Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2017, 05:57 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Almost all hospitals receive federal funds and are required to have some free care for cancer and reduced cost services available. These services are targeted for those who have no health insurance, have cancer, and aren't eligible for medicaid or medicare. Check with the financial services dept at the hospital...and ask to apply for free care.

Stop listening to liberal b.s.
Hospitals are only required by law to stabilize a patient. They are NOT required to treat cancer patients if they don't have insurance. Many hospitals would laugh at you if you asked for "free care".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 06:07 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The ACA provided INSURANCE not healthcare.

It was insurance that the poor couldn't pay the premiums on much less the deductibles.
Exactly.

Let's not forget though, ACA is also a law, that comes with a mandated clause.

Do people still think this is about people's health?

Old 05-07-2017, 06:09 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I have insurance.
And that means that no progress ever is okay with you?

Look, I get it. You have the luxury of being a stubborn absolutist because you will be fine either way. Tens of millions of your fellow citizens do not have that luxury. They can't wait forever for the perfect bill to pass.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:15 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
And that means that no progress ever is okay with you?
I have no idea what you are talking about and I have a feeling that you have no idea what my position is.

Quote:
Look, I get it. You have the luxury of being a stubborn absolutist because you will be fine either way. Tens of millions of your fellow citizens do not have that luxury. They can't wait forever for the perfect bill to pass.
You might want to get a persons position before leaping.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:02 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about and I have a feeling that you have no idea what my position is.

You might want to get a persons position before leaping.
So where am I off base? Because everything you've posted would seem to indicate that you're an all-or-nothing absolutist and you'd rather watch poor people die than settle for a series of improvements along the way.

Someone who's doing fine can afford to take such a position. I'm in the same boat. I have steady employment and decent health insurance. However, I realize that millions do not have that luxury. Millions cannot afford to shoulder the costs while we wait for a perfect solution that may never come. Millions will get sick and die if we value rigid ideological purity over actually getting something done to move the needle in the right direction.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:10 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
So where am I off base? Because everything you've posted would seem to indicate that you're an all-or-nothing absolutist and you'd rather watch poor people die than settle for a series of improvements along the way.
We can't really discuss something that hasn't happened.

Quote:
Someone who's doing fine can afford to take such a position. I'm in the same boat. I have steady employment and decent health insurance. However, I realize that millions do not have that luxury. Millions cannot afford to shoulder the costs while we wait for a perfect solution that may never come. Millions will get sick and die if we value rigid ideological purity over actually getting something done to move the needle in the right direction.
I don't see anyone wanting to move it in the right direction. If you (or others) want to condemn me for not supporting some imaginary position, have at it.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:47 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Almost all hospitals receive federal funds and are required to have some free care for cancer and reduced cost services available. These services are targeted for those who have no health insurance, have cancer, and aren't eligible for medicaid or medicare. Check with the financial services dept at the hospital...and ask to apply for free care.

Stop listening to liberal b.s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Hospitals are only required by law to stabilize a patient. They are NOT required to treat cancer patients if they don't have insurance. Many hospitals would laugh at you if you asked for "free care".
You're right ...

The billing department will set a patient up on a payment plan. If the person can not make their payments, it will show on their credit status and they may be refused services from doctor's offices and hospitals until their payment status is within good standing. (It took me 10 Years to pay off mine)

If a person lives in a larger city, there may be hospitals and clinics that receive federal funds, available to them. Cities like Houston, have a couple. However, federal funding for hospitals, does no equate to free medical, but reduced costs. I was being seen by a doctor that the clinic was run by volunteer doctors and staff members and each 'standard' visit cost me $25.00. I needed an additional test and was sent to another facility to have it done, the cost was $100.00, for a procedure that would run normal $1,000.00 any where else. Payment up front mind you.

All of this talk about Healthcare and the ACA law and insurance brought back a memory, a vague one, from about 40 years ago. There was an article in a magazine I had picked up in a waiting room and read a story about a family that had been burden by medical expense that they lost everything they owned. They moved from their home into someone's basement two room apt. I don't remember how the story ended, just remember feeling their pain.

Back in the 1930's before FDR and the adoption of the farm bill, social security and unemployment benefits we were the only Industrialized nation that did not provided relief to its citizens. They say, no one died of starvation.

The U.S. was/is different from other countries and we were never suppose to be the same as them. Yet, here we are ... If the government can not make things better, then they need to stop and we need a refund, so we can pay the rising costs, as it should be. Just because they say, we can (own a home) doesn't mean we should (go out and try to buy one on credit that we can not afford).

Old 05-08-2017, 06:29 AM

882 posts, read 689,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
You're right ...

The billing department will set a patient up on a payment plan. If the person can not make their payments, it will show on their credit status and they may be refused services from doctor's offices and hospitals until their payment status is within good standing. (It took me 10 Years to pay off mine)

If a person lives in a larger city, there may be hospitals and clinics that receive federal funds, available to them. Cities like Houston, have a couple. However, federal funding for hospitals, does no equate to free medical, but reduced costs. I was being seen by a doctor that the clinic was run by volunteer doctors and staff members and each 'standard' visit cost me $25.00. I needed an additional test and was sent to another facility to have it done, the cost was $100.00, for a procedure that would run normal $1,000.00 any where else. Payment up front mind you.

All of this talk about Healthcare and the ACA law and insurance brought back a memory, a vague one, from about 40 years ago. There was an article in a magazine I had picked up in a waiting room and read a story about a family that had been burden by medical expense that they lost everything they owned. They moved from their home into someone's basement two room apt. I don't remember how the story ended, just remember feeling their pain.

Back in the 1930's before FDR and the adoption of the farm bill, social security and unemployment benefits we were the only Industrialized nation that did not provided relief to its citizens. They say, no one died of starvation.

The U.S. was/is different from other countries and we were never suppose to be the same as them. Yet, here we are ... If the government can not make things better, then they need to stop and we need a refund, so we can pay the rising costs, as it should be. Just because they say, we can (own a home) doesn't mean we should (go out and try to buy one on credit that we can not afford).
With that said, what are your thoughts on the people that had similar hardships to deal with because Obamacare forced them to pay anywhere from 44% to 289% more for their healthcare by insisting on "essential benefits" and eliminating their plans. How about the 10% that weren't covered by the government or their employers having their premiums double since 2013? The knife cuts both way. And single payer would cost millions of people substantially more, so that's no solution either.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:34 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Great! I got care when I was wheeled into the ER with a chronic condition. If I had been able to walk into a doctor's office a week earlier, I wouldn't have a pre-existing condition today.
Then why didn't you? Why did you wait until it was an emergency?

Old 05-08-2017, 06:41 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,973 times
If somone supposedly dies because they "cannot get access to health insurance" then they didn't look hard enough.

I thought medicaid was supposed to cover people on hard times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post
The representative (and I use that term loosely) made this declaration at a town hall. This is how out of touch, willfully ignorant, callous and detached from their constituents the GOP has become.

GOP rep: "Nobody dies because they don't have access to healthcare"

GOP promised to cover preexisting conditions and promptly removed the broken promise from their website. Trumpcare is such a dumpster fire for the vast majority of the population that the senate refuses to use it as a baseline.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies