Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 06:03 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,907,598 times

Advertisements

White supremacists feel emboldened by their Glorious Leader. Hate crimes are up nationwide and hate-speech is now acceptable. And it's going to get worse as the WH recognizes them as their most dedicated voting block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 06:09 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The dictionary definition of "dominate" is not sports rhetoric, but that it simply means greater in significance than, or is larger in number than the rest.
You and I both know that the colloquial usage of the word "dominate", does not imply a mere majority.

No one would say that Hillary Clinton dominated Donald Trump in the popular vote in the last election. Or that Gore dominated Bush in 2000 in the popular vote, or that Bush dominated Gore in 2000 in the electoral college.

We both know that the proper usage of the word dominate, in this context, is only applicable when there is a very significant difference.

And we both know that if someone hears the phrase, "European DNA dominates Latin-America", they don't assume you meant 51%.

It reminds me of that Jon Stewart video where he complains about how the media uses words like "Decimate" and "Eviscerate" and "Destroy" in their headlines.

WATCH: Jon Stewart Eviscerates Gimmicky Headlines that Say Stewart 'Eviscerates' Things | Alternet

Old 03-12-2017, 06:16 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
You and I both know that the colloquial usage of the word "dominate", does not imply a mere majority.
This is just semantics and nitpicking. Point being, Latin Americans are of predominantly European heritage. DNA studies representative of all hispanics in America are likely to show similar results even though farm workers from rural Guatemala may not. And there is very little evidence to suggest that hispanics in general overestimate the European heritage, judging by what people identify as, on the contrary, DNA studies show some underestimation by hispanics of the European roots.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:32 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
This is just semantics and nitpicking. Point being, Latin Americans are of predominantly European heritage.
I agree that it is semantics, but I think your usage of the word "dominate" is very misleading.

If on Drudge Report, the headline said, "Latin-America dominated by European DNA". It wouldn't have the same effect as saying, "Latin-American DNA is mostly European".

You pretend like both are the same, but they're not.

But regardless, I doubt the average Hispanic in America is more than 60% European. The question still is, does being 60% European qualify you as being white?

If someone was 40% black, and 60% European, no one would consider them European.

So at what percentage of non-white DNA does someone start being white, or stop being white?

Old 03-12-2017, 06:44 AM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,822 times
Default Been that way...

Hispanics have been the largest majority among minorities in the US for awhile - at least a decade if not longer. It hasn't impacted race relations for the better or worse that I can see. Hispanics now work in the low-paying service jobs that use to be held by Blacks. More African-Americans work in higher level better paying jobs than ever before. Even though there are still plenty of Blacks in low paying jobs too. These are generalizations - doesn't apply to every single member of either group.

Minus the negative social pathologies of African-Americans resulting from our country past traumatic treatment of Afrian-Americans, they're (we're ) very similar to Hispanics culturally,: family & extended family is central, children are always highly visible in the community, having children is crucially important, grandma and/or mother are held in highest honor (matriarchy), Heavy home-cooked foods are the mainstay of our diets, big women aren't automatically looked down upon nor do they consider themselves unattractive or undesirable to their men, staying close to family (not moving across country or to some state/city where you have no family) even if a college grad is strongly encouraged. The elderly family members are revered and respected when they speak. Men and boys tend to have a lot of machismo. A person's career position or social class is not a primary factor in how they're treated or valued. Both groups do tend to value their lightskin physical characteristics over the dark skin counterparts.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:51 AM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,822 times
Default Illegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Instead of focusing on sending black people back to Africa, white people now focus on building a wall to keep other white people (aka Hispanics) out.
Only the Hispanics who entered the country ILLEGALLY. This is not the same as nationalists Whites yelling to African-Americans "go back to Africa". Our ancestors did not enter the country illegally - they were illegally brought here. Apples and oranges.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:26 AM

62,974 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico210 View Post
Hispanics aren't white, and most don't want to be. We are proud of our indigenous and African roots.

You don't know your own ethnic group's racial makeup? Most Mexicans are of mixed race. They are usually a mix of "white" Spanish and Ameridian some are of white, black and Ameridian mixture. They are called Mestizos and Mulatto's respectively. That holds true of most Cuban-Hispanics also. Many are mostly white from their Spanish ancestors like the elite in Mexico for example. Hispanic is a culture and just means your ancestors were from Spain and Spanish is your native language.

I never understood this pride in one's ancestry anyway. I'm white from German roots but I'm not German culturally and I am simply an American. I don't take some special pride in being white either. It is just who I am racially. It's nothing special.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:35 AM

3,854 posts, read 2,229,309 times
The "hispanic" group is a political fabrication.

The irony in "hispanics" becoming the largest minority is that historically in the United States, they were not considered to be minorities at all.

Just two generations ago, most people of spanish-speaking origin were considered to be plainly white. They became "the largest minority group" artificially through statistical manipulation.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Instead of focusing on sending black people back to Africa, white people now focus on building a wall to keep other white people (aka Hispanics) out.

Not exactly. Most Mexicans are Mestizos a mix of white and Ameridian. Most white Americans aren't Hispanic. Hispanic is a culture not a race. The wall is to keep out illegal aliens not just plain ole Hispanics and it isn't just white Americans that want to keep out foreign invaders. Try again.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
No, you obviously didnt read the link. DNA studies show Latin Americans have majority European roots.

Kind of obvious isn't it since most Latin Americans speak Spanish. Where do they think their native tongue of Spanish comes from if not from Spain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies