting the victim, but I also don't automatically assume that the victim was perfectly compliant and the cop just felt like offing a black person, either.

Do I have less compassion for the victims that are combative or aggressive or create a situation where a cop is put in fear for his life? In all honesty, I would have to say probably, but I have no less compassion for the family and friends of the victim. And I certainly don't base that feeling on the skin color of the victim.

I guess that my issue with the BLM movement is that it is misleading. It should call itself something that relates to the specific nature of its purpose. Otherwise, people like me will question why they are not talking about all of the black lives lost and the causes around those tragic deaths.
It's not BLM job to make sure that you're aware of the facts that they publicly available to anyone that wants to learn more. Should I crap on Log Cabin Republicans for making it seem like they represent Conservative lumberjacks? No their platform is openly available for anyone who wants to learn more about them.

BLM isn't about the incidental encounters that happen between chips and communities. It's about the institutional bias that cops have against Black communities and their residents. No other group has been as historically preyed upon by law enforcement as Black communities.

To try to lump the incidental encounters (which are direct result of the leeway given to cops as they prey upon minority and disenfranchised communities) cops have with the general population with the institutional policies that target Black and Brown Americans is disengenuous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies