Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 05:00 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
That is beside the point. Substitute government mandated sterilization, and see how the Libs squeal, yet the government providing free birth control is swell. The end result is the same.
Not hardly....in the first it is the STATE that decides who gets sterilized and I'm surprised a conservative is in favor of such government intrusion! Also, sterilization is pretty much permanent - which in no way compares to allowing choice among several contraceptive choices, most of which can be discontinued at any point pregnancy is desired.

You may begin squealing now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 06:13 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Not hardly....in the first it is the STATE that decides who gets sterilized and I'm surprised a conservative is in favor of such government intrusion! Also, sterilization is pretty much permanent - which in no way compares to allowing choice among several contraceptive choices, most of which can be discontinued at any point pregnancy is desired.

You may begin squealing now.
In no way did I say I'm in favor of it.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:14 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
But, of course, we do, since we vote.

If abortion is a "private thing" then it needs to be 100% private, and that means no federal or State tax dollars funding abortion.
Go ahead and keep believing you get to dictate where your tax dollars go, bless your heart.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:02 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,240,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Nobody is saying having children doesn't have rewards, but you are ignoring/minimizing what you euphemistically label the "physical and mental stress" of childbirth. All women should understand exactly what will happen to their bodies (as well as what probably will happen, and what may happen rarely) as a result of making that decision.

You may die because of your pregnancy/childbirth. Here in America, "7.2 women died per 100,000 births in 1987, that number swelled to 17.8 deaths per 100,000 live births in 2009 and 2011." https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ed-in-the-u-s/ There are some problems that, even with the best medical intervention, will cause the death of the mother (as well as the death of the fetus).

Childbirth is one of the most agonizingly painful things any human can experience--and it can last up to 48 hours. Even with medication, the pain is horrendous--and increasingly, I hear of obstetricians who simply never give any pain medication during the long labor and delivery, despite it being strongly requested by the expectant mother (the excuse being it was "too early" and then "too late" to give it). From the doctor's viewpoint, the pain will go away when the process is over--but if he administers medication, he runs the risk of something going wrong and triggering a medical malpractice lawsuit.

Even under the best circumstances, childbirth is unbelievably traumatic to a woman's body (one friend called it "incredibly and unexpectedly violent"). The act of delivering her son actually broke my sister-in-law's tailbone, and she almost died, just because the baby was very large. And we all know that inevitably, your most sensitive skin either rips or is cut (without anesthesia, because you're in so much pain you won't notice).

The mother's body will be permanently injured--to the point that a forensic pathologist can determine approximately how many children the woman had, just from her pelvic bones. The list of common permanent health problems resulting from pregnancy is long: urinary incontinence (Your Guide to Urinary Incontinence After Childbirth | Fit Pregnancy and Baby), fistulas (https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...-by-childbirth), diabetes (Any long-term effects after childbirth? - Straight Dope Message Board), hormone-caused cancers like breast cancer (Does Pregnancy Increase Risk of Breast Cancer? We Ask Oncologists – Insight), episiotomy or tear scar tissue (episiotomy scar pain with second pregnancy? (tmi) - BabyCenter), stretch marks, etc.

And after all this, add on the mental stress of pregnancy, childbirth, raising very expensive children in a world of declining working class pay, watching said children grow up and leave the family (the "empty nest" syndrome), and dealing with the emotions caused if the child makes very bad choices or suffers death, disability, or other misfortune. The marriage (if there is one) is often a casualty: men in general (at least traditionally) are expected to dedicate themselves primarily to a career, while women tend to put their children/family first--and therefore the men have less incentive to have children than women. It is common that the husband will leave the marriage after a child (or two) reaches the 3 or 4 year age point, perhaps because of an evolutionary advantage to men who move on to another woman, who will then demand children.

So let's not dismiss the "costs" of having a child or several; those costs are significant and often permanent. Women are free to choose to have children, but they should do so fully aware of the price they will pay.

I find it interesting that NO ONE has responded to this post.

My grandmother died in childbirth, along with the child, leaving my father an orphan. His father was away serving in Europe during the war. Knowing that as a child made me understand that childbirth is not only dangerous, but sometimes deadly.

Some questions that I have often asked, but which have never been answered is this: Does an unborn baby have an immortal soul? If it does, how does it damage the baby's soul to be miscarried or aborted? And if everything happens according to God's plan, why would it not be part of God's plan to abort or miscarry a baby?

I fear that although this seems like the right place to pose these questions, I may still not get an answer, just as NHartphotog got none.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:03 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Again, Medicaid, State or Federal, does not fund abortion on demand, only abortions that are deemed medically necessary.

'Therapeutic'....I suggest you look up the definition. Most all medical procedures of any kind would be called therapeutic.....including ending a pregnancy that could negatively effect the health of a woman.
And that's what's used to get Medicaid to pay for it. Just like I said.

Quote:
Why is it that women's health is a political issue at all?
Because they want the government to pay for it. At that point it becomes a political issue because taxpayer money is used to fund it.

Pay for it yourself and no one gives a crap what you do.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
If you are irresponsible when driving a car, and, let's say, end up with multiple broken bones and need surgery, the government doesn't say....."If you can't pay for treatment yourself, too bad for you. You f'up, you pay for it."
They don't? Who gets the bill? The government? Nope. The self-injured party gets the bill. There is no 'you f'ed up and crashed your car' government health care fund.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
people are infallible, you forget your keys, to turn off the coffee pot. people do get rushed and forget. that doesn't mean they are irresponsible. abortion is taking responsibility.

there is also a great deal of abortions and births resulting from teenagers who have no intention of having sex that find themselves engaging in sex on a spur of a romantic moment. you will never make this segment of young people be "responsible". life isn't black or white, it has greys as well as human error.
Those are all making excuses for irresponsibility. Taxpayers shouldn't be forced to pay for others' carelessness.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
hyde amendment.
Then why is Medicaid paying for abortions in 17 states, according to Planned Parenthood?

Old 02-02-2017, 06:19 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
And that's what's used to get Medicaid to pay for it. Just like I said.

Because they want the government to pay for it. At that point it becomes a political issue because taxpayer money is used to fund it.

Pay for it yourself and no one gives a crap what you do.
The bolded is not true, all the pro lifers and religious rwnj's would still care, and would try to find a way to stop it

Old 02-02-2017, 06:19 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,038,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Please explain the logic. You have a group of individuals that want abortion to be illegal. They want planned parenthood (birth control to low income) to stop being funded, and the same group, are the first to tell a single mom that should not have had kids, she could not afford.

Life does not work that way. You can't take away someone's ability to prevent an issue, but then blame them when they have an issue.

Seriously, someone please explain the thought process because it really makes no sense.
Sure you can! Just be a Regressive Republican. Double-think is what they do. So, yes - preventing forms of birth-control and then refusing to help poor families makes complete sense to them. But these are the same twits who wave guns around and demand violence and hatred while pretending to be Christian... while violating every teaching of Christ.

You cannot reason with the far-right. They are brain-washed and trade in double-think and black-white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies