Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2016, 09:54 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FYI, it is well established that a small amount of black people in America prior to 1865 owned slaves. However, it is false that any black master owned white slaves. White people were not slaves in America.

Indentured servitude is not slavery no matter how much you may want to act like it was.

Also, not sure why you and the other history revisionist want to continue to act like the convict labor in Australia or "white slavery" in the British Isle has anything to do with chattel slavery in the US....It is not the same thing.

No one has ever said whites were not indentured servants or treated badly. However, you and the other poster are incorrect in your assumption that indentured servitude is equal in nature to slavery. It was not. The children of indentured servants were not subject to being automatically indentured - that is unless they were mullatto children (had a black parent). Many times as punishment for a white woman "laying" with a black man, her children would be indentured for 20 years.
I have deleted my postings.....I am not going to argue, when most people just want to see things one way and not get past America has come alone way in moving ahead. That white, Asians and Native Americans were slaves, also.

Funny, that a person that you don't want associated with slavery is a "mulatto" but consider President Obama your first Black President. I am sure you see the irony. If one can't see advancement, one can NEVER get ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Did they start a war to protect their "property"? Being educated I`m sure you can see the difference.
They certainly joined up to help protect the property they owned.......or is this made up also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 09:55 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,213,236 times
this is getting old...

Old 07-27-2016, 09:57 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Isn't Obama kinda wrong to say "built by slaves" if free blacks, whites and immigrants also worked on it? I'm sure the design/blueprints were also made by whites.

Is it racist to point out the living conditions of slaves that worked on the White House?
The south was certainly built on slave labor. However, the reality is that the north and eastern states had long outlawed slavery, and this is why there was the "underground railroad" which was actually began by white northerners. In retaliation, many northern blacks (born free) would be kidnapped and enslaved by southerners. Things like this helped propel us into the civil war.

Most of the country was certainly not built by slaves, while much of the south relied on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I have deleted my postings.....I am not going to argue, when most people just want to see things one way and not get past America has come alone way in moving ahead. That white, Asians and Native Americans were slaves, also.
I agree completely. It would help if these people could step away from their tunnel vision. It's like trying to reason with children who think they know everything, yet know nothing.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:58 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yanno what, there are people coming here working from other countries, all to thankful to work for such cheap wages, with no medical benefits, no vacations, no paid holidays, no pensions....

I'm sick and tired of hearing about slavery....there are all kinds of slavery going on right now....
and corporations are getting rich off them....so, lets move on....

I'm with you...

except, I think some slaves, more then some were treated very badly and there is still biased racism going on today, but, I believe its more from the blacks then whites...

it's time to move on and get it together, we all have to join in and work together to change....

change will only come from taking repsonsiblity....and then changing, and it takes time and years...of hard work.
"I'm sick and tired of hearing about slavery.

I am also.

...there are all kinds of slavery going on right now....
and corporations are getting rich off them.

So corporations are NOT allowed to make a profit AFTER oaying all those people wo work for them?

...so, lets move on....

You first!

Old 07-27-2016, 09:59 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
IN fact many white folks form the south have a bit of black DNA. The masters mated with the slaves out of love and compassion.
A lot of slave owners simply raped their slaves who had no legal recourse.

In other news ~12% of whites in South Carolina and Mississippi have some black ancestry.

The overwhelming majority of blacks have some white ancestry and in fact the average black person in the US is about 1/4th white.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:00 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Slaves were treated very well in America. It's well known that slaveowners loved their slaves as if they were their own blood family. They would've never mistreated them.

Sure slaves wanted to be free, but white people knew what was better for black people than black people themselves. Blacks just didn't know how good they had it. Sure, they could beat you and sell away your family (something they did very often), but what's the big deal? Blacks got used to it anyway. Besides, the Bible told them that they were supposed to obey their master's orders.

And who are blacks to go against God, right? I think this is something that we can all agree with.
Bill O'Reilly just offered up platitudes.

Slavery is in and of itself abusive, because it determines that one human being can belong to another. The very idea that a human being can be so inferior to another that it's okay to sell or barter them, that they should have no self-autonomy but what their owner provides them is an abhorrence.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:00 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
IN fact many white folks form the south have a bit of black DNA. The masters mated with the slaves out of love and compassion.
So with this, if a child turned out white, but was part black, would that child be considered a black slave or white slave?

If the child turned out black would they be under the category of black slave or white slave?

Last edited by wildflower82; 07-27-2016 at 10:13 AM..

Old 07-27-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
O'Reilly is an arse. Never liked him.
Typical response.

Attack the messenger, NOT the message

Old 07-27-2016, 10:05 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Bill O'Reilly just offered up platitudes.

Slavery is in and of itself abusive, because it determines that one human being can belong to another. The very idea that a human being can be so inferior to another that it's okay to sell or barter them, that they should have no self-autonomy but what their owner provides them is an abhorrence.
Did you miss that DD was being insanely sarcastic?

BTW DD, the US government has replaced labor slavery with welfare slavery, one plantation for another. Yay

Old 07-27-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Did they start a war to protect their "property"? Being educated I`m sure you can see the difference.
The Civil War was NOT started to protect slavery.

just because you believe it, does NOT amke it so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies