Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 02:32 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,215,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Identity politics are bad, mkay.
Identity politics, isn't the same as identity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Why can't people find identity in themselves, their interests/hobbies, and their own values system?
Why then do countries even exist? And why would I possibly want to share a country with you? Or you with me?

There are almost 200 countries in the world today. Is that the right number?

If we aren't the same people, why are we even a country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Im starting to wonder what is America anymore myself.
It is a corporation. It exists because there is a lot of money to be made. And the people are so dependent, they would starve without it.

I see no other reason for its continued existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 04:43 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,654,050 times
Our identity was flushed down the crapper. We are now a satellite state of the Kremlim.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:03 AM

27,196 posts, read 13,489,086 times
America still has a string identity, however globalisation has led to a weakening of local identity the world over, and if anything US culture is the most dominant culture in the world.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:03 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,373,552 times
If America has lost or is losing its identity, it started long before Trump became president. It started when we had a president that apologized for everything America ever did. It started when we had a president that scolded Americans for not being Muslim sympathizers, and it started when we had a president that ignored the law and let illegal immigrants run amok in this country.

We became a country where America was not first. We became the nanny of the world with a president that gave away the farm with our taxpayers footing the bill for every person that stepped across our borders.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:05 AM

8,387 posts, read 4,374,196 times
I have a feeling that some people have never been out of the county they live in, much less the state.

I have been around the world 3 times and in over 60 countrys including a 3 month stint in the Saudi Arabian desert and the jungles of Viet Nam. Coming back to the United States is one of the best feelings in the world.

It is hard to imagine just how much you take for granted in the USA until you spend just one day in a third world county.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:06 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,478,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And yet he still won. What does that say about Hillary?
She should`ve had Comey, Putin and Assange in her corner. Enjoy yourself while you can. The over/under betting line on Trump`s presidency is 2 years.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:10 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,933,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And yet he still won. What does that say about Hillary?
Trump and Clinton were essentially tied, with about 25% of the voting age public each. Neither of then got any sort of mandate. What the election said to me was that half the American voting public were either too distracted or too dumb to participate. A testament to apathy - one of the one of the greatest weaknesses of a democratic system. A perfect opportunity for a populist/nationalist/autocrat to gain power.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:12 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,478,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
If America has lost or is losing its identity, it started long before Trump became president. It started when we had a president that apologized for everything America ever did. It started when we had a president that scolded Americans for not being Muslim sympathizers, and it started when we had a president that ignored the law and let illegal immigrants run amok in this country.

The identity of America changed when we became the nanny of the world with a president that gave away the farm and our taxpayers had to support every person that stepped across our borders.
He apologized for our participation in WW1 and WW2? Let`s see it. We shouldn`t apologize for Vietnam, Iraq, Chile, Guatemala, Iran, etc.? Why not? What a horrible thing to see when a secret Muslim behaves like a Christian, a real one, not a gun toting racist gay hating fake Christian.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:20 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Where is the darn apple pie and baseball??? You are so wrong- no mention of sports!!
Except for mountains and hunting-- In my big cities of Miami and Orlando- I have done and am doing all that- plus MORE!!!
Saturday- Orlando-- grands at the pig races aha!! https://www.pigonthepond.org/
One thing about city folks- they make enough money to get out of town they go do all of that--- but we have very RICH lives with multicultural and languages friends and neighbors... experienced the knowledge, arts, and tasted the foods of the world. Our boys and gals go to war just like country folks- SO stop idolizing yourselves !

Old 03-06-2017, 05:25 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,502,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
You sound like one bad ass mfger! Wanna hang out some time and shoot guns at random crap in the yard then shotgunn a couple beer? I got a 50cc dirt bike we can crash over and over it won't die!
I've got a KX250 Banshee bored out to 440 a stock blaster a polaris trail blazer (bought that new for one of my exs to ride with me since operating a clutch seemed impossible) but no property to ride on... Had 1500 developed acres a chainsaw backhoe and small dozer in NY made my own trails through the woods

Im always down for a good time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies