Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 10:10 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Right........ I mean, if Obama had ANY gonads!....
It was OK for HIM to use serious drugs for in excess of marijuana back in college.
Some are saying he did more than smoke it......after all we all do this......President Obama was apparently quite the pothead in high school and even thanked his weed dealer in his senior yearbook.

In fact, it would clear up a lot of mystery surrounding his life. I could never figure out how a dirt-poor fatherless guy who never had a job in his life was able to put himself through Occidental College, Columbia University, and Harvard Law School. Even if he was on full-scholarship, a person has to eat. Maybe Obama was dealing his way through college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 11:04 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Hmmmm, I'll go with that. Lol, kinda bard to argue with, yet, my trepidation for opening the Constitution remains.
There's no need to Crack the Constitution, the constitutional basis of the Federal drug laws just need to be challenged.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:40 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
There's no need to Crack the Constitution, the constitutional basis of the Federal drug laws just need to be challenged.
Yes. As I'd said, a convention of the states petitioning for redress of grievance would be the hot ticket, I'm thinking. It would be hard to ignore, if 2/3 of fbe States challenged federal usurping, on 10A grounds. The 10th is pretty clear. Even the SCOTUS would have trouble blocking such a challenge. It would be a thing of beauty. . I can just imagine the looks on the faces of DCs power elite. Glorious!

Old 09-02-2016, 11:53 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Yes. As I'd said, a convention of the states petitioning for redress of grievance would be the hot ticket, I'm thinking. It would be hard to ignore, if 2/3 of fbe States challenged federal usurping, on 10A grounds. The 10th is pretty clear. Even the SCOTUS would have trouble blocking such a challenge. It would be a thing of beauty. . I can just imagine the looks on the faces of DCs power elite. Glorious!

Completely agree! Look, there will be 30 states with medical and 6-7 states with recreational within the next 2 years. That's not far from the 2/3rds, so it will happen if the FEDs do not walk back their mindless war.

I guess the cop op didn't get the kumbaya responses he expected (demanded, dictated) ...but then, he doesn't define pro-pot people as "people"

Old 09-02-2016, 11:57 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
And doing it that way would rein in DC who would need to check twice before enacting Federal Law. I completely agree it would be a thing of beauty with a good sprinkling of schadenfreude.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:42 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
And doing it that way would rein in DC who would need to check twice before enacting Federal Law. I completely agree it would be a thing of beauty with a good sprinkling of schadenfreude.
A Constitutional Convention is interesting and could go all sorts of direction but is virtually certain to end up no where. You need to get 3/4 of the states to agree to the amendments proposed. That happens with virtually nothing controversial.

Note also that the smaller 2/3 of the states represent less than 1/3 of the US population. So you can end up in a tail wagging the dog situation.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:36 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
We could remove the power to make it illegal.

No it was made illegal at the federal level by imposing an excise tax without providing a way to collect it. That is a federal level issue. The FDA and DEA power come out of an expansive wartime supreme court case about the government's power to regulate interstate commerce. One drug market on the federal level has more benefits than costs. Keeping the FED out of the criminalization of intoxicating substances should be addressed. Amending the amendment legalizing booze would be a good place to start.

The amendment(yes it took and amendment) to make booze illegal, was the only time the constitution took liberty. The document that was established to maintain liberty to its fullest. It was repealed, because it took so much liberty and made criminals of those exercising their liberties. It went back to a 10th amendment issue.

Now, the assumption an excise tax not being able to be imposed, could the same be said for tobacco farmers? How are they controlled by government?

You see, the FDA and the DEA, even the EPA do things, the Constitution does not give them any authority to do.

Where does the Constitution authorize a DEA-ATF? There is no amendment declaring drugs, alcohol, firearms, tobacco, or explosives illegal?

Old 09-02-2016, 02:31 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
A Constitutional Convention is interesting and could go all sorts of direction but is virtually certain to end up no where. You need to get 3/4 of the states to agree to the amendments proposed. That happens with virtually nothing controversial.

Note also that the smaller 2/3 of the states represent less than 1/3 of the US population. So you can end up in a tail wagging the dog situation.
Excuse me? CA will pass 64 and we represent more than 10% alone. If you combine all the states that have passed medical they represent 70% of the population.

This will happen!

https://ballotpedia.org/California_P...lization_(2016)

Look at the ones who support 64... NAACP, black law enforcement (leap), pastors, churches, dozens of mayors, dozens of reps, and Gov. Brown!

It's a lock

Old 09-02-2016, 03:25 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Excuse me? CA will pass 64 and we represent more than 10% alone. If you combine all the states that have passed medical they represent 70% of the population.

This will happen!

https://ballotpedia.org/California_P...lization_(2016)

Look at the ones who support 64... NAACP, black law enforcement (leap), pastors, churches, dozens of mayors, dozens of reps, and Gov. Brown!

It's a lock
Nah. The biggest group calling for a Constitutional convention is the Balanced Budget limited Federal Government set of about 30 states. If you called one for Mj legalization it would still end up launching a balanced budget and other stuff that will go no where. And I don't think there is really much of a chance you would even get the Mj amendment to the states. You may well be able to get 2/3 of the popular vote but you won't get half the states.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:26 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The amendment(yes it took and amendment) to make booze illegal, was the only time the constitution took liberty. The document that was established to maintain liberty to its fullest. It was repealed, because it took so much liberty and made criminals of those exercising their liberties. It went back to a 10th amendment issue.

Now, the assumption an excise tax not being able to be imposed, could the same be said for tobacco farmers? How are they controlled by government?

You see, the FDA and the DEA, even the EPA do things, the Constitution does not give them any authority to do.

Where does the Constitution authorize a DEA-ATF? There is no amendment declaring drugs, alcohol, firearms, tobacco, or explosives illegal?
It isn't a 10th amendment issue it is an interstate commerce issue, as ruled by the supreme court, and an excise tax issue.

Al Capone was imprisoned for not paying the taxes on the illegal liquor he imported and sold.

The federal government can make something illegal by taxing it and refusing to collect the tax. As was done with MJ. You can't fight it and win a 10th amendment fight. You can change the constitution and take away the right to tax and refuse to collect a tax. You can take away the ability to legally make it illegal to use MJ at a federal level without braking the law by changing the constitution. And the states can do that without the federal governments consent. They can win this fight legally.

The federal government collects the excise tax on Tabaco making it legal to sell. Not on MJ.

There is a supreme court ruling that was very expansive of what regulating interstate commerce meant. That gave dea fda etc power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies