Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 11:17 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Clay Banger View Post
Cable news is traditionally not considered the mainstream media. Both ideologies are represented on cable news, no doubt. But the difference is that FOX has always has a rightward bent, whereas CNN has historically held itself out as a non-biased, objective news outlet. That is not true any longer....but they have made no attempt whatsoever to admit to that. CNN still lays claim to straight news - which is not even close to true and everyone knows it. MSNBC is simply the left version of FOX.

As far as mainstream media goes, I defy you to show how ABC, NBC, CBS, etc. are anything but leftist mouthpieces. They are the ones who should be held to account, but of course they are not because they feed liberal confirmation bias. Harvard found this bias to be true, but I have yet to hear any teeth gnashing and course correction demands from liberals:

https://shorensteincenter.org/news-c...0a9d-189799085
I think that the Leftists have now decided that anything that comes out of a Harvard University study is considered "alt-Right". They pretty much exposed NBC, ABC, CBS, MSNBC Washington Post, New York Times in their study of "bias".

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. Some would rather die of thirst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 11:30 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
News media ratings are increasing and climbing right now. Cable news, NY Times, WaPo--all up. There's no crash coming.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:03 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Here is a quiz to see if you can tell which is fake news. It has 6 questions

https://www.channelone.com/feature/q...ke-news-story/

I got 4 out of 6.

6 of 6 questions answered correctly

Those were all very obvious.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:21 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
6 of 6 questions answered correctly

Those were all very obvious.
That's what I thought.

However, I so wanted the Onion article about Sessions spitting in the FBI interviewers face.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
That's what I thought.

However, I so wanted the Onion article about Sessions spitting in the FBI interviewers face.

That was a good one. But if it only appeared in the Onion, that's a dead give-away that it's just humor.

Having said that, so much of the straight reports on tRump's never-ending self-inflicted foul-ups are very amusing in and of themselves.

He's a true entertainer.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:15 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Do you think there will be a tipping point in the Media and how they write articles and what they report on?
Where they will crash and wake up.

So. it can go back to good ole fashion real journalism.
No, it will never happen. The power to lie to the public is so valuable that the liars will always be able to outbid the truthtellers for ownership of the mass media.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:16 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
That was a good one. But if it only appeared in the Onion, that's a dead give-away that it's just humor.

Having said that, so much of the straight reports on tRump's never-ending self-inflicted foul-ups are very amusing in and of themselves.

He's a true entertainer.

Can you save it?
Twice you had to bring in a President and do a slam.
Self control?

Old 06-05-2017, 03:39 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Here is a quiz to see if you can tell which is fake news. It has 6 questions

https://www.channelone.com/feature/q...ke-news-story/

I got 4 out of 6.
"Fake News" is thrown around so much these days it's getting a bit ridiculous. The term "Fake News" was originally targeted at sites that in fact were making up the stories. For example The Onion, these sites would typically give you little hints and don;t try and hide the fact they are fakes or parodies.

Question 1. That is in fact a "Fake News" site. The .CO is dead giveaway. Briefly the letters following the last period is the TLD or (top level domaian), .org, .com .net etc. The letters before that are the domain, deceptivefakename.com and if there is yet another period it's a subdomain, paypal.deceptivefakename.com ... you need to be careful here though because this by itself is no indication of anything unless it's glaring like my example. youtu.be is in fact youtube. There comment about .com would leave the reader with the impression that only .com is legitimate and that is absolutely no indication of anything either.

Question 2: While Infowars is certainly not at the top of journalistic integrity the article they have used in this example is in fact true. She belongs to the PLO and was convicted in Israel for bombing. She spent ten years in prison there. She entered the US by lying on her application and is currently set to be deported sometime after August.

Question 3: I would suggest this is spin on what was said and all these news agencies do this. You can give me two set of facts and I can produce for you two stories that are going to leave you with two different impressions. Here is what was said for that headline, you be the judge:

Quote:
BAIER: Right, but there’s a report, June 2016, there’s a FISA request by the Obama administration Foreign Intelligence Surveillance court to monitor communications involving Donald Trump and several other campaign officials. They get turned down. And then in October they renew it and they do start a wiretap with some computer and Russian banks and it doesn’t show up anything, by reporting. Have you heard that?
RYAN: Well, again, and like I said, none of us in Congress, or anybody I know in Congress, has been presented with evidence to the contrary of what you just said.
BAIER: So you believe it to be true?
RYAN: Yes. We have seen no evidence that anybody in this campaign, or any other Americans, was in on it with the Russians to meddle in our elections. We know they meddled. Russia’s and adversary. And that’s something we have to work to counteract
Question 4: That would be Fake news and can easily fool people.

Question 5: It's the onion, if you don't know The Onion is fake by now crawl out from under your rock. If you have never read their "About Us" have al ook, it's funny to say the least.

Question 6: It should be quite clear that it is an ad, you can't simply label something like that fake because it's an ad. That said this is the fault of the media outlets themselves. That particular example is from the Washington Post and I see the same thing in my local paper where ads are laid out to look like real articles. You have what should be a trusted source actively participating in what could be a bunch of BS.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Can you save it?
Twice you had to bring in a President and do a slam.
Self control?
I know...

You're upset that the unpopular president is brought up in a politics forum.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:20 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,039 times
A car was involved in an accident in a street. As expected a large crowd gathered. A newspaper reporter, anxious to get his story could not get near the car. Being a clever sort, he started shouting loudly, “Let me through! Let me through! I am the son of the victim.” The crowd made way for him. Lying in front of the car was a donkey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies