Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2017, 10:31 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
You're conflating logical validity versus soundness.

Validity and Soundness | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy

When we discuss rules of inference, we are talking purely about logical form and the soundness of the premises are not relevant.
So let's move on to the soundness of your argument. Do tell how it works from that angle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 10:32 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
Right? Go tell Valerie Solanas that a ***** hat is "radical". LOL.

Those that know the least about something (in this case, feminism) always like to scream the loudest about it. Oh, city-data, never change.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Maginot Line View Post
It's a good thing for you we don't some kind of historic transcript that shows you figuratively flailing around like spinning top. Oh wait, we do. It's called "the thread".
And just what have you contributed to the discussion besides snide remarks about supposed flailing and other supposed gotchas? Nada.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:35 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
You're conflating logical validity versus soundness.

Validity and Soundness | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy

When we discuss rules of inference, we are talking purely about logical form and the soundness of the premises are not relevant.
I'm not conflating anything. I'm pointing out that while you can extrapolate an argument from a subset to a general population, that the extrapolation will not always be successful. Or sound, if you prefer. And you are trying to blow smoke to hide the fact that your extrapolation of a questionable conclusion regarding Amish women fails as an argument against women in general.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:41 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,325,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm not conflating anything. I'm pointing out that while you can extrapolate an argument from a subset to a general population, that the extrapolation will not always be successful. Or sound, if you prefer. And you are trying to blow smoke to hide the fact that your extrapolation of a questionable conclusion regarding Amish women fails as an argument against women in general.
This is nothing to do with the broader logical form. You're discussing the soundness of a premise.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:47 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,735,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Until fairly recently, virtually all medical studies on humans were done on men. Feminism played an important role in recognizing and starting to fix this problem. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1761670/

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...scular-disease
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"until fairly recently, virtually all medical studies on humans were done on men"

All, Really?
Harriot Kezia Hunt was one of the first woman to practice medicine, "clearly the first to achieve a marked success"
You completely misunderstood my sentence, but that is partly my fault. I didn't mark a clear transition from the idea of employment opportunities for women to other sorts of things feminism has helped accomplish. So I'm sorry for the confusion. I was not saying that all doctors have been men. I was saying that experimental subjects have been almost all men. The links I posted make this perfectly clear, but I don't blame you for not clicking on them. This thread has exploded to mind-boggling length in a very short time.

As for your response showing a list of women doctors, etc., I would also point out that I said virtually all, not "all". So even granting your misinterpretation, I would probably feel comfortable saying that most medical practitioners have been men - not because women wouldn't be interested in professional medicine, but because educational and employment opportunities for women to go into medicine were not historically very good. Without feminism, I doubt we'd see nearly as many female doctors and researchers as we see today.

But thanks for your list of women in medicine. I didn't know about most of these.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:50 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
This is nothing to do with the broader logical form. You're discussing the soundness of a premise.
I am discussing the soundness of a premise. That's how debate works. You offer up arguments, based on premises. Your argument's soundness depends on the soundness of your premise. I am pointing out that your premise is unsound, and therefore your argument is unsound.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:52 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Do you know what "flailing" means? Hint: it's not something one can do while at the same time, typing on an internet forum.
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:07 AM

225 posts, read 216,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
So let's move on to the soundness of your argument. Do tell how it works from that angle.
After the spanking you got the first time round, is this particularly wise?

Old 06-21-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Maginot Line View Post
After the spanking you got the first time round, is this particularly wise?
Again, no substance from you. He hasn't ever proven the soundness of his full premises as justifying his "logical" conclusion of taking away all feminism (even if he is arguing that we should accept these premises even if not sound), so we're still in the "first" round and waiting for some actual real rebuttals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies