Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2017, 06:55 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Chicago PD confiscated 8000 gun last year, mostly from the 5 neighborhoods where most shootings occur. Most were taken from gang members with long rap sheets.

Of course some will resort to other means if guns were not an option. That however does not seem to be common in those countries, with very strict laws.

The US people need guns because we live in a violent society.

We are a violent society because there are more guns than people.

And around we go.
We are not violent because of guns.

We are violent because of socioeconomic factors like education, single parent households and lack of opportunity.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:57 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
All legal gun owners are good guys with a guns, until they aren't. Just like my 68 year old neighbor, terrified of "bad guys" with guns, who SNAPPED one night and shot her invalid 72 year old husband in his wheelchair. She was a law abiding citizen with a gun, until she wasn't.

Can your cliches, gun people. I have been married to an NRA gun owner (dozens) for 43 years. Makes his own bullets too. I even went shooting in my younger years to please HIM, not me. Why I am doing this when I do not like it myself?

HIS guns have been locked up in a safe for 43 years, when we had young children, and today. I do not want to be around his guns. I will not go anywhere with him when he is carrying. Do I have that RIGHT under your 2nd Amendment? Do I have the right to frisk my own husband if I want to?

I will protect myself. You do not have to protect poor little, old lady me with your gun. I HAVE protected myself as a teenager with a burglar with a knife with whatever I had around me, AND against a burglar as a young married before my husband could get out and load his gun.

I have had this in the back of my mind for 43 years, which is why I want them locked up. What if he SNAPS like my neighbor? Strange bad guys with guns? What is you answer for good guys with guns, who you know, who snap and become bad guys with guns????? Never happen? The 2nd Amendment trumps this? MORE people with guns is your answer?

As I said in my OT, relative to this shooter, "A gun is the great equalizer" according to the NRA. My husband is an overweight 68 year old man. I am half his height and weight at the same age and can today out walk him, let alone out run him, let alone any one younger and more fit. A GUN would give an overweight old man the advantage over anyone else. POINT of my OP.
Going by this line of thinking you are not a murderer until you are so we might as well lock you up for your pre crime.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:59 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
Quote:
So then you are willing to live with the consequences and just give up?
I am.. I'm tired of the nanny state regulating every aspect of our lives from cradle to grave. I'm willing to take the risks of others having guns that I might get shot, just like I'd be willing to risk faster speed limits so I'm not putting along like a granny. Life is about risks. Maybe those people should have been packing.

I'd be all for requiring training courses to own a gun though, and the need to obtain a license. This is where I differ with republicans. I learned a lot to get my Utah permit at the class I had to take. There's a lot of dumb things people do wrong with their guns, people who don't actually use them I mean, but just act all tough and shoot once every couple years. The 4 safety rules are frequently ignored. Once this license is obtained, I believe we should have unrestricted access to just about any firearm that's not a fully automatic, including suppressors and the "dreaded" AR-15, of which I own. I'd trust democrats to propose sensible gun legislation, but every time they are given power they just ban them... look at IL, CA, NY...

What about elderly people who shouldn't be driving plowing through crowds of people? Why are we not giving more frequent driving tests and removing licenses from slow, blind, senile elderly people who should not be behind the wheel?

Old 06-14-2017, 07:04 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
You should tell us all about how you've defended yourself against an armed perp.

Do your spin kick the gun or knife out of their hand like Chuck Norris?
I think he has one of those ninja stares of infinity where they kind of black out and he snatches their still beating heart.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:06 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I am.. I'm tired of the nanny state regulating every aspect of our lives from cradle to grave. I'm willing to take the risks of others having guns that I might get shot, just like I'd be willing to risk faster speed limits so I'm not putting along like a granny. Life is about risks. Maybe those people should have been packing.

I'd be all for requiring training courses to own a gun though, and the need to obtain a license. This is where I differ with republicans. I learned a lot to get my Utah permit at the class I had to take. There's a lot of dumb things people do wrong with their guns, people who don't actually use them I mean, but just act all tough and shoot once every couple years. The 4 safety rules are frequently ignored. Once this license is obtained, I believe we should have unrestricted access to just about any firearm that's not a fully automatic, including suppressors and the "dreaded" AR-15, of which I own. I'd trust democrats to propose sensible gun legislation, but every time they are given power they just ban them... look at IL, CA, NY...

What about elderly people who shouldn't be driving plowing through crowds of people? Why are we not giving more frequent driving tests and removing licenses from slow, blind, senile elderly people who should not be behind the wheel?
I think we should have unrestricted access to all arms honestly. Can't tell me it wouldn't be cool to have an MG42 or a tank to cruise around with... I'd be beyond thrilled to have an F16 fighter jet but I'll settle for an A10... and if those were off the list... well I'd settle for an apache or a cobra or even a huey...

Traffic? What traffic?

Old 06-14-2017, 07:08 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,215,097 times
Quote:
All legal gun owners are good guys with a guns, until they aren't. Just like my 68 year old neighbor, terrified of "bad guys" with guns, who SNAPPED one night and shot her invalid 72 year old husband in his wheelchair. She was a law abiding citizen with a gun, until she wasn't.

Can your cliches, gun people. I have been married to an NRA gun owner (dozens) for 43 years. Makes his own bullets too. I even went shooting in my younger years to please HIM, not me. Why I am doing this when I do not like it myself?

HIS guns have been locked up in a safe for 43 years, when we had young children, and today. I do not want to be around his guns. I will not go anywhere with him when he is carrying. Do I have that RIGHT under your 2nd Amendment? Do I have the right to frisk my own husband if I want to?

I will protect myself. You do not have to protect poor little, old lady me with your gun. I HAVE protected myself as a teenager with a burglar with a knife with whatever I had around me, AND against a burglar as a young married before my husband could get out and load his gun.

I have had this in the back of my mind for 43 years, which is why I want them locked up. What if he SNAPS like my neighbor? Strange bad guys with guns? What is you answer for good guys with guns, who you know, who snap and become bad guys with guns????? Never happen? The 2nd Amendment trumps this? MORE people with guns is your answer?

As I said in my OT, relative to this shooter, "A gun is the great equalizer" according to the NRA. My husband is an overweight 68 year old man. I am half his height and weight at the same age and can today out walk him, let alone out run him, let alone any one younger and more fit. A GUN would give an overweight old man the advantage over anyone else. POINT of my OP.

You have the right NOT to own a firearm if that is your choice. And anything that goes on between yourself and your spouse is between the two of you.

However you do not have the right to tell me, that I can not own a firearm if I choose to do so, especially since I am a law abiding citizen & and I have the legal right to own a firearm if I choose to do so.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:08 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
You should tell us all about how you've defended yourself against an armed perp.

Do your spin kick the gun or knife out of their hand like Chuck Norris?

Depends how much distance they have on me.

Same as if someone grabs you by the wrist. Twist toward their thumb. If you are determined, it ends up pointing at them.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:11 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,288,966 times
Humans are the problem. I may not have a gun, and may get intimidated by a person carrying. But despite the events of today, it's still a very low % of people that misuse or mistreat gun ownership.

Background checks etc have their purpose. Maybe education needs to be ramped up a few notches. Maybe in order to get a gun you need to enroll in and go to more detailed schooling. But guess what, a really bad person can be really nice throughout that entire process, and then once gun in hand, it can be used for bad things.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
You have the right NOT to own a firearm if that is your choice. And anything that goes on between yourself and your spouse is between the two of you.

However you do not have the right to tell me, that I can not own a firearm if I choose to do so, especially since I am a law abiding citizen & and I have the legal right to own a firearm if I choose to do so.

Irrational fear... gets the best of everyone...

Maybe if her husband was allowed to have one locked and cocked in the night stand the would be attacker would either surrender or become Swiss cheese...

Sounds odd to marry someone whom you have little in common with... I know I won't waste my time with a woman who doesn't like guns, or doesn't shoot. These guns and my other hobbies were here before you, they'll be here after you. There's the door. Bye felicia.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Depends how much distance they have on me.

Same as if someone grabs you by the wrist. Twist toward their thumb. If you are determined, it ends up pointing at them.
Good for the slide! Takes it out of battery every time! Cup the slide and frame with strong hand cup elbow with weak hand come straight up with weak arm fast and down on the slide fast and as hard as you can, just broke their arm at the elbow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies