Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2016, 10:30 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Michelle was pointing out how far we've come as a country.

That a federal building that slaves helped to build, a federal building that houses the First Family of our nation, now houses a First Family that is black.

I think pointing out the progress that we've made as a nation regarding our attitudes about race was entirely appropriate, especially at a time when racial tensions are high.
I think Michelle is an awesome speaker, and a beautiful woman....but to me, and for me, she just can't seem to get past slavery...and I also believe the Obama's incited BLM, along with their racial phobias...

Racial tensions were not this high until the past 4 years...

Bill O'Reily, I don't like so much...I think he is bigoted and unable to see the other side of things...he to me, is also a bully. However, in this particular case, I don't believe he meant anything racist at all...he was simply responding to the statement that Michelle had made...and btw, the last thing right now, that any first lady should be doing is firing up racial tensions...I believe she is more Racist then some whites, simply b/c I've heard her make these kind of statements for a long time...she is very angry...still...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 10:32 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So... why haven't Obama and his Admin fixed that? They've only made the rich even richer, and made Blacks even poorer. Is THAT what you and other liberals/Dems voted for?

Hillary will be just more of the same. Wall Street is her master, as well:

Wall Street cash or Elizabeth Warren: Hillary's choice - CNBC
And Trump giving tax cuts to the rich is going to produce the kind of change you want?

Old 07-28-2016, 10:34 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
And Trump giving tax cuts to the rich is going to produce the kind of change you want?
Increasing taxes on the rich to higher levels than they already paid hasn't worked, so what do you suggest?

Old 07-28-2016, 10:40 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Michelle was completely truthful. Slaves worked on the construction of the White House. You cannot refute this. It's a fact. O'Reilly was trying to minimize that fact. And you are, too.

As for your remarks about Dixiecrats, there weren't 26 Dixiecrats in the world. The fact that you count only 26 Dixiecrats is an attempt at misdirection. There were millions of Dixiecrats, Southerners who supported a conservative Democratic policy. The National Democratic party didn't promote that conservative Democratic policy. And the Dixiecrats left the National Democratic party, joining the National Republican party, because the Republican party did promote that conservative policy that the Dixiecrats favored.
Wow, is that what you believe.? A bunch of lies.. You are easily led the most odd statements.

The democratic party was one racist party that birthed THE KKK and segregation . That is fact. The Republican party was formed to fight slavery. The democrats were pressured by the Republicans including Eisenhower to correct the racism that was there and kept there by the democrats. Once defeated they lost their power.

The Republicans never tooted their horn but the guilt of the democrats brought an about face in their words but not their actions. They needed a way to gain power and they worked to gain power over blacks once again.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Wow, is that what you believe.? A bunch of lies.. You are easily led the most odd statements.

The democratic party was one racist party that birthed THE KKK and segregation . That is fact. The Republican party was formed to fight slavery. The democrats were pressured by the Republicans including Eisenhower to correct the racism that was there and kept there by the democrats. Once defeated they lost their power.

The Republicans never tooted their horn but the guilt of the democrats brought an about face in their words but not their actions. They needed a way to gain power and they worked to gain power over blacks once again.
The Southern Democratic Party was the racist party that spawned the KKK. Segregation, not so much, since that was a phenomena that was present in the North and the South.

That Southern Democratic Party no longer exists. I realize how difficult it is for you to wrap your mind around, but times have changed. The Dixiecrats became Republicans. And the Republicans sure do toot their horn. They reference themselves as the Party of Lincoln all the time.

Unfortunately, they say things like the above, as well. Black people are not stupid. Black people are not gullible. Your argument that Democrats only changed their words and not their actions in order to "gain power over blacks once again", suggests that you think that black people are stupid and gullible. Why, you can see right through the Democrats, but black people can't! Bless your heart!

Old 07-28-2016, 11:02 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Bill O'Reilly Wants You To Know That The Slaves Who Built The White House Were Well-Fed

"Slaves that worked there were well-fed and had decent lodgings provided by the government, which stopped hiring slave labor in 1802. However, the feds did not forbid subcontractors from using slave labor."

What in the world could this passage mean? Could O'Reilly really thing that how well a slave is fed is a cogent argument - that "cuisine" offered makes slave-holding less of an abomination?

Do some people really think slavery was some kind of entry level job with just a few "perks?"

He's specifically referring to slaves that helped build the White House... not slaves in general.

And no, he isn't arguing that slavery wasn't an abomination.

Good grief.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
He's specifically referring to slaves that helped build the White House... not slaves in general.
To what end?

Why would he feel that it was important to point out that the slaves who helped build the White House were well-fed?

Old 07-28-2016, 11:09 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times
Quote:
Michelle was pointing out how far we've come as a country.

That a federal building that slaves helped to build, a federal building that houses the First Family of our nation, now houses a First Family that is black.

I think pointing out the progress that we've made as a nation regarding our attitudes about race was entirely appropriate, especially at a time when racial tensions are high.
Was she trying to be divisive? She didn't say "helped", she said built. So, given her lead, it would be appropriate to make the statement, the White House was built by whites"?

Old 07-28-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Was she trying to be divisive? She didn't say "helped", she said built. So, given her lead, it would be appropriate to make the statement, the White House was built by whites"?
She wasn't trying to be divisive. The word "helped" would have been superfluous. I would think that most Americans have a sufficient familiarity with history that they would know that non-slaves were involved with the construction as well. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you are arguing that the American educational system is so poor that Americans would think that slaves, with no oversight or supervision, just designed the White House themselves, and magically obtained the building materials, and worked tirelessly to build a home for the nation's First Family, while they also made sure they were well-fed and housed. All on their own.

She wasn't trying to be divisive at all. To point out the progress that black people have made in our society could only be considered divisive by people whose agenda is to deny that progress.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:21 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
DC at the Ridge The Southern Democratic Party was the racist party that spawned the KKK. Segregation, not so much, since that was a phenomena that was present in the North and the South.
That is correct!

Quote:
That Southern Democratic Party no longer exists. I realize how difficult it is for you to wrap your mind around, but times have changed. The Dixiecrats became Republicans. And the Republicans sure do toot their horn. They reference themselves as the Party of Lincoln all the time.
yes, they do, but we all know, both the dems and repubs, were a whole different meaning back then.

Quote:
Unfortunately, they say things like the above, as well. Black people are not stupid. Black people are not gullible. Your argument that Democrats only changed their words and not their actions in order to "gain power over blacks once again", suggests that you think that black people are stupid and gullible. Why, you can see right through the Democrats, but black people can't! Bless your heart!
well, here is where we disagree....not all black people or any nationality are the same intellectually...and I firmly believe that the Dems are simply preying on the sympathies of blacks who are gang bangers of voting age, BLM, etc...simply to gain their votes...and they are of course, promising freebes...so no matter how you swing it...they are no longer concerned with Middle class Americans, but more so, those who are still trapped in poverty...and illegals...Muslims, just to name a few. They are looking for the minority vote...
and of course the woman's vote, b/c there are so many women voting for Hillary simply b/c she is a woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies