Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 05:05 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,620,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Obviously some of these boomers are too busy shoveling mayo from Applebees into their mouths to look for some data.

Obesity Rates by Age Group: The State of Obesity

It's fully a 2to1 ratio of obese boomers to millennials.
How old are those charts? I am 46 and I know I am not a baby boomer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 05:06 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
There was a time, not long ago, when younger boomers and older Gen Xers were eating at new fangled national franchises like Sizzler, Red Lobster, and Bennigan's with their spunky, uniformed servers and all you can eat salad bars. And all the old fogeys had to shame them for forgoing independent restaurants and diners.

Oh, how the tables have turned. Now we are shaming millennials for giving up on corporatized boil-in-a-bag chain restaurants like they are violating some great American tradition. So now local chefs are revitalizing Main street with new takes on local restaurant and diner food and attracting a younger crowd eager to sample something original and local like America used to be, and they get crap for it.
Who is shaming? Those chains put a lot of local restaurants out of business back when they first invaded. Now in many places there is little between fast food and expensive independent restaurants other than chains. I never quite got the attraction to them, other than convenience for lunch or drinks after work. I don't know who to blame for them taking over suburbs but they are just kind of blah.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:28 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
"Millennials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's "

I have never heard of Buffalo Wild Wings. Judging by the Applebee's around here, I think they may be killing themselves.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:37 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,953,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Obviously some of these boomers are too busy shoveling mayo from Applebees into their mouths to look for some data.

Obesity Rates by Age Group: The State of Obesity

It's fully a 2to1 ratio of obese boomers to millennials.

Well no surprise there. Look who they chose to represent them.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:40 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
I'm a millennial. I won't eat at those chain places, unless it's something quick like Wendy's or Chick-fil-a. Buffalo WW, I can make at home with some frozen Tyson wings and a bottle of wing sauce. Applebees has always been junk. It's just a McDonalds, but in a "sit down" style restaurant. Almost everything there is prepared from frozen.

I like to support locally owned restaurants because they have more unique food, better prices, and better service.

I've noticed that a lot of those buffet places have been closing. Ryan's closed up shop years ago. Golden Corral is closing more and more locations.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:51 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
I should point out that the last time me and my fiance went to Chili's, our bill after tip was $60. Most young people can't afford that

Old 06-06-2017, 08:21 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
You put it into a baggie with a scoop of butter and a dash of seasoning. Then when someone orders it gets nuked for 30 seconds. Not that I worked there during college or anything....
I figured as much, tbh. That's really, really gross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I don't think the issue is Millenials not eating out but what they are willing to purchase. Chipotle, Panera, Chic fil A, and the like do huge business. The Ruby Tuesday, Bob Evans, TGI Fridays do not. Its a matter of changing preference and evolving tastes.
Changing preferences, evolving tastes, and pricing models.

If I'm gonna spend money for someone else to cook for me for a regular occasion, I want food that tastes great, won't kill me, and won't rob me. I'll totally pay a premium for a nicer, higher quality meal tho. Like sushi. Quality sushi and sashimi is soooo worth it.

$18 for a meal that has no flavor and is drowning in unnecessary fats and sodium? Pfffft. Nah. I can cook an entire meal for my family for $18. And it'll have flavor and be healthy.

I'm a millennial who is all about getting quality while also being budget conscious. Bye bye, Applebee's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I should point out that the last time me and my fiance went to Chili's, our bill after tip was $60. Most young people can't afford that
And those who can would prefer to spend it on something more enjoyable.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:40 PM

800 posts, read 508,726 times
Good. The rare times I've eaten at those soulless national chain sit down places before I've been exceedingly dissappointed in the food. And its way overpriced. The food, service, and character is almost always much better at locally owned small biz restaurants.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:55 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
I've never heard of Buffalo Wild Wings ever.

Applebees is just overpriced fast food and has truly awful Margaritas. In fact, most of their drinks suck.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:55 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Applebees and Buffalo Wild Wings have taken pages out of the "Hillary Clinton/Kathy Griffin Let's Blame Everyone Else Instead of Myself" book.
Amusing.

I don't care if the Big Box Restaurant chains go under. There's a lot to be said for local eateries that are not publicly traded corporations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies