Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 04:15 PM

75 posts, read 203,979 times

Advertisements

For those that have been "in" the system what is going on with the DUI laws in this country? Granted it is not something that should not be punished but for a violent or repeat offender to get out on little or no bond and someone whom is and has always been a good citizen to have to deal with $30,000-$50,000 bonds and numurous penalties as well as fines,many times even before being found guilty or going to court is against our civil liberties that our fourfathers fought for. Something needs to be done to look into the way these cases are delt with. The actual offerders need to be examined and that taken into account. Is this person a contributing member of society or is he a derilict? Does he make a good living or does he struggle? Imposeing large monitary burdens on the average public does not make for a better society. Just one more apt to comit crimes. Education and counceling would be a much better penalty. Please add comments. Whose making out here. The lawyers? Bailbondsman? Judges?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 04:34 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin3 View Post
For those that have been "in" the system what is going on with the DUI laws in this country? Granted it is not something that should not be punished but for a violent or repeat offender to get out on little or no bond and someone whom is and has always been a good citizen to have to deal with $30,000-$50,000 bonds and numurous penalties as well as fines,many times even before being found guilty or going to court is against our civil liberties that our fourfathers fought for. Something needs to be done to look into the way these cases are delt with. The actual offerders need to be examined and that taken into account. Is this person a contributing member of society or is he a derilict? Does he make a good living or does he struggle? Imposeing large monitary burdens on the average public does not make for a better society. Just one more apt to comit crimes. Education and counceling would be a much better penalty. Please add comments. Whose making out here. The lawyers? Bailbondsman? Judges?
Thankfully I haven't had to deal with this but it is not because I am some angel. Driving is so pervasive in the US and in many cities they don't even try to give one alternatives. I would suggest that the vast majority of people in the US have driven when they shouldn't have. It's just that they weren't unlucky enough to get caught. That is the biggest thing that bothers me about the whole thing. It is basically all about luck or lack-there-of.

In some cities like Phoenix (I used to live there) probably close to 100% of the people you see out at a bar on Friday or Saturday are going to be driving after drinking. It is simply part of the "culture" there. I am not condoning it but there really isn't any other option. Public transit stinks and the cab service is terrible. If the DUI fines were used to build transit, I would probably agree with the increased fines. That would actually do something to reduce the number of people drunk driving. Instead, in most places, the funds are simply thrown in the general fund (i.e. it is a general money maker).

Where I live now this isn't a problem; I don't even have a car anymore. I can walk pretty much anywhere I want and, if need be, take transit or a cab. Much better than having to look over your shoulder or worry about how you are going to get home.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:55 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Back in 1991 in NJ I was hit by a drunk 18YO girl. I lay dying while the 2 oinking donut bellied cops argued over who should take the report and get the kick back for towing the cars. My car landed right on top the the sign that said "welcome to ***" and on the opposite side of the post said "welcome to****" the other town. Very strange that my car landed to rest half in one town and half in the other.

Yes this happened to me.

I do not believe in this "driving is a privilege" crap. Who ever came up with that? I also do not believe in shooting radiation at us to catch us driving over the artificially low speed limits just so they can raise funds for the policemans ball. Thank the stars they no longer use the radar radiation guns. I also do not believe in road side stop checkpoints. They violate the constitution. But without these tools how can we stop drunks?

So as far as drunk drivers I dont have to much to say good either. Your thoughts about raping them for committing this crime? Yea it probably is excessive. To the govt, they think money/fines is a deterrent but it is only a revenue raiser.

Whats the answer? I dont know short of banning alchol. I could care less because I never had a drink in my 50 years but I do care about the govt trying to control our lives even more then they already do.

If $30,000 fines can not deter driving drunk then what can? I am sitting here to tell my story with little in the way of opinions how to deal with it. But there are many many many who lost loved ones to a drunk who might have an answer more harsh then I.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:03 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
I used to be a dispatcher for the police department in the town I lived in, in Texas. On one night there was a two car accident, one was a drunk, one was a van full of a family. They kept calling me to send out MORE body bags because ONE drunk killed the ENTIRE family.

Personally I think the laws should be MORE strict. I would be happy if they posted the fact that the person has a DUI on their license plate should they EVER be allowed to drive again.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:43 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
There are circumstances where such draconian measures might be appropriately considered. But the system as it is operated here for sure, and in most places from the sound of things, is indeed nothing but a revenue-raising racket for local governments, lawyers, and the supposed treatment industry. There is no actual justice, and there is no actual protection. There are simply nets cast that haul in way more dolphins than tuna, but they all go off to the processing plant regardless. This isn't even a close call. Anyone who looks behind the curtain on this one is going to come to some form of the same conclusion...

Old 04-28-2008, 06:17 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I used to be a dispatcher for the police department in the town I lived in, in Texas. On one night there was a two car accident, one was a drunk, one was a van full of a family. They kept calling me to send out MORE body bags because ONE drunk killed the ENTIRE family.

Personally I think the laws should be MORE strict. I would be happy if they posted the fact that the person has a DUI on their license plate should they EVER be allowed to drive again.
I'll go along with that, there are to many ways not to drink and drive, to many people die from drunk drivers.
Note, I drink, but I never drink and drive.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:19 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
If you drive drunk, you are pretty much a horrible citizen and horrible human being.

$50,000 will not bring back any one of the numerous friends I lost to drunk drivers who walked out without a scratch. Most of them had no prior offenses. If you get caught driving drunk, it's attempted manslaughter. Sorry... no sympathy from me. I'd have their licenses permanently revoked and serious jail time on a first offense. $50,000 is chump change for what people who drive under the influence are risking.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
i saw your threads. you wrote some pretty good posts. i hear you. got lots of friends bikin and walkin who really had not had that much to drink. however its really about MADD. a group of moms that got tired of drunks killin their kids and then laughin about it at the bar after they got off scott free.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:42 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
If you drive drunk you should go to jail period. But the penalty should depend more on HOW drunk you were and if you have priors than just a "DUI" where all people are treated equally- whether they are .08 or .30.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:28 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,063,439 times
A year in jail as a mandatory sentence would cut down on the people who claim they don't have an option after they are out drinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies