Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2016, 09:01 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I will say that when I temporarily lost my wallet (a couple that found it was nice enough to bring it to my house). I started looking through the Texas website seeing what it would take to get a new license and I still had not figured out how I was going to do it when the couple knocked on my door.

I still think you should have ID to vote.

What if it's expired? Did you lose your identity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 09:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Most say "A VALID ID"

An expired Id is NOT a VALID ID.

Sounds like the state wants its $$$ and/or else you lose your identity when your ID expires.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:35 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
its always going be something. never happy

Old 09-04-2016, 09:46 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Republicans are just mad because minorities vote democratic. So they need to make voting more difficult for them. You guys wonder why it's so hard for some to get id's. Some of them have never needed it. When you live in small towns where everyone knows each other no one asks for id. So now you want them to present their birth certificate. Many don't even have it. Instead of suppressing voters, why not make it a priority to get their votes.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:53 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
I find it amazing how you people will go through a number of contortions, gyrations and twists to defend and excuse those that are so lazy and stupid they are incapable of having an ID.
I challenge the media to present a dozen such people---they don't exist.
If they are that detached from society, I hope they don't vote for the sake of the country!
Exactly^^^^

I have to wonder why some people are so threatened by the idea of having to show valid ID to vote that they twist themselves into a pretzel trying to defend voting without an ID.

I posted this video before. This is what could happen if no ID is required to vote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5p70YbRiPw

What's to stop one's next door neighbor from going to the polls and giving your name if no ID is required to vote---or even register to vote? Then when you go to vote, you get told you've voted already.

A poster said that you can contest it. How so if you don't have any ID to prove who you are?

Old 09-05-2016, 05:36 AM

59,109 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The court decision in NC made it clear the intent was blocking certain voter classes tending to be poor and minority. The USSC has declined to interfere with that decision. Thus as a matter of law NC was found to be attempting to discriminate using voter ID.

NV has a perfectly reasonable approach to voter ID. Basically make one in the polling place if the citizen lacks one. That should safisfy all but is never put forward by Republicans as it would not disenfranchise the desired voters.
I certainly DISAGREE with your "opinion" on the ruling, especially, " was blocking certain voter classes tending to be poor and minority."

Who does it affect poor blacks more then poor whites?

Every excuse given should affect ALL the poor NOT just poor blacks but, for some reason poor whites never seem to be in the discussions.

Photo ID HAS been ruled LEGAL in many states.

It WILL happen in NC.

I note you did NOT respond to THIS post by me right after the one you DID respond to. WHY?

" though given how this disenfranchises a group that is already underrepresented"

By "a group", do you mean blacks?

If so how are poor blacks less able to get a photo ID then poor whites or other races?

Old 09-05-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Well..not so much anymore..but don't have to for this one:

Applying for a New DMV Identification Card | DMV.org

This site lists all 50 States ID requirements and fees---if could you please find the free ones?

...and if you could...find enough to justify your using the term "most States"

You should READ your OWN link before making yourself look foolish.

From YOUR site":

"North Carolina
"No-Fee ID Card Program

After January 1, 2014, you will be able to apply for a free NC identification card to be used for voting. To qualify, you will need to:
  • Prove your age and identity.
  • Prove your NC residency.
  • Be registered to vote in North Carolina.
  • Not have a valid driver license.
This form of NC ID card will be valid for voting and for identification purposes only. You will apply using the same documents (proof of name, birth date, Social Security, and residency) as listed above."

"MD Identification Card Fees

The fees for new, renewed or duplicate Maryland ID cards vary.
  • Older than 65 years old: ID Card is free.
  • Disabled: ID Card is free.
I didn't bother to look up any others but, I would NOT be surprised to find more if did.

How does that CROW taste?

Old 09-05-2016, 05:52 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,627,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, it's actually about NOT disenfranchising those who have the legal right to vote. Illegal aliens and legally present non-citizen residents, for example, don't have the right to vote.

What does that have to doing away with early voting and other ease of voting concepts.

I support the ID concept but why end the others unless you are attempting to curtail certain segments of society from voting.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:57 AM

Quote:
I'm going to call BS on that, as well. Can't get a SS number/card without providing proof of age which according to the SSA is...

Evidence of Age
In general, you must provide your birth certificate. In some situations, we may accept another document that
shows your age. Some of the other documents we may accept are:
U.S. hospital record of your birth (created at the time of birth)
Religious record established before age five showing your age or date of birth
Passport
Final Adoption Decree (the adoption decree must show that the birth information was taken from the original
birth certificate)
In addition as of 2010 you HAVE to have a bank account.(Many have used the excuse that many older people do NOT have a bank account) because NO MORE CHECKS WILL BE MAILED OUT. ALL checks will be direct deposit.

In order to OPEN a bank account, a valid photo ID is REQUIRED.

EVERY excuse given has been debunked, over and over and over.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Gun ownership is a Constitutional right, as well, and should also be free. No more requiring costly licenses, permits, etc.
I have arued the same.

EVERY gun law, the 2nd amendment, SHOULD be applied to the 1st amendment and watch them squeal like a stuck pig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies