Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the federal government mechanically limit trucks and buses to below 68MPH?
Yes 21 26.58%
No 35 44.30%
Its not the federal governments place 20 25.32%
I have no idea, I'm too busy texting 3 3.80%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 01:38 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode View Post
Don't you think driving 80 MPH on any public road is more stupid?
Why? Depends on the road conditions and traffic. In much of the west 100 MPH would be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 01:38 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
those guys like guns, and are rednecks. you really think democrats aren't sitting around trying to figure out how to destroy them?

shoot.

You show me a conservative Union President and I'll sell you a bridge in San Fran.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:48 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Yes and they would still be subject to lawsuits, by governing the speed they help prevent lawsuits because of speeding.
Every vehicle on the road is "subject to lawsuits". The pros tend to do things, like limiting speed, that minimize the chances of accidents.

Tell me if you think the guy in the white pickup won his lawsuit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBjY6Aao6Ns

Old 08-30-2016, 02:03 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Every vehicle on the road is "subject to lawsuits".
Yes but there is reason the lawyer is asking you on TV if you have been in an accident with a truck, those policies are very high and/or deep pockets.

Quote:
The pros tend to do things, like limiting speed, that minimize the chances of accidents.
I'd be one of them because I owned a small trucking company. Insurance was not cheap and you needed a multi million dollar policy because if you were in accident the lawyers were coming after you guaranteed your fault or not. Something like speeding is automatically going to make it your fault whether it was the cause or not.

The safest speed to drive is whatever traffic is flowing at and what conditions permit.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:10 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Every single thing you buy in a store got there on a truck, and someone had to pay the truck driver for the time it took him to bring it there. How much more is everything - and yeah, I mean just about everything - we buy going to cost if retailers have to pay truck drivers 15% to 20% more for the time it takes to deliver their loads?
That's not going to be relevant for too much longer, really:

Uber races towards the future of self-driving cars with autonomous truck startup Otto

Experts say that Self-Driving Trucks could soon be seen on Australia’s roads

Self-Driving Trucks are coming -- here's why they make sense

And here's an article from just a couple hours about self-driving vehicles in general:

How Self-Driving Cars will change it all

Old 08-30-2016, 02:45 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
I wouldn't mind a law that made truckers stay in the slow lane. I get tired of being behind trucks going less than the speed limit, but 1 truck can do 2 mph more than the other and stall traffic behind them, as the slightly faster truck tries to pass on a friggen hill.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:01 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalDiscord View Post
Yeah, trust me... this isn't happening to any practical extent in our lifetime.

Our technology is not to the level where we can automate such.

Now stupid politicians may try to force such, but they will catch hell form it.

I have worked at all levels of computer technology for decades and I can tell you I wouldn't trust our level of technology to such responsibility even if I was paid to. Hell no... Hell no.
In our lifetime? We won't see self-driving vehicles in the next 30 or 40 years? If you said that about "cold fusion" I'd understand, but we're already moving toward semi-automation. I think you're under-estimating the changes that will come over a series of decades. But I suppose we'll see. A whole lot of people I know, especially teens and 20s, are READY for self-driving cars. The tide seems to be turning. And how much do you trust some 22 year old more interested in peering at a handheld computer than watching other cars?

Uber's driverless rides in Pittsburgh: What's happening and what it means

Old 08-30-2016, 03:13 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,027,388 times
Because of variances in tire wear, etc, no speed limiting system can effectively hold a vehicle to exactly 68 mph. The result would be a bunch of vehicles who's maximum speeds are close, but not exactly the same.

It would be great being stuck behind a truck going 68.0 mph at full throttle which takes 3 counties to pass another truck which is going 67.9.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:14 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
It doesn't matter- it's just another law that won't be enforced. How often do we see trucks pulled over by police- very rarely.
I agree it's pointless to make laws that no one's going to enforce anyway. But this would be a governer on the car or truck that would keep it from going faster than 68.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:22 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,125,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode View Post
Don't you think driving 80 MPH on any public road is more stupid?
You haven't been on I-10 in New Orleans. 80 is fine if the road can handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies