Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 03:22 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
Viability does not determine existence. And prior to viability, what does it have "the potential to become"? A motorbike? A tree? A dinosaur?
Gee aren't you the witty one....lets apply the common sense filter.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 03:22 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The spouse can decide to pull the plug unless the person on life support has someone other than their spouse as a legal representative for medical decisions. My father had no DNR of any type and my mother was the one that made the decision when it was time to pull the plug. No court was involved.

Your spouse automatically has medical power of attorney unless you appoint someone else as your medical POA.
That's only the case in some states but not most.

From the American Bar Association:

http://www.americanbar.org/content/d...thcheckdam.pdf

Quote:
For health care decisions, some states have family consent laws permitting other family members to make some health care decisions on your behalf. But in most states, no one, not even your spouse, has the legal right to make any kind of decision on your behalf; they might have to file a court petition to get it, and obtaining such guardianships or conservatorships can be expensive, time-consuming, and still not accomplish your wishes.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:44 PM

8,894 posts, read 5,376,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Then buy a horse farm............
It's my backyard and I should be able to do what I want with it!

Old 02-22-2017, 03:48 PM

8,894 posts, read 5,376,871 times
Quote:
My preemies didn't become parasites until they were 16 and wouldn't get jobs.
I've heard this type of parasite can hang around for 20 or more years.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:50 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You are saying is it human not does it have human rights. There is a difference.
And yes.
Why are people prosecuted and convicted for manslaughter when they cause the death of a fetus?

And, that yes is wrong in the majority of states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
I'm no expert on this, but I know I am pro-choice while not liking the idea of abortions. I just don't feel it's my place to dictate to a woman what she should do with her body. However, you pose an interesting question. I'd say the moment that makes a fetus a baby is the cutting of the umbilical cord. A preterm (or full term for that matter) baby isn't forced to breath on it's own until that cord is cut. It's never experienced hunger until then either.
Again, that's like saying a person in prolonged coma is no longer a person with rights.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:51 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
"What more do you want?"

I wanna rock!
The fact that you won't answer my questions speaks volumes.

You don't even believe the nonsense you post on the subject of abortion.

You play devil's advocate just for the fun of it......aka.....trolling.

Which means, you KNOW there are restrictions on third trimester abortions, you agree with those restrictions and you believe third trimester abortion should remain legal.

Thanks for playing.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:52 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,742,527 times
Quote:
What major biological change happened to you between the day before your delivery and the day of your delivery?

Are preemies not humans until they get to the magical day they should have been born?

Of course, I think it's weird that you feel a government decides who is a human.

We saw how well that worked out for slaves in the US and Jews in Germany.
Cool. If the government shouldn't be defining who is and is not human, than abortion is just a medical procedure and they have no business interfering.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Why are people prosecuted and convicted for manslaughter when they cause the death of a fetus?

And, that yes is wrong in the majority of states.

Again, that's like saying a person in prolonged coma is no longer a person with rights.
Feticide laws are almost entirely based on some version of viability. If you want to quibbble about viability, go ahead, but before viability a fetus is not a person.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Viability does not determine existence. And prior to viability, what does it have "the potential to become"? A motorbike? A tree? A dinosaur?
Is a seed a tree? Like literally a tree? The answer would be a no, btw. Hence why we call it a seed not a tree. Same with a fetus and a person.

If you follow this line of reasoning back, even eggs and sperm are people. Seriously what is the difference between an ovum and a person? An ovum could become a person, the same way a fetus could become a person. Both just need the right series of events and conditions in order to become the same thing.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:59 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Wrong, pro-life allows you to choose whether you want to parent the child you created or give it over for adoption. Pregnancy limits the freedom of the mother for 9 months or less. Abortion limits the freedom of the unborn child forever.
IF IT DOESN'T KILL HER.......which will limit her freedom forever.

And the fact that it can kill her means she has the right to terminate in defense of her own life.

No woman has to risk her life against her will to carry a pregnancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies