Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 02:48 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
My son, who is autistic, was bullied off and on in middle school, and we fought with the school constantly. In 9th grade, another boy took a swing at him and my son had enough. He knocked the other boy out. They never bothered him again.
I wish I had the courage to do that back when I was in school. But I was too cowardly to do so out of fear of being hit back harder or the bullies would gang up on me and then it would really hurt bad. I was often scorned or ridiculed because my face was ugly, my moles, and my big nose, so I was called the "beak". I was also called "bird dog". It came about because I couldn't take PE, due to a health problem, and the PE teacher called those who were slacking as "bird dogging it". Sometimes I'd get slugged. Sometimes I wanted to kill myself, but didn't, because I was afraid it would hurt too much.

Not as often I was called gay or fa--ot. But being repeatedly told I was ugly hurt me a hell of a lot more than being called gay. I didn't want to be around people, who had ugly faces, so why expect people to want to be around me? So I went on to become a loner in life and never married having accepted that I could not depend on anybody for companionship. Finding some interesting hobbies did help make life more bearable. At least I didn't have trouble finding jobs in which I didn't have to face the public, so being employed wasn't a problem.

After what I regrettably went through, I would recommend kids fight back their bullies. Make it clear to them any bullying will be met with an unpleasant experience. Take a self defense course and/or put on muscle to build confidence and higher self esteem, if needed. Looking back, taking a chance with getting physical scars to stop the bullying would have been easier to live with than the permanent emotional scars that will never fade away from failing to end the bullying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 03:00 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
My daughter had a problem with a boy bullying her. She told me, I wrote a letter to the teacher. The teacher brought the letter to the principal and that was that. The pen is pretty mighty if you know the correct words to use. Schools don't want legal issues.
My father said beat the crap out of the kid that was bothering me.

I did.

He never bothered me again.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:42 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
This is heartbreaking. But I just don't understand why he would kill himself. I was teased and bullied in school and it was horrible what I went through. But I never thought about killing myself
Maybe a part of you recognized that it was a temporary situation, that there was life beyond those years. Maybe you were a bit stronger. It really doesn't matter, this poor kid felt completely helpless. For those who are older, not speaking of you (just tagging onto this post) but people my age, those of us who did not grow up with social media, we did not have to deal with the 24/7 bullying. It was the school yard, neighborhood, etc...but when a kid got home they were safe. It's so different nowadays. It doesn't stop for these kids, there is no safe place.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:08 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Fortunately you had a teacher and principal who seem to care and did their job to stop the bullying. Unfortunately that is not always the case.
If they didn't react I would get so far up their ass and the ass of the bullys father they wouldn't have a choice

Old 08-14-2016, 05:40 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I wish I had the courage to do that back when I was in school. But I was too cowardly to do so out of fear of being hit back harder or the bullies would gang up on me and then it would really hurt bad. I was often scorned or ridiculed because my face was ugly, my moles, and my big nose, so I was called the "beak". I was also called "bird dog". It came about because I couldn't take PE, due to a health problem, and the PE teacher called those who were slacking as "bird dogging it". Sometimes I'd get slugged. Sometimes I wanted to kill myself, but didn't, because I was afraid it would hurt too much.

Not as often I was called gay or fa--ot. But being repeatedly told I was ugly hurt me a hell of a lot more than being called gay. I didn't want to be around people, who had ugly faces, so why expect people to want to be around me? So I went on to become a loner in life and never married having accepted that I could not depend on anybody for companionship. Finding some interesting hobbies did help make life more bearable. At least I didn't have trouble finding jobs in which I didn't have to face the public, so being employed wasn't a problem.

After what I regrettably went through, I would recommend kids fight back their bullies. Make it clear to them any bullying will be met with an unpleasant experience. Take a self defense course and/or put on muscle to build confidence and higher self esteem, if needed. Looking back, taking a chance with getting physical scars to stop the bullying would have been easier to live with than the permanent emotional scars that will never fade away from failing to end the bullying.
I am so sorry for what you endured. I was never bullied but even as a kid I never understood why some kids were so cruel to others, though I credit my mother who always stressed that we were to be kind to people. We'd of been in big trouble if word ever got to her that we weren't, especially to those who others bullied. There was a very heavy kid up the road from me who was also a bit on the intellectually slow side that some kids bullied all the time. I made it a point to be kind to him so that he'd know some people cared. There was also a girl in the neighborhood whose mother never emotionally recovered from losing her husband in a lineman accident when the girl was a baby. She literally wanted her daughter to be plain and to never marry (the girl's cousin told me this) and though she was one of the brightest girls in the school made her go to secretarial school rather than college. She wasn't allowed to shave her legs, wear makeup, style her hair, or wear fashionable clothes, though the mother would buy fashionable clothes for her nieces who also lived in the neighborhood. The boys ignored her and the girls were downright cruel. I knew her from kindergarten through 12th grade and was probably the only male friend she had.

I think parents can raise their kids to not be bullies, but regretfully not everyone does.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:27 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Huge out pouring of support today at the funeral. Family, friends, the community and even strangers came together at Daniel Fitzpatrick's funeral to send the kid on his way home with much love.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/08/family_firefighters_bikers_pay.html

Old 08-17-2016, 06:23 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,141 times
Couple of thoughts here...

We really should define this in stronger terms than bullying and if it ends in suicide or self harm, like it did here, the perpetrators should be punished hard by the law. Lock them in Juvie. Expel them. Send a message. The article didn't say what happened to his 5 tormentors but I'll bet it wasn't enough.

Bullying happens in part because other people witness it (including teachers and adults) and stand by and do nothing. They essentially enable the bullying by not responding to it. Make no mistake. The FULL blame lies with they bullies but bullying would not happen as often if other people didn't tolerate it when they witnessed it.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:24 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post

Sorry for everything you had to endure. I agree bullies are basically cowards, so are many of their accomplices and if you stand up to them they will fold. It's much easier to look back as an adult and propose that solution, quite a different world through the eyes of a 12-16 year old. I do believe bullying is worse today than it was 50 years ago, tragic story. I always wonder about the parents of these kids that behave in this manner, usually the apples don't fall far from the tree.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:34 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
The parents knew exactly what was going on. They had been to the school to talk about it. The school sent social services to investigate them in retribution. The kid had his pinky broken by the bullies. The parents knew this was going on the whole time.

And they didn't remove their child from the school.

I'm sorry, but I blame the parents 100% for what happened. The parents should have pulled him long ago. That they didn't was completely negligent. They put him somewhere evil, and forced him to keep going back over and over again into the hands of his tormentors. Evil evil people.
He was starting a new school this year. The parents were in a difficult position: take him out of the school where at least he knew some people despite being bullied or put him in a new school in the middle of the year where he wouldn't know anyone, may be behind his classmates, and would likely be the target of new bullies as "the new kid." They took a gamble and lost.

Unfortunately, it seems that this kid's home life wasn't so great either.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:37 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Is this what we are taught to do when we are bullied today?

Getting them ready to be bullied by government and culling those that cannot tolerate it.
Give that boy liberty, or give him death!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies