Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2016, 06:01 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Help me understand two things here. First, I've always viewed this flag as being in support of slavery. I don't quite get what reason anyone would have for displaying it. So help me understand that piece of it.

And secondly, if it's so controversial, which I think nobody here can deny, why is it not okay to fire her, but it's okay for an employer to fire someone for what they've posted on Facebook or Twitter?

I'm asking because I see some posters were pro firing in that thread, but against firing here.
I'm sorry I can't help you to understand either one because I don't understand either.

I don't understand the loyalty to that flag. The Confederate States of America existed for 4 years, from 1861 - 1865 & was never officially recognized by any foreign government as an independent country. Although the UK & France granted it belligerent status. The CSA supported race based slavery, it was its raison d'etre & the flag represents this belief. & was the cause of the American Civil War.

Of course I'm preaching to the choir here & apologize. The testamentary evidence confirms, including the newspaper articles, the speeches, the various States' explanations of the reasons, & the Constitution of the CSA itself confirms.

I don't understand the second thing either. I read the article cited in the OP & something just doesn't seem right. I guess we'll never know the full story, including precisely what the internal investigation revealed. Termination seems drastic although I agree with what you've said above comparing the 2 recent cases. Maybe the internal investigation revealed that her story was simply not plausible.

This article contains more information:

Georgia police sergeant fired for flying the Confederate flag in her front yard | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
Cotriss, a 20-year veteran at Roswell, was notified on July 11 that she was being investigated by the department for conduct unbecoming an officer on or off duty.

The former officer said she and her husband received a Confederate flag in May 2015 while vacationing at popular biker festival in Panama City, Florida.

Cotriss hung the flag, with a motorcycle in the middle, on the flag pole outside her home. It had become shredded with time and weather, and she recently asked a friend to take it down.

She said a neighbor had offered a new one and the friend accepted on her behalf, Cotriss told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. ...
It's as if she 'accidententally' received 2 Confederate flags & had no idea of the controversy surrounding? Maybe it just didn't add up for folks working with her for 20 years that she was that oblivious to the world around her. Maybe they just didn't believe her.

Perhaps they found the person reporting to be more credible, to have a more plausible explanation for his concern:

Quote:
...But on July 11 a man who was driving his daughter and son to pre-school spotted the Confederate flag waving in front of her home, her police vehicle in the driveway.

He immediately emailed Roswell Police Department Chief Rusty Grant.

'It is very difficult to explain to my daughter that we should trust our police,' the email read.

'But in the same sentiment if I were to ever be pulled over or some situation where my family needs the police to protect and serve, my first thought/fear is that it may be the officer proudly flying his/her Confederate flag.' ...
Read more: Georgia police sergeant fired for flying the Confederate flag in her front yard | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

(Wonder if folks in the US still consider the CSA belligerent?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 06:06 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Are you sure? Calling someone the N word while hiding anonymously behind a laptop is e oftenone thing. Why don't you test out how meaningless it is on a street in let's say Beds/Stuy, NYC?
I've spent over 20 years in the CJ field. Prior to that I grew up in the ghetto.

I have never heard the word used in a consistent way on any level with the lone exception of what I would call among "lower morality individuals"... who use it all the time.

I've heard it, and more often read it in print, by all races/genders (even trans folks)/religions. It has been used by friends and enemies. It has been used in fights, reunions (with families/friends getting out of jail), and randomly shouted (?).

It has absolutely no definitive meaning to people who use it. It can't when the same person has used it with his friends, enemies, unknowns, and across "racial" and gender lines. People who don't use it may think it means a racial slur but it doesn't.

I have no idea what it means. It's almost like an inaudible mumble or cough at this point.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:17 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I'm sorry I can't help you to understand either one because I don't understand either.

I don't understand the loyalty to that flag. The Confederate States of America existed for 4 years, from 1861 - 1865 & was never officially recognized by any foreign government as an independent country.
Who says otherwise?!

Nationhood is not the same thing as statehood. Not even close. The Kurds, for example, are a stateless nation. There are loads of examples. Southerners have traditionally had a sense of folk, and something of an ethnic identity of their own. They're a distinct people, with their own customs and symbols (one of which is the Confederate flag).

Old 07-28-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Government cannot punish or restrict the 1st amendment.... Especially for their employees!!!

I see a major lawsuit.
No doubt there will be a lawsuit.
Quote:
Pappas v. Giuliani, 290 F.3d 143 (2002), was a case in which the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit held that the First Amendment to the United States Constitution was not violated where a police officer was fired for mailing out racially offensive political materials from his home.

...They quote Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. in the case McAuliffe v. Mayor of New Bedford, "A policeman may have a constitutional right to [speak his mind], but he has no constitutional right to be a policeman." ...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pappas_v._Giuliani

She may even win hers. Although I think she may be more of a liability to the department at this point.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Who says otherwise?!

Nationhood is not the same thing as statehood. Not even close. The Kurds, for example, are a stateless nation. There are loads of examples. Southerners have traditionally had a sense of folk, and something of an ethnic identity of their own. They're a distinct people, with their own customs and symbols (one of which is the Confederate flag).
So what.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:43 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
That's a very recent, liberal, interpretation of the flag. Do you think when the Dukes of Hazard was one of the most popular shows on TV that the Virginia Battle Flag (it was never the Confederate flag) in practically every scene was considered racist? Of course not.

Do you think this former NAACP president is racist and supporting slavery?

Former NAACP President Supports Confederate Flag: “Black folks earned a place of honor and dignity with this flag… This is our flag…†|

It was about southern heritage and pride, not slavery, long before the liberals decided it was evil because some people who don't vote left started flying it.

Well, I do know some good ole boys who do tout southern heritage and pride....and criticize black heritage and pride, but I never watched Dukes of Hazard, so what do I know?

Old 07-28-2016, 07:51 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
For me, it's a public agency vs a private business. Private businesses can employ people at will, so they can fire people for no reason at all. It's the owners choice. When the employer is the government, it's a bit different because the government shouldn't be biased towards any political belief.
When the employer is a branch of government, they are under great scrutiny and criticism because we citizens are paying taxes going toward their salaries and they're supposed to serve all people fairly.

The confederate flag may not be a symbol of racism to everyone, but it is to many, otherwise this wouldn't be an issue.

Not a good idea for a cop to do anything that would put into question, his or her ability to do the job fairly.

And in today's climate, it's stupid for a cop to do something like this in the first place, in my opinion. She could be putting a target on her back.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:56 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Remember what you sign with your w-4 when you get that job! Simple use wisdom

Old 07-28-2016, 08:27 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
This could get sticky real fast since a group in Brazil with some Black members also fly the Rebel flag at 2:50:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D93o3kItF-E

It's def a part of their culture.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:14 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
even if something is adopted by a hate group, unless it's illegal or she was told it was, I don't see how they had the right to fire her. I hope she sues.

this PC BS has gone too far.
These are policies. You can't argue logic with policies.

Like I said about the department I was with, even if my son got arrested for a traffic offense, I could not post bond. To do so would get me terminated right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies