Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the federal government mechanically limit trucks and buses to below 68MPH?
Yes 21 26.58%
No 35 44.30%
Its not the federal governments place 20 25.32%
I have no idea, I'm too busy texting 3 3.80%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 12:04 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,023,417 times

Advertisements

I drove semis for a couple of years before I had enough. I found driving at a freeway speed of under 65 to be very fatiguing. It feels like you're rolling in a horse driven carriage, and it can put you asleep. You need enough speed just to keep yourself awake. 70-75 was my preferred speed. Every truck I drove was governed at 67 or 68. But even with a light load, the governor is rendered useless downhill. Quite a few times I broke 80mph downhill before hitting the Jake brake.

Another thing, we can govern the speed of trucks, but there is still the same amount of product that needs to be delivered in the same time frame. They'll simply be more trucks added to the highways to compensate for the longer delivery times.

Anyway I switched over to city bus driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
There's no need for a commercial vehicle to be going over 67....too fast too much weight moving..too high a potential for injury..too stressful on drivers...

Easy fix.. governors by manufacturers... Most exist akready
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 03:31 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,905,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
Clearly you didn't READ the article. It's NOT about a road speed limit but actually messing with the computer on board FROM THE FACTORY so the big rig can't reach a speed faster than 67mph. Will not be physically possible.

As I said how would you like to buy a brand new CAR or PICKUP and be told for safety reasons your vehicle CANNOT EVER go faster than 67mph FROM THE FACTORY......
I did read the article (I referred in an earlier post to the governors that some large trucking companies set at 62 mph) if you really doubt me. Regardless, it's still the government setting the limit.

I would be a poor person to ask personally, since the speed limit on local roads here is 25 mph and highways at 55 or 65 mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies