Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 11:50 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Praise the Lord! Justice Gorsuch! And though I do not wish her ill, I suspect Justice Ginsberg will soon have to be replaced.

Ted Cruz anyone?

What is important is that Hillary did not/does not get to make the choices.
Ginsberg was supposed to move to New Zealand after Trump won. Isn't she done packing yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 11:59 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
I am glad the Republicans will no longer be able to hide behind lies. It is now being proved the Republicans are liars and thieves.
They stole a seat and hoped to get away scott free. Now when we are in power we will treat you guys the same way.

LETS not PRETEND the dems anyway cheated. McConnell blocked over 100 judges not allowing any hearing and stole a SCOTUS seat.
You guys know damn well Mitch is stacking the courts with Republican judges and denied Obama his right to appoint almost any of the judges he had a full right too.
Mitch swore that even if Hillary won he would 100% refuse to have ANY hearings for any SCOTUS seat no matter how many.

THUS you guys are complete liars. at every level

GOP blocked about 100 nominated judges! NOT just garland, but shocking number. Garland was part of a much large pattern of abuse.

Next time you GOP folk lie to yourselves, don't forget you are LYING. The GOP blocked judge after judge after judge for years. the SCOTUS theft is just the tip of the iceberg.

And of course

GOP for the first time in history CLOSED DOWN THE GOV. to try to destroy Obama

GOP filibustered everything and anything to reduce confirmations like never before.
GOP filibustered the smallest and most meaningless things just to impede and damage the Dems.
^^ This, my friends, is the death rattle of the Democratic party as we currently know it. ^^

Mahalo!

Old 04-07-2017, 12:29 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
YUGE win for Trump!

Seats new member of Supreme Court in first 100 days!

Old 04-07-2017, 12:31 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,100,100 times
This is fantastic news.

Liberals also seem to forget about Supreme Court justices during the election. Trump made it an issue and yet they were surprised he won

Old 04-07-2017, 12:39 PM
exm

3,722 posts, read 1,781,830 times
Liberals complaining about GOP obstruction. Remember it all started with a very fine judge called Bork. Now who started what?

Old 04-07-2017, 12:41 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Indeed. Gorsuch was confirmed with the very rules that Democrats had previously used or argued for.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:36 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I am not anti-government but when they work together we get screwed also. See The Patriot Act. The stupid wars. Their attempts to squash free speech that was overturned by Citizen United. etc.
When who works together? If you're speaking about the 2 main parties, they very often succeed in dividing the American people very nearly evenly in two, the better to conquer. (I.e., We get screwed)

Fr'instance, the Citizen United ruling:

Citizens United Decision: Republicans Like It, Liberals Don't

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ls-dont/33935/

Bloomberg Poll: Americans Want Supreme Court to Turn Off Political Spending Spigot

Americans are divided on the justices' decisions on gay marriage, health care, and abortion. But not on campaign finance.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...pending-spigot

OF THE 1%, BY THE 1%, FOR THE 1%

Americans have been watching protests against oppressive regimes that concentrate massive wealth in the hands of an elite few. Yet in our own democracy, 1 percent of the people take nearly a quarter of the nation’s income—an inequality even the wealthy will come to regret.

Quote:
...During the savings-and-loan scandal of the 1980s—a scandal whose dimensions, by today’s standards, seem almost quaint—the banker Charles Keating was asked by a congressional committee whether the $1.5 million he had spread among a few key elected officials could actually buy influence. “I certainly hope so,” he replied.

The Supreme Court, in its recent Citizens United case, has enshrined the right of corporations to buy government, by removing limitations on campaign spending. The personal and the political are today in perfect alignment.

Virtually all U.S. senators, and most of the representatives in the House, are members of the top 1 percent when they arrive, are kept in office by money from the top 1 percent, and know that if they serve the top 1 percent well they will be rewarded by the top 1 percent when they leave office. By and large, the key executive-branch policymakers on trade and economic policy also come from the top 1 percent. When pharmaceutical companies receive a trillion-dollar gift—through legislation prohibiting the government, the largest buyer of drugs, from bargaining over price—it should not come as cause for wonder. It should not make jaws drop that a tax bill cannot emerge from Congress unless big tax cuts are put in place for the wealthy. Given the power of the top 1 percent, this is the way you would expect the system to work. ...
Of the 1%, by the 1%, for the 1% | Vanity Fair

Re: 'government is the problem - vote for me!' folks:

When the ideologues who claim government doesn't work get elected as government representatives & then seek to prove it. Self-defeating &/or self-fulfilling prophesy. By the way, 'Cui bono?'

Lastly, Mr. Gorsuch on dark money:
Quote:
Democrats questioning Supreme Court nominee Neil M. Gorsuch took aim at the millions of dollars from unidentified donors that have gone to a political organization advocating for his confirmation.

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) sparred with Gorsuch extensively on the issue, ultimately calling on him to publicly urge the donors to the group to reveal themselves.

Gorsuch demurred.

Whitehouse also asked Gorsuch to opine on why the donors are so invested in seeing him on the court.

“You’d have to ask them,” Gorsuch said.

Whitehouse shot back: “I can’t because I don’t know who they are. It is just a front group.”

The exchange seemed to annoy the otherwise unflappable nominee. ...
'Nobody speaks for me,' Gorsuch says of 'dark money' group - LA Times

Old 04-07-2017, 08:38 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
Oh go cry a river. This is the number one reason lots of us voted for Trump. Our country cannot take any more liberal judges. They are ruining the country . There is reason Republicans control everything. Most of the country is sick of giving our country values away. Hopefully Trump can one more in before he is out.
Can't rep enough. Nailed it. The democrat elite message of " we're better than you" has grown too old and the regular American is voting with the GOP these days, not crazy elites.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:42 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
When who works together? If you're speaking about the 2 main parties, they very often succeed in dividing the American people very nearly evenly in two, the better to conquer. (I.e., We get screwed)

Fr'instance, the Citizen United ruling:

Citizens United Decision: Republicans Like It, Liberals Don't
Not true. Or at best a real generalization that means nothing.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:43 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Liberals complaining about GOP obstruction. Remember it all started with a very fine judge called Bork. Now who started what?
Great point. Bork was the start of democrat chaos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies