Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 07:55 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,701,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Why isn't World Vision?

Do you ever see any poor American children in those commercials?

This is an interesting topic for discussion that perhaps could do with it's own thread.
Maybe it's because the wealthiest country in the history of the world doesn't want to see images of the tens of millions we leave behind here?

Just saying.......marketing is a well known science.

It's always easier to forget about the person close to home.

We often give a lot to charity around the end of the year (in addition to volunteering). This year I looked around and saw that many of our friends and supporters (caregivers and even our housecleaner) were struggling and working hard....I told my wife "charity starts at home this year" and we gave large sums of money to those close to our family. I still gave to Seva and PP, etc. but mostly just keep it close to home.

When it comes to charity - its mostly all good. My doc goes to Haiti for a month each year and I am 100% sure that "flaming liberal" helps a LOT of people and relieves their suffering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 07:56 AM

89,194 posts, read 44,965,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Do you ever take a personal vacation?
Oh, so now the temper tantrum march has morphed into a 'vacation?'

And a publicly sexist and bigoted one, at that.

Women's March 'Dangerous Space' With 'Oppressive Message'

White Women Marched For Themselves At Women's March On Washington | Essence.com

Old 01-24-2017, 07:59 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,701,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
A hundred years ago, women marched for the vote. There were women who thought they were "vulgar, disgusting, unwomanly..." We got the vote.

It's too damn bad that the rights women march and fight for are enjoyed by the women who oppose them.
This is always the way things are.

Like the dude who petitioned his senator and yelled "keep your government hands off my medicare" or the many people who said they like the ACA but want to get rid of ObamaCare.

My bet is that if you deconstructed a lot of the individuals (female) who dislike such a march, you would find a numbers of them who have been abused or at least heavily controlled by men and bought into the cycle.

A normally sane person would probably not care either way - that is, they would look at the March and think "I don't feel strong enough to do that, but good for them".

To oppose it takes a much stronger bent.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:01 AM

51,659 posts, read 25,887,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You think suggesting actually doing something useful and helpful like donating to a domestic violence shelter instead of selfishly wasting money on oneself to be in an unfocused and ineffective temper tantrum march is "having a meltdown?" I'll be sure to let the women and kids in dire need of help that you believe so. /SMH
You do know that domestic violence shelters are the result of women who had "temper tantrums" and "meltdowns" over this sorry situation, correct?

When I grew up, husbands could beat the crap out of their wives and children and they had no where to go, no one to protect them.

If they called the police, they would have to sign a complaint against their husbands to have him even temporarily removed.

This situation changed because women got together and changed it. They raised funds for women's shelters and women's transitional housing and child abuse centers. They insisted that the laws change so that police could arrest anyone who assaulted their wives and children, just as they arrest anyone who assaults a stranger on the street.

Men didn't change this.

Women did.

So get off your high horse. Quit posting ridiculous nonsense. Get out and do something.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:04 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,735,521 times
Quote:
Oh, so now the temper tantrum march has morphed into a 'vacation?'

And a publicly sexist and bigoted one, at that.

Women's March 'Dangerous Space' With 'Oppressive Message'

White Women Marched For Themselves At Women's March On Washington | Essence.com
Great deflection!

Why don't you just answer my question?

Old 01-24-2017, 08:05 AM

89,194 posts, read 44,965,842 times
Quote:
You do know that domestic violence shelters are the result of women who had "temper tantrums" and "meltdowns" over this sorry situation, correct?
Really? Where's the pussyhat march on Washington, DC protesting domestic violence instead of having a temper tantrum because their candidate lost? Got any links?

Old 01-24-2017, 08:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,049,999 times
Quote:
A hundred years ago, women marched for the vote. There were women who thought they were "vulgar, disgusting, unwomanly..." We got the vote.

Fifty years ago, women marched for equal rights. There were women who thought they were "vulgar, disgusting, unwomanly..." ERA didn't pass but things got a lot better for women.

Now we're marching again. There are women who think we are "vulgar, disgusting, unwomanly..."

Still have a ways to go, as this article points out: https://medium.com/@dinachka82/about...a6f#.txk2bk6wk

It's too damn bad that the rights women march and fight for are enjoyed by the women who oppose them.
All those you mention had a singular clear message about some right they didn't have that others did.
This march contained NOTHING of those movements you point to.
I would go as far to say you do your ancestors a great disservice trying to compare the vulgar mess on Saturday to those selfless women who fought in decades past. They didn't walk around tossing F-Bombs or having female body parts as hats/masks/signs nor, according to history did they visit violence upon those that disagreed with them UNLIKE the mess on Saturday.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:08 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,328,425 times
Quote:
It's your right and your choice to believe that selfishly spending money on oneself to participate in an ineffective (and now even criticized by minorities and transgenders as bigoted and sexist) narcissistic self-indulgent temper tantrum march is a better use of one's money than donating to domestic violence shelters, food pantries, PP, etc.

But think very carefully about what that says about you.
We could call a lot of things "selfish spending"--- going to football games, going skiing, target practice, running around in a snowmobile or on dirt bike, etc, etc. You are trying SO hard to discredit the woman's march with this nonsense and ridiculous line of criticism that it only points out the fact that you have NOTHING real to b*tch about. Three million woman made an impactful statement about where Mr. Trump plans to take our nation and that rubs you the wrong way. Tough cookies, buddy. Free speech and peaceful assembly are still legal. For now.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,049,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
We could call a lot of things "selfish spending"--- going to football games, going hunting, target practice, running around in a snowmobile or on dirt bike, etc, etc. You are trying SO hard to discredit the woman's march with this nonsense and ridiculous line of criticism that it only points out the fact that you have NOTHING real to b*tch about. Three million woman make an impactful statement about where Mr. Trump plans to take our nation and that rubs you the wrong way. Tough cookies, buddy. Free speech and peaceful assembly are still legal. For now.
Ummm, can you PROVE there were 3 million people or is that just a figure pulled from someone's arse?

Old 01-24-2017, 08:12 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,048,778 times
Lol, these people not at any of the marches cannot stop ranting and raving about what they were and were not about. I can almost see the cartoon steam coming out of their ears!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies