Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the federal government mechanically limit trucks and buses to below 68MPH?
Yes 21 26.58%
No 35 44.30%
Its not the federal governments place 20 25.32%
I have no idea, I'm too busy texting 3 3.80%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 12:07 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,990,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode View Post
Don't you think driving 80 MPH on any public road is more stupid?
There are highways in Utah where the speed limit is 85.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 01:51 PM

324 posts, read 271,428 times
Government needs to get their damn fingers out of my truck! That truck has payments. I make those payments. When the Government decides to hand me a free truck THEN the can tell me how fast it will go.

All of you who own and have made payments or still are making payments on your car to pickup wouldn't want the government to step in an say.... oops you're going too fast let us fix that.... you can only run 60mph. You would be pissed since YOU pay for that vehicle......

Why the hell do you think they should tell me how fast I can go in MY truck that I make payments on? Keep mechanically safe and sound? Wash wax and dry once a week? Pay insurance that is SKYHIGH mainly due to lying, speeding, self centered, arrogant jerks in their cages?

I love those dash cams. The truth comes out in the end. Do we have some really stupid bad apple wheel holders? Yes. But I'm damn tired of being lumped in the same group because of 1% of losers.

How about making it easier to get the bad apples OUT of the industry? Allow companies to tell each other WHY a driver was fired, such as he rolled a truck doing unsafe speed. Bring back the black list. Most of the time the bad drivers cycle thru the companies....rather than kicked out.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:46 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Under current mechanics most trucks are already limited to 75 or 80 and much slower going up hill. I do not believe limiting truck speeds to way below normal traffic speeds (around 70 to 80+) around here would increase safety at all. I expect slowing them below traffic speeds would create more hazardous conditions because of road blockage created by having one 66 mph truck being passed by a 67 mph truck. That created a very slow moving roadblock without adequate warnings.

This idea makes as much sense as the 55 mph speed limit a few decades ago. That is - NOT AT ALL!

Old 09-01-2016, 03:33 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,905,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
Government needs to get their damn fingers out of my truck! That truck has payments. I make those payments. When the Government decides to hand me a free truck THEN the can tell me how fast it will go.

All of you who own and have made payments or still are making payments on your car to pickup wouldn't want the government to step in an say.... oops you're going too fast let us fix that.... you can only run 60mph. You would be pissed since YOU pay for that vehicle......

Why the hell do you think they should tell me how fast I can go in MY truck that I make payments on? Keep mechanically safe and sound? Wash wax and dry once a week? Pay insurance that is SKYHIGH mainly due to lying, speeding, self centered, arrogant jerks in their cages?
I understand where you're coming from, but that argument would only work if you werent driving on a government roadway. If they privatize the roads, then the roadway owners should be able to set whatever speed limit they want, whether it be 10mph or 100 mph. It's their road. Same way you expect visitors to your house to follow your rules.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:31 PM

Funny....

Maybe you should look into the taxes that those big rigs pay to run the roads.... private or government.

Just for the "privilege" of owning my truck. $1500 a year, every single year.... this does NOT include registration fees..... Registering a truck costs more depending on the number of states you plan to run in. Every state gets their slice, does your car registration do that? No, you get to run all over the country for one price.....

Then fuel tax of several layers.

Then road use tax paid per mile run in each state paid quarterly. Many states just average your expected miles...doesn't matter if those roads are private toll roads or government roads toll or not.

Trucks pay for those roads, not passenger vehicles. You may pay some state, local tax but nowhere near as much as the big rigs. When cars pay equally, they can complain. When cars are speed governed equally, they can complain. Until then.... if you only drive a cage (four wheeler) butt out of my truck. It pays my bills and keeps plenty of people on the government dole.

I repeat GET THE BAD DRIVERS OUT OF BIG RIGS AND CARS. Leave the rest of us alone.

P.S. your typical car can most likely only top out at 105 mph....... try it sometime. The speed limiter kicks in and drops the cars revs....it kicks back in at 102ish. I've experimented in 3 cars. All of them do it. Only the latest vehicle (with issues LOL) breaks 110..... scared the carp outta me.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:39 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,135 times
This is why people who want to go fast ride motorcycles

Old 09-01-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
I understand where you're coming from, but that argument would only work if you werent driving on a government roadway. If they privatize the roads, then the roadway owners should be able to set whatever speed limit they want, whether it be 10mph or 100 mph. It's their road. Same way you expect visitors to your house to follow your rules.
Clearly you didn't READ the article. It's NOT about a road speed limit but actually messing with the computer on board FROM THE FACTORY so the big rig can't reach a speed faster than 67mph. Will not be physically possible.

As I said how would you like to buy a brand new CAR or PICKUP and be told for safety reasons your vehicle CANNOT EVER go faster than 67mph FROM THE FACTORY......

Old 09-01-2016, 05:47 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:

Trucks pay for those roads, not passenger vehicles.
Sorry but that is not true at all and I have owned my own trucks so I'm not someone just talking out of my ass. The issue is the weight, as the weight of the vehicle rises the damage it does to road and bridges rises exponentially. I don't know what the exact number is but your truck when loaded may be doing as much damage per mile as 100 cars going the same mile. You might of paid 10 cents in fuel taxes and they paid $2..

Quote:
P.S. your typical car can most likely only top out at 105 mph....... try it sometime. The speed limiter kicks in and drops the cars revs....it kicks back in at 102ish. I've experimented in 3 cars. All of them do it. Only the latest vehicle (with issues LOL) breaks 110..... scared the carp outta me.
That can usually be "fixed".

Old 09-01-2016, 07:34 PM

Actually coalman. There is also research that shows passenger vehicles cause more damage by the overwhelming sheer numbers. It all depends on who's agenda is up and running that day.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
There is also research that shows passenger vehicles cause more damage by the overwhelming sheer numbers..
Volume is irrelevant, as the volume increases so does the tax revenue. The comparison you need to make is what a truck pays in fuel taxes compared to X amount of cars producing the same amount of damage. If 100 cars do the same amount of damage as one truck the truck has paid about 10 cents per mile while the cars have paid about $2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies