Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 06:09 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
So much for all the snowflake sneering (especially on this forum) - I guess the old adage- if ya can't beat them join them is starting to make sense for a portion of the electorate who didn't - and DONT - support Trump.
We don't shoot people...

Old 06-14-2017, 06:14 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
What the anti gun crowd doesn't understand is that you aren't taking guns away from criminals; you're taking guns away from law abiding citizens who can use them to protect against violent criminals. Criminals will just get guns illegally if they're outlawed. Banning guns also doesn't reduce the amount of crime; all it does is make criminals resort to using other weapons.
Chicago PD confiscated 8000 gun last year, mostly from the 5 neighborhoods where most shootings occur. Most were taken from gang members with long rap sheets.

Of course some will resort to other means if guns were not an option. That however does not seem to be common in those countries, with very strict laws.

The US people need guns because we live in a violent society.

We are a violent society because there are more guns than people.

And around we go.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:20 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Each and every one of these random shootings, whether it's a terrorist or a simple nut job like in Alexandria today ESTABLISHES THE NEED for law abiding citizens to be able to protect themselves. And I don't just mean to OWN a gun, but also to CARRY a gun. The bad guys are already carrying guns, so it won't change anything for them, but it might give some innocent person in a restaurant or a mall the chance to save their own life or the lives of others.
Yet it appears none of the Congress critters, their aides nor the lobbyists were carrying guns. Had they done so, it likely there would be more carnage given the chaos.

During the Dallas Police massacre, many were doing the open carry thing. They ran just like the unarmed people. Cannot imagine what would have happened if they all started shooting at eachother.

Guns don't seem to be particularily useful in instances of mass shootings.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:23 PM

11,350 posts, read 16,714,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I have to give them credit on this one. An lone, overweight, elderly man armed with a knife or baseball bat, running around a baseball field trying to attack Congresspeople probably young enough to be his children? Laughable, but put a gun in his hand and it is deadly.

THIS is the real issue, not politics, not religion, not even mental illness. Guns. Sorry, NRA, MORE guns are not the solution. "Rounding Third, Carrying an AK-47, and Headed for Home" ???????? NO, NRA. LESS guns is what is needed.

I am a Sanders supporter, who voted for Hillary. Senseless Violence, be that against a Democrat, Republican, Black Churchgoers, or School Children.

Eliminate the MEANS, and the Motive becomes Moot.
Guns have been around for many years.

It's not a gun issue, but a mental health concern.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:38 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Chicago PD confiscated 8000 gun last year, mostly from the 5 neighborhoods where most shootings occur. Most were taken from gang members with long rap sheets.

Of course some will resort to other means if guns were not an option. That however does not seem to be common in those countries, with very strict laws.

The US people need guns because we live in a violent society.

We are a violent society because there are more guns than people.

And around we go.
Not really... I've got 5 safes full... I'm not violent. I never attacked anyone with fists or weapons. I have no criminal history.

That said there's more guns than people in my house... Does that make me the exception to that theory?

Old 06-14-2017, 06:42 PM

10,235 posts, read 6,326,286 times
All legal gun owners are good guys with a guns, until they aren't. Just like my 68 year old neighbor, terrified of "bad guys" with guns, who SNAPPED one night and shot her invalid 72 year old husband in his wheelchair. She was a law abiding citizen with a gun, until she wasn't.

Can your cliches, gun people. I have been married to an NRA gun owner (dozens) for 43 years. Makes his own bullets too. I even went shooting in my younger years to please HIM, not me. Why I am doing this when I do not like it myself?

HIS guns have been locked up in a safe for 43 years, when we had young children, and today. I do not want to be around his guns. I will not go anywhere with him when he is carrying. Do I have that RIGHT under your 2nd Amendment? Do I have the right to frisk my own husband if I want to?

I will protect myself. You do not have to protect poor little, old lady me with your gun. I HAVE protected myself as a teenager with a burglar with a knife with whatever I had around me, AND against a burglar as a young married before my husband could get out and load his gun.

I have had this in the back of my mind for 43 years, which is why I want them locked up. What if he SNAPS like my neighbor? Strange bad guys with guns? What is you answer for good guys with guns, who you know, who snap and become bad guys with guns????? Never happen? The 2nd Amendment trumps this? MORE people with guns is your answer?

As I said in my OT, relative to this shooter, "A gun is the great equalizer" according to the NRA. My husband is an overweight 68 year old man. I am half his height and weight at the same age and can today out walk him, let alone out run him, let alone any one younger and more fit. A GUN would give an overweight old man the advantage over anyone else. POINT of my OP.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:44 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,288 times
Quote:
Why do you want to own a gun? Just because I want one and it is my right? Not good enough. Establish a NEED, as many state do have on the books.

It certainly should be interesting to see the NRA response to this. I also read that this man was an out of state resident, meaning he had to take his guns across state lines, which NRA thinks should be legal across state lines. Do you favor that also? Carry permits universal across the country?

You cannot escape this issue. Gun control.
The only way to legally do what you want to do is to fully repeal the 2nd amendment. Everything else is unconstitutional.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:45 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
Quote:
I have to give them credit on this one. An lone, overweight, elderly man armed with a knife or baseball bat, running around a baseball field trying to attack Congresspeople probably young enough to be his children? Laughable, but put a gun in his hand and it is deadly.

THIS is the real issue, not politics, not religion, not even mental illness. Guns. Sorry, NRA, MORE guns are not the solution. "Rounding Third, Carrying an AK-47, and Headed for Home" ???????? NO, NRA. LESS guns is what is needed.

I am a Sanders supporter, who voted for Hillary. Senseless Violence, be that against a Democrat, Republican, Black Churchgoers, or School Children.

Eliminate the MEANS, and the Motive becomes Moot.
It is the hate message that is the motivator .

Old 06-14-2017, 06:52 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
All legal gun owners are good guys with a guns, until they aren't. Just like my 68 year old neighbor, terrified of "bad guys" with guns, who SNAPPED one night and shot her invalid 72 year old husband in his wheelchair. She was a law abiding citizen with a gun, until she wasn't.

Can your cliches, gun people. I have been married to an NRA gun owner (dozens) for 43 years. Makes his own bullets too. I even went shooting in my younger years to please HIM, not me. Why I am doing this when I do not like it myself?

HIS guns have been locked up in a safe for 43 years, when we had young children, and today. I do not want to be around his guns. I will not go anywhere with him when he is carrying. Do I have that RIGHT under your 2nd Amendment? Do I have the right to frisk my own husband if I want to?

I will protect myself. You do not have to protect poor little, old lady me with your gun. I HAVE protected myself as a teenager with a burglar with a knife with whatever I had around me, AND against a burglar as a young married before my husband could get out and load his gun.

I have had this in the back of my mind for 43 years, which is why I want them locked up. What if he SNAPS like my neighbor? Strange bad guys with guns? What is you answer for good guys with guns, who you know, who snap and become bad guys with guns????? Never happen? The 2nd Amendment trumps this? MORE people with guns is your answer?

As I said in my OT, relative to this shooter, "A gun is the great equalizer" according to the NRA. My husband is an overweight 68 year old man. I am half his height and weight at the same age and can today out walk him, let alone out run him, let alone any one younger and more fit. A GUN would give an overweight old man the advantage over anyone else. POINT of my OP.
This reminds me of arguments I occasionally hear from a crime victim when an offender has been arrested and they are demanding something about them and they have to be told, "Ma'am, he has rights." and their response is,

"WELL, WHAT ABOUT MY RIGHTS?".

I would love to be able to respond with, "Which rights are you referring to, Ma'am?" but of course, I can't say that, it would be a PR nightmare.

Hence for those who are saying, "Well, what about my rights?" I would suggest you refer to your Constitutions, state and federal, to figure out just what rights you are talking about.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:54 PM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,619 times
Quote:
Why do you want to own a gun? Just because I want one and it is my right? Not good enough. Establish a NEED, as many state do have on the books.
In which States can people only buy guns based on NEED?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies