Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 04:37 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Who said I was a liberal? And even if I was, those people do not represent me. I represent me and I alone can speak for what I believe. And the most important thing that I believe in is politics, as in I believe in discourse. What troubles me more than anything is that so little of it seems to be happening. So if that's what the people protesting want, then I guess I do agree with them (though I don't believe in protest as useful protests are rare).
Ok then. I have no problem with speaking out but I have an issue with attacking people who are speaking out and saying things you don't agree with. They have as much right to speak out as you do but it appears that liberals don't think they do.

Speaking out doesn't have to be violent, it doesn't have to be where property is destroyed. Martin Luther King got his point out and he didn't have to be violent or destroy property. That's one of the reasons he was great. These leftist look like losers who resort to violence, destruction and hate because they want their way. They have no respect for anyone, why should we respect them?

Last edited by petch751; 03-05-2017 at 04:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 04:42 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,228,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Ok then. We both believe in discourse but discourse that makes sense. It doesn't have to be violent, it doesn't have to be where property is destroyed. Martin Luther King got his point out and he didn't have to be violent or destroy property. That's one of the reasons he was great. These leftist look like losers who resort to violence, destruction and hate because they want their way. They have no respect for anyone, why should we respect them?
Well many of them are just angry. I don't know what the best way to handle it is, but I'd like to believe at least some of them, if spoken to rationally, could if nothing else calm down. There's no one thing that should or can be done either. The media sucks. Politics is in poor health. Many seem indifferent to republicanism (as in 'republics;' nothing to do with GOP). People need to have respect for each other and indeed, it's a two way street. But ultimately, when one side isn't offering it, I think it's best to extend a hand in peace. If they don't take it, walk away secure in the knowledge that you tried your best. That's one way to go about it anyway. I don't know if it's the best, but it's better than some.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:01 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Violent clashes flared between Donald Trump supporters and their opponents in cities around the US.
Seems like pro-Trump protests and violence goes hand-in-hand. Rings an unfortunate bell from the 1930 Germany.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:03 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
Well many of them are just angry. I don't know what the best way to handle it is, but I'd like to believe at least some of them, if spoken to rationally, could if nothing else calm down. There's no one thing that should or can be done either. The media sucks. Politics is in poor health. Many seem indifferent to republicanism (as in 'republics;' nothing to do with GOP). People need to have respect for each other and indeed, it's a two way street. But ultimately, when one side isn't offering it, I think it's best to extend a hand in peace. If they don't take it, walk away secure in the knowledge that you tried your best. That's one way to go about it anyway. I don't know if it's the best, but it's better than some.
If rationally means saying what they want to hear, that's not going to happen. People disagree all the time but its how you handle the disagreement that matters.

When Obama was president, people who disagreed with him were met with attacks, name calling, racist, bigot, sexist, uncle Tom etc and the attacks are still going on. You can't talk to people like that. What do you think this accomplishes? The people went silent. Because people were silenced the left didn't see the Trump win coming? Trying to talk to a liberal who had no interest in hearing opposing views was useless so people spoke with their vote instead.

Did you ever get into an argument with your spouse where tempers are so high that no one is heard? Did your spouse ever yell, even go off the edge at you and you just tuned them out? Just like your spouse was tuned out and looked like an idiot how do you think liberals are being viewed? They are viewed as idiots and are being tuned out.

Last edited by petch751; 03-05-2017 at 05:15 PM..

Old 03-05-2017, 05:20 PM

41,976 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
A Los Angeles woman called for mass deaths to defeat Trump. "People have to die to make a change in this world," she says, meaning of course that white people must be murdered en masse for her own race to conquer California and take over America.
She said no such thing.

No wonder people are upset - so much hyperbole, exaggeration, obstructionism, and outright lying going on.

Quote:
We have a media that is agitating. I've listened to them and it's practically making a call to do this and leftist are answer their call. When people are calling for mass deaths to defeat Trump during the election you should have recognized there was a serious problem.
See above.

Quote:
I'm not sure what this has to do with what I said...
It has nothing to do with what you said. S/he's just being obtuse.

Quote:
Who's calling for genocide? I'm technically a 'leftist' and I support no genocide.
Same here - and I doubt anyone could rightly call me a leftist even though I'm socially quite liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Haven't seen an msm article about the violence yet
What would you consider the Toronto Sun and KOMO-TV?

Quote:
When Obama was president, people who disagreed with him opted to go silent
You mean like this?

Pastor Terry Jones Burns Obama, Clinton Effigies In Response To Gay Rights Support | The Huffington Post

Obama Effigy with the Words 'Pray 4 Assassin' Spotted in Alabama

https://ioncoalition.files.wordpress...eciqaaatj_.jpg

Was it racism? Our top 10 head-scratchers of 2012 | Chicago Muckrakers

Old 03-05-2017, 05:21 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,125,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Seems like pro-Trump protests and violence goes hand-in-hand. Rings an unfortunate bell from the 1930 Germany.
Seems like pro-Trump support and LEFT WING violence goes hand-in-hand. Rings an unfortunate bell from the 1930 Germany.

There, fixed it for you.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:25 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,228,383 times
Quote:
If rationally means saying what they want to hear, that's not going to happen. People disagree all the time but its how you handle the disagreement that matters.

When Obama was president, people who disagreed with him were met with attacks, name calling, racist, bigot, sexist, uncle Tom etc and the attacks are still going on. You can't talk to people like that. What do you think this accomplishes? The people went silent. Because people were silenced the left didn't see the Trump win coming? Trying to talk to a liberal who had no interest in hearing opposing views was useless so people spoke with their vote instead.

Did you ever get into an argument with your spouse where tempers are so high that no one is heard? Did your spouse ever yell, even go off the edge at you and you just tuned them out? Just like your spouse was tuned out and looked like an idiot how do you think liberals are being viewed? They are viewed as idiots and are being tuned out.
Yeah, but it's not all liberals and not only liberals. This is also important. The trouble with reasonable people is that they have their political conversation over a few drinks with co-workers/friends and family, or in the backyard or wherever. They aren't taking to the streets.

I don't like seeing liberals all being called violent because of the people flipping cars. In the same way, I don't like seeing all Donald Trump supporters called racist. I despise Donald Trump and some of his voters as well, but many, realistically most, did not vote for him with ill intentions or malice.

And it's worth noting, many liberals were harassed for liking Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders or even just not like Donald Trump.

Civility is at a low point it seems. I'd like to see that change across the board. And yes, this means the liberals flipping cars need to calm down.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:28 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,125,530 times
How is Madonna still freely walking the streets, after inciting others to "Blow up the White house"? Madonna should have been imprisoned for DOMESTIC TERRORISM.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:30 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Delusional is all I can say about that post.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:31 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
How is Madonna still freely walking the streets, after inciting others to "Blow up the White house"? Madonna should have been imprisoned for DOMESTIC TERRORISM.

agreed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies