Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 12:17 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
She voted for Romney and Paxton in 2012 & 2014 prior to being caught, those votes counted at the time, whatever that has to do with the major point.

The point is this is extreme even by Texas standards, I don't see that keeping her locked up for 8 years accomplishes anything. The County DA was on a mission, even Paxton was willing to accept a plea.
She was convicted and sentenced almost 2 months ago -- what is the point in the rehash of a lot of mis-information?

Ortega WAS offered a deal by the Tarrant County D.A. Probation & probable deportation. She and her attorney rejected that deal. Ortega and her lawyer wanted the jury trial - they felt sure she would be acquitted.
They were wrong. I often wonder about people that make idiotic decisions and are SO SURE they are correct -- I listen to them and wonder - what if you are wrong? Do they never consider "what if I'm wrong?" NOPE

Tarrant County district attorney had offered probation in voter fraud case |Ft Worth Star Telegram -2/13/17
A Grand Prairie mother of four sentenced to eight years in prison for illegally voting had been offered a plea deal in August for two years’ probation but rejected it because it would have likely led to her deportation, according to court documents and her lawyer.

The Jury handed down the sentence - I've served on several juries and in each of the cases I've served on - the jury decided on the sentence.

Jordan said the sentence was up to the jury.

“Our prosecutors — one from the attorney general’s office and one from our office — made no punishment recommendation,” Jordan said. “We said, ‘Do what you think is right.’ We didn’t ask specifically for penitentiary time.”

She received 8 years in a prison and a $5,000 fine for each of 2 counts. She doesn't think she did anything wrong and that's the real issue. It IS wrong to vote fraudulently - at some point, people hit a Red Line and that's what happened with this jury. You have to draw the line somewhere, you can't allow Illegal Voting and that's what she did ..... even though it was carefully explained to her that if you are not a Citizen - You can NOT Vote in US Elections. She shouldn't have rolled the dice thinking that because she voted Republican she would get off with no punishment. I would have voted for conviction if I were on that jury - not 8 years, but certainly some Jail time. You have to draw the line somewhere so that people understand that the Right to Vote is important and Illegal Voting must be punished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 12:39 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
She was convicted and sentenced almost 2 months ago -- what is the point in the rehash of a lot of mis-information?

Ortega WAS offered a deal by the Tarrant County D.A. Probation & probable deportation. She and her attorney rejected that deal. Ortega and her lawyer wanted the jury trial - they felt sure she would be acquitted.
They were wrong. I often wonder about people that make idiotic decisions and are SO SURE they are correct -- I listen to them and wonder - what if you are wrong? Do they never consider "what if I'm wrong?" NOPE

Tarrant County district attorney had offered probation in voter fraud case |Ft Worth Star Telegram -2/13/17
A Grand Prairie mother of four sentenced to eight years in prison for illegally voting had been offered a plea deal in August for two years’ probation but rejected it because it would have likely led to her deportation, according to court documents and her lawyer.

The Jury handed down the sentence - I've served on several juries and in each of the cases I've served on - the jury decided on the sentence.

Jordan said the sentence was up to the jury.

“Our prosecutors — one from the attorney general’s office and one from our office — made no punishment recommendation,” Jordan said. “We said, ‘Do what you think is right.’ We didn’t ask specifically for penitentiary time.”

She received 8 years in a prison and a $5,000 fine for each of 2 counts. She doesn't think she did anything wrong and that's the real issue. It IS wrong to vote fraudulently - at some point, people hit a Red Line and that's what happened with this jury. You have to draw the line somewhere, you can't allow Illegal Voting and that's what she did ..... even though it was carefully explained to her that if you are not a Citizen - You can NOT Vote in US Elections. She shouldn't have rolled the dice thinking that because she voted Republican she would get off with no punishment. I would have voted for conviction if I were on that jury - not 8 years, but certainly some Jail time. You have to draw the line somewhere so that people understand that the Right to Vote is important and Illegal Voting must be punished.
I didn't really think they would follow through with this. also her attorney disagrees with the county DA Sharen Wilson as far as the plea deal. Sure sounds like they were influenced by Trump to come up with that punishment, strange coincidence how her penalty was the most severe in recent history. Many were let off with probation and she had a 6th grade education.

The article indicates that the jury did the sentencing, 10 women and 2 men sending someone to jail for 8 years, that is one insane bunch of people.

Quote:
Mr. Birdsall said Mr. Paxton’s office had been prepared to dismiss all charges against Ms. Ortega if she agreed to testify on voting procedures before the Texas Legislature. But the Tarrant County criminal district attorney, Sharen Wilson, vetoed that deal, he said, insisting on a trial that would showcase her office’s efforts to crack down on election fraud.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:09 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,008 times
New York Times is the source of this story- I must question its accuracy.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Nowhere near severe enough.

160 years in supermax solitary confinement is more appropriate.

Whatshe did was defecate on the graves of every veteran who gave his life for the defense of this nation.

I hope she dies in prison.
It's good thing she didn't shoot someone.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:06 PM

27,156 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That seems rather severe since they lack evidence of true intent to steer an election.
By the way Paxton was charged with securities fraud.

Voting when you do not have that Right is exactly what then?

Old 04-04-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Voting when you do not have that Right is exactly what then?
It's a crime but in the past penalties ranged from community service up to 3 years, this is extreme.

Last edited by Goodnight; 04-04-2017 at 03:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies