Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2017, 02:42 PM

18,046 posts, read 27,497,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
No more middle ground. We are living in the same country but in separate worlds. Maybe the time is right to split the country in half and see where it goes and which side is the most successful. Of course a passport is needed to go from one side to the other. People on the wrong side will be given a grace period to sell their homes and get their affairs in order. This needs to happen or we will continue to be a country without a purpose or identity.
We can build a wall...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 03:08 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,833,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet101 View Post
if the republicans go nuclear, it'll end up quite the disaster. One of the checks and balances will be gone. It's shame really. What happen to the politicians that worked together?
I think you need to take a look at the constitution when you get a chance.

I don't remember you saying the same thing in 2013 when it was the democrats doing it.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:10 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,990,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Another person that doesn't even know what Biden stated, go see post #181.
Post #181 has no information. It is actually post #170, or thereabouts, that has the biden quote.
Yes, I certainly DO know what biden said. IMO, it is applicable.
OK, you don't think so. sorry, I do not agree. some here agree with me, some agree with you.
That is quite normal.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:17 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,990,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Clay Banger View Post
The Joe Biden Rule (D) was used to keep the seat open until the next president was elected.

The Barack Obama Rule (D) was used to filibuster Gorsuch.

The Harry Reid Rule (D) was used to fill the seat via the nuclear option.

Thanks Harry, Barry, and Joe for establishing the precedent! Gorsuch will be a great jurist!
Nicely stated. thank you.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:23 PM

57,378 posts, read 26,285,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Post #181 has no information. It is actually post #170, or thereabouts, that has the biden quote.
Yes, I certainly DO know what biden said. IMO, it is applicable.
OK, you don't think so. sorry, I do not agree. some here agree with me, some agree with you.
That is quite normal.
I think you need to read it again, he made this statement in June of an election year. They are just looking for remote excuses, they don't need one, both parties were going to take the actions this week regardless. Regardless this just divides both parties even more and that will extend well beyond this supreme court nomination.

Quote:
"Should a justice resign this summer and the president move to name a successor, actions that will occur just days before the Democratic Presidential Convention and weeks before the Republican Convention meets, a process that is already in doubt in the minds of many will become distrusted by all. Senate consideration of a nominee under these circumstances is not fair to the president, to the nominee, or to the Senate itself.
"Mr. President, where the nation should be treated to a consideration of constitutional philosophy, all it will get in such circumstances is a partisan bickering and political posturing from both parties and from both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue. As a result, it is my view that if a Supreme Court Justice resigns tomorrow, or within the next several weeks, or resigns at the end of the summer, President Bush should consider following the practice of a majority of his predecessors and not — and not — name a nominee until after the November election is completed."

Old 04-06-2017, 03:29 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,127,661 times
And the enemies of our nation look on with eyes waiting for the right time to strike watching with drooling teeth as the Congress dithers away fiddling while Rome burns.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:32 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,736,261 times
Looking forward to seeing how this plays out:

"How will Senate Democrats respond to this historic power grab? If Democrats follow the Republican response in 2013, it will freeze the Senate for thousands of hours, preventing Republicans from advancing their agenda.

In November 2013, Senate Democrats invoked the nuclear option to lower the confirmation threshold for lower court and executive branch nominees. In response, over the next 13 months, Republicans forced Democrats to file cloture on 154 nominees, and they forced 131 cloture votes."

The Underrated Reason Republicans Will Regret The Nuclear Option | The Huffington Post

Democrats can drag GOP nominees for years. And as we know, the tables always turn and the GOP will not be able to stop Democratic nominees either. It all works out eventually.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:37 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,506,290 times
Changes only happen when SCOTUS members leave. And every one changes the court. I know you know this.

At least if we're going to have political rancor, at least one side (the majority) can win, and we can move on, and not have filibuster induced gridlock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Pandora's box is now open. Now we can expect changes to the court on each admin change.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:44 PM

24,532 posts, read 17,277,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Regardless this just divides both parties even more and that will extend well beyond this supreme court nomination.

That is so true. The parties are further divided over this vote. Gorsuch is a very well qualified man for the job and even after the grilling he took from the Senate panel that didn't find anything wrong with him they still couldn't support him for the simple fact that Trump nominated him.

It is all so petty. I think it will be rather telling come the 2018 elections when many of these bozos are up for reelection. We will see then if The People are sick of these petty partisan politics.

Congress is heading to you one of their extended recess's shortly and maybe they could do us a favor and not return.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:49 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
That is so true. The parties are further divided over this vote. Gorsuch is a very well qualified man for the job and even after the grilling he took from the Senate panel that didn't find anything wrong with him they still couldn't support him for the simple fact that Trump nominated him.
That isn't all there was to it. This has been beat to death though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies