Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 02:26 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Because humans have rights, hence the term human rights.

If a person is in an accident and on life support and has no living will or DNR of any type, can the spouse waltz in and tell the doctor to pull the plug?

Nope. It has to go through the courts because of that person's rights.
You are saying is it human not does it have human rights. There is a difference.
And yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 02:28 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,671,115 times
It's a woman's body, it's her choice.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:29 PM

778 posts, read 339,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Depending what stage the development is at determines viability, it has the potential to become a human being.
Viability does not determine existence. And prior to viability, what does it have "the potential to become"? A motorbike? A tree? A dinosaur?

Old 02-22-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The consensus is that a fetus is viable at 28 weeks. My grandson was living/breathing/functioning outside of the womb, so yes he was a viable human being at that point.
Whose consensus?

Old 02-22-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
In Rome (the nation, not the city) it was acceptable and not uncommon to throw out unwanted newborn babies. That is a good illustration of the arbitrariness of our definitions of life and viability. The only thing that matters is what the law says. So whatever the law decides I am fine with. In the final analysis it is law that defines morality.
Right, so slavery is moral because it was legal at some point?

Old 02-22-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
This. And an unwanted pregnancy can feel exactly like a cancer.
Doesn't matter what "a pregnancy can feel like" It has to do with a human being. My boss can feel like a cancer, so I guess your logic means I should be able to kill him.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
There is no argument if you say:
A pro-choice law allows you to be pro-choice or pro-life depending on your views.
A pro-life law does not allow anyone to be pro-choice regardless of their views.

Pro-life law, excludes a group of people and limits freedom, pro-choice does not period. The correct way to implement is pro-choice law. /EndofDiscussion
Wrong, pro-life allows you to choose whether you want to parent the child you created or give it over for adoption. Pregnancy limits the freedom of the mother for 9 months or less. Abortion limits the freedom of the unborn child forever.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:41 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What major biological change happened to you between the day before your delivery and the day of your delivery?

Are preemies not humans until they get to the magical day they should have been born?

Of course, I think it's weird that you feel a government decides who is a human.

We saw how well that worked out for slaves in the US and Jews in Germany.
I'm no expert on this, but I know I am pro-choice while not liking the idea of abortions. I just don't feel it's my place to dictate to a woman what she should do with her body. However, you pose an interesting question. I'd say the moment that makes a fetus a baby is the cutting of the umbilical cord. A preterm (or full term for that matter) baby isn't forced to breath on it's own until that cord is cut. It's never experienced hunger until then either.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:43 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
Right, so slavery is moral because it was legal at some point?
Societal mores are those values that dictate what is considered moral. They are subject to change over time. Much of the debates going on about LGBT rights are a contemporary example of such change.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:07 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,804,486 times
Default I refute it thus! (kicks pebble)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post

Again, law has in the past stated many things. If your point is to argue law, then you have no grounds to object against law when it does not suit your fancy. That is, if law says women can be raped legally, who are you to argue with the law? Right? After all, many cultures have laws that allow the subjugation, rape, and mistreatment of women, are they also right because it is their law? If not, are you not then ethnocentric?
The question posed in the OP was How do you respond to this pro-life argument? The first answer is that in Roe v. Wade, abortion is legal, within the limits set in Roe. That's actually a sufficient answer - if you want to change cases, then the first thing to do is overturn Roe v. Wade.

Second, the law is not a question of your fancy - or @ least, it isn't so in the West, nor in the US specifically. I don't know that the Koran - if that's what you're referring to - allows the rape of women in general. & whether or not many cultures have laws that allow that, we don't live in many cultures, we live - or @ least I do - in the US.

Yah, the law in the US has gone astray in the past, & may yet again. @ that point, we'll all have to join in & lobby to change the law, to conform to what is right & just. That's part of the thrill of living in a representative republic.

& in the US, one is always entitled to self-defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies