Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2017, 08:03 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
For our discussion, had we been in a court of law, this statement would damn you. No further discussion on this one is warranted because you made my point for me and have testified in my behalf.

Free... to me. I think that should be the name for the current generations in the US: The Free-To-Me Generation

(and to hell with those who pay for me)
And for the thousands and thousands and thousands of English citizens who get the same treatment its not free to them. Rather its taken out of their paychecks and most are very happy about that because it means they don't have to worry about financials when they are in the middle of a medical emergency.

Stop trying to play Perry Mason, friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 08:05 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Yes, you do. But according to some folks on this thread, you should not be expected to pay. The migrant workers picking your food, toiling in the hot sun, and sweating their lives away should do that for free so that you could eat for free--free of charge and free of labor.
No one said that.

The only one saying that is you. You are either unwilling or unable to provide an intellectually honest counterpoint to the idea of access to healthcare for all. That says a lot.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:08 PM

25,775 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Unless of course the people themselves vote it in without "getting wood" OR being coerced.
Yet, this is a republic. A republic protects the populace from the government, or at least that is the idea. It protects the minority from the majority mob rule. For a nation such as ours, which professes to care so much for minorities, we certainly do not show it very well when it comes to voting ourselves nirvana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Think of a 350 million co-op and the bargaining power that would have regarding the containment of illogical and outrageously escalating costs.....oh wait....that's called universal/single payer healthcare delivery.
Nope, sorry.

Health care co-op = voluntary enrollment.

Single Payer = coercive enrollment.

Take the coercion out and I'll be right on board with you in supporting it. But until then I will maintain that it is unconstitutional.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:10 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,227,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I suggest you read Madison's Federalist Paper #41 to put a lie to that statement.

Federalist Paper #41:

PUBLIUS
I would suggest more appropriately to understand what were The Federalist Papers. They were Essay's. to promote the people to think hard and deep in aim to get support for the Ratification of the Constitution.

The Constitution is what it is, and say's what it says. One can write many "Essay's" from as many angles as they choose, but the language of the Constitution is the Language that Established this Nations Under the Constitution.

What one can't say, is that the point I addressed is false. Yes, they were of much concern about the Military, but there is no Military without "PEOPLE" and for those people to be capable, able and ready to support and live within these United States, it is necessary for The Constitution to Protect its most valuable asset, which is its People. EVERYTHING goes to the care and consideration of the people, because the people are what makes up the United States along with the Land Mass they Occupy.

In as much as the Military, establishes itself to provide equally for "all that concerns the people whom are active solders", so does that same United States Government, have the same responsibility to care for its people. Without them, there is no staffing a Military, and with an unhealthy society, one can't expect to extract a healthy military force.

A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Matthew 7:18

If one understands that, then they understand the need for a healthy society.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 05-07-2017 at 08:56 PM..

Old 05-07-2017, 08:12 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
Yes, you can't just ignore the sick. Give us benefits then take them away?

Old 05-07-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
And you believe the free market will magically find a way for all Americans to get health insurance?
By definition, "insurance" is a contrived legalized gambling scheme dreampt up by free market capitalists. Yet NOBODY wants to come up with a different way to handle it. Even those who are so against capitalism. Astonishing.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:14 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,257,106 times
No.

Everyone is afraid of pain and death, so there is infinite demand for healthcare. Some goods can saturate a market; not so for healthcare.

Calling health care a right is opening the door to draining the treasury, because it's a "right" that can never be satisfied.

Things like freedom of speech and conscience are negative rights that are far cheaper to enforce than positive rights like healthcare.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

I think ya'll need to stop hanging on the word free. We ALL KNOW that NOTHING is FREE. You know damned well what we are talking about so stop hanging on that word and get on with a productive conversation on the topic at hand.

JFC
Yes, I know what you are doing. You are attempting to force everyone to do things the way you want them done. You are trying to take away choices. And I am opposed to that. Attack me as you see fit, but I do not agree with coercion. Period.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:17 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,293,592 times
Liberal rights always requires government force on some people to do their will.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:17 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
Can we have a human right to free electricity too? I have seen some really nice Mercedes on the road lately, what about a human right to transportation....at least make the buses and rail workers work for free.. we deserve free protection as well. Can't we force police officers and firemen to work for free and punish them if the refuse... why are we paying for people in the military, they should be working for free... and then give me the money saved from not paying them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies