Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 05:58 PM

882 posts, read 689,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well, when the alternate viewpoint is one of 'everyone for themselves alone' what the heck other conclusion CAN you draw?
Sounds like the same viewpoint from the Obamacare-loving people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 08:13 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Again, see some of the prior comments.

My own mother died from this sort of stuff. As have others as has been pointed out over and over throughout this thread. Maybe you should read the thread?
I had a co-worker die of cancer last year despite having health insurance. Let's face it, most people, with insurance or not do not regularly screen for cancer. Simple blood tests are not that expensive.

I do want to get into the situation with your mother again other than to offer my condolences and to say I myself pretty much neglected my health despite having insurance until symptoms developed , e.g blood vessel tore in my right eye, that i could not ignore. This is not uncommon.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:18 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I had a co-worker die of cancer last year despite having health insurance. Let's face it, most people, with insurance or not do not regularly screen for cancer. Simple blood tests are not that expensive.
But it is a important part of having healthcare covered. People with little money absolutely wont pay the $30 for a test. They will soldier on til its a bigger problem. Because 9 times out of 10-its nothing. It goes away.

Quote:
I do want to get into the situation with your mother again other than to offer my condolences and to say I myself pretty much neglected my health despite having insurance until symptoms developed , e.g blood vessel tore in my right eye, that i could not ignore. This is not uncommon.
You condolences? Given what you said in the past....

Bless your heart. You can take that any way you want.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:42 PM

8,244 posts, read 3,497,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Do you have health insurance? If so why? Get rid of it and Just use the ERs- put your money where your piehole is. Show us all how easy it is.
Even if you go to the ER, if you don't have the money for the prescriptions you are given then it's a moot point. My regular medications cost about $2k/month. And when I get an infection the antibiotics can cost up to $100 or more just for the one prescription.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:10 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:

What does 'regularly screen for cancer' mean to you? Most doctors refer for routine colonoscopy, they usually do a PSA test for men and refer women for a mammogram, beyond that what do you think should be done, annual full body X-rays or CT scans? Of course people die of cancer every day even though they have health insurance because we can't successfully treat all cancers. But the point you are missing is that people without health insurance die of cancers that could have been treated

Old 05-08-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What does 'regularly screen for cancer' mean to you? Most doctors refer for routine colonoscopy, they usually do a PSA test for men and refer women for a mammogram, beyond that what do you think should be done, annual full body X-rays or CT scans? Of course people die of cancer every day even though they have health insurance because we can't successfully treat all cancers. But the point you are missing is that people without health insurance die of cancers that could have been treated
My co-worker. who never smoked in his life, had his lung cancer diagnosed at stage 4. He died. He had insurance.

In 2015, the first year after Obamacare was fully implemented, life expectancy dropped for the first time in 28 years.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
But it is a important part of having healthcare covered. People with little money absolutely wont pay the $30 for a test. They will soldier on til its a bigger problem. Because 9 times out of 10-its nothing. It goes away.

You condolences? Given what you said in the past....

Bless your heart. You can take that any way you want.
You have a lot in common with Trump..you can dish it out but...

Old 05-08-2017, 09:42 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,337 times
Quote:
My co-worker. who never smoked in his life, had his lung cancer diagnosed at stage 4. He died. He had insurance.

In 2015, the first year after Obamacare was fully implemented, life expectancy dropped for the first time in 28 years.
Correlation does not equal causation Fact Check: Did Obamacare cause life expectancy to decrease? | Jacksonville News, Sports and Entertainment | jacksonville.com

Old 05-08-2017, 09:46 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:

You are right, in 2015 life expectancy fell by one-tenth of a year, from 78.9 in 2014 to 78.8. And I am not sure why the ACA has any more to do with that than higher than usual rainfall or a solar eclipse

"Rising fatalities from heart disease and stroke, diabetes, drug overdoses, accidents and other conditions caused the lower life expectancy revealed in a report released Thursday by the National Center for Health Statistics. In all, death rates rose for eight of the top 10 leading causes of death. The largest rate jump for any cause of death was for Alzheimer’s disease, which went from 25.4 to 29.4 deaths per 100,000 people"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.27868b2d7ae6

From this and some of the other posts you have made it seems as though you are suggesting that having health insurance will make you sick or kill you and I can't quite figure out the thought process that went into your reaching that conclusion.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You are right, in 2015 life expectancy fell by one-tenth of a year, from 78.9 in 2014 to 78.8. And I am not sure why the ACA has any more to do with that than higher than usual rainfall or a solar eclipse

"Rising fatalities from heart disease and stroke, diabetes, drug overdoses, accidents and other conditions caused the lower life expectancy revealed in a report released Thursday by the National Center for Health Statistics. In all, death rates rose for eight of the top 10 leading causes of death. The largest rate jump for any cause of death was for Alzheimer’s disease, which went from 25.4 to 29.4 deaths per 100,000 people" https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.27868b2d7ae6

From this and some of the other posts you have made it seems as though you are suggesting that having health insurance will make you sick or kill you and I can't quite figure out the thought process that went into your reaching that conclusion.
I have seen one article that blamed the drop primarily on drug overdoses. Many opoid addicts got originally addicted when they were prescribed painkillers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies