Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 07:40 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times

Advertisements

I'm pro choice, simply because your religious and/or political views have absolutely nothing to do with someone else's body. I really don't see how you could argue that, but I'm open to any arguments.

I think cigarettes cause cancer, and so do over 95% of doctors on the planet. But I don't go around telling people to stop smoking. Do what you want, it's your body/life, not mine. So why does my opinion matter? Same concept can apply to a lot in this world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 07:42 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
They violate the potential father.
Men should not have sex with women who do not want kids, then.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:43 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Why are people prosecuted and convicted for manslaughter when they cause the death of a fetus?

And, that yes is wrong in the majority of states.
Thats a good question. Seems I read somewhere the reasoning has something to do with the mother intentions on delivering. I do believe the laws vary by state. IMO it should follow the point of viability but I dont make the laws.

People in comas and life support can not make decisions for themselves. What rights do they have to enjoy or decisions to make other than to remain on life support or not. Are they still required to fill out their taxes, pay their bills, etc.? I'd say all or most states have a DNR order so one can make the decision prior. In my state the family can make the decision if no DNR was signed, we pulled the plug on my father without any court ruling. Otherwise the decision is made by the state itself or power of attorney given to another. So no a person unable to make complex decisions or care for themselves does not have autonomy.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Is a seed a tree? Like literally a tree? The answer would be a no, btw. Hence why we call it a seed not a tree. Same with a fetus and a person.

If you follow this line of reasoning back, even eggs and sperm are people. Seriously what is the difference between an ovum and a person? An ovum could become a person, the same way a fetus could become a person. Both just need the right series of events and conditions in order to become the same thing.
Right. People have bacon and eggs not bacon and baby chicken.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:58 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,902,827 times
Quote:
Yes.
So there you have it. You know my position. /shrug

Old 02-23-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
If the premise is that women are required to risk their lives, and lose their inherent body autonomy because an embryo is a person and depriving them of that results in the loss of the embryos "life", why is an actual person, not allowed to legally force their parents to donate organs to them?
I find your argument more of an attempt to be an "I gotcha", and not well thought out because of it than I see it as an honest query to the issue.

The reason the woman is forced to bring to term and deliver the child is because there really is no practical means safely seeing the child transferred. Once a child is born, the parents requirements can be separated from the child, allowing someone else to take over care. That means, there is no grounds for forcing the parent at this stage as a sake of safety as the offspring survival is not directly reliant on the parent. So, as callous and irresponsible it is of the parent to not want to help their offspring, you can not respect the liberty of the parent by forcing them to attend to the offspring in such a manner. By the basis of basic required responsibilities, the parents actions are not directly the cause of harm of the offspring while the parent foregoing their responsibilities in gestation is the direct cause of death of the child. we can find other ways to help a child/adult that is born if a family member refuses to help.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the mother is more important than a fetus,...
We already covered this, you place specific values on life. This is nothing new, it has been done throughout history. Nobles put a lesser value on their subjects, slave owners on their slaves, at times in history men put lesser value on women, and you put lesser value on the conceived child.

/shrug

Old 02-23-2017, 09:30 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,010,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
We already covered this, you place specific values on life. This is nothing new, it has been done throughout history. Nobles put a lesser value on their subjects, slave owners on their slaves, at times in history men put lesser value on women, and you put lesser value on the conceived child.

/shrug
shrug all you like, many things in life are more important than something else. in the case of a woman's ability to control her own reproduction and live her life according to her won value, yes the woman is more important.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I find your argument more of an attempt to be an "I gotcha", and not well thought out because of it than I see it as an honest query to the issue.

The reason the woman is forced to bring to term and deliver the child is because there really is no practical means safely seeing the child transferred. Once a child is born, the parents requirements can be separated from the child, allowing someone else to take over care. That means, there is no grounds for forcing the parent at this stage as a sake of safety as the offspring survival is not directly reliant on the parent. So, as callous and irresponsible it is of the parent to not want to help their offspring, you can not respect the liberty of the parent by forcing them to attend to the offspring in such a manner. By the basis of basic required responsibilities, the parents actions are not directly the cause of harm of the offspring while the parent foregoing their responsibilities in gestation is the direct cause of death of the child. we can find other ways to help a child/adult that is born if a family member refuses to help.
Man you pretty much described and admitted the stance of many pro-lifers is that getting that fetus developed and out of the womb is the only matter of importance then after that the hell with it. Parents have no further responsibility and hey maybe someone will find some way to help that baby through its life, yep, maybe. Oh well, who cares just so long as it gets born.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:21 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,010,807 times
Quote:

The reason the woman is forced to bring to term and deliver the child is because there really is no practical means safely seeing the child transferred. Once a child is born, the parents requirements can be separated from the child, allowing someone else to take over care. That means, there is no grounds for forcing the parent at this stage as a sake of safety as the offspring survival is not directly reliant on the parent. So, as callous and irresponsible it is of the parent to not want to help their offspring you can not respect the liberty of the parent by forcing them to attend to the offspring in such a manner. By the basis of basic required responsibilities, the parents actions are not directly the cause of harm of the offspring while the parent foregoing their responsibilities in gestation is the direct cause of death of the child. we can find other ways to help a child/adult that is born if a family member refuses to help.
"you can not respect the liberty of the parent by forcing them to attend the offspring in such a manner"

same can be said for a woman that does not want to remain pregnant for 9 months, labor, deliver, or adopt out a child. to gestate for 9 months against her will IS going against her liberty. she risks her death, and overall health in some cases. in many cases she risk the loss of her job, or her economic status.

many people can't/won't put themselves in the shoes of another. finding the whole experience and reality of pregnancy, birth, far removed and abstract from their life to see the realities of an unwanted pregnancy.

don't want an abortion don't have one. mind your sperm if you don't like abortion. leave my reproduction and every other woman their own liberty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies