Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 08:17 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Troops were drown down to practically nil by 2011. Occupation ended, combat operations enede. As for Vietnam, we were thrown out of the country when the North took Saigon. We had no intention of pulling every American out of the country if the South had been able to keep the North at bay.
We drew troops down and then started putting them back. We were involved the entire time still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 08:25 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We drew troops down and then started putting them back. We were involved the entire time still.
Yes, we have about 5000 troops there helping them fight ISIS, and guarding our embassy and it has been going very well. If you mean a troop pull-out can only mean there are zero troops left, then you'd have a point, but I guess we have a different understanding of the term. If you pull out 95% of the troops, then I consider it a pull-out. As far as I am concerned, we have pulled out of Iraq.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:47 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Strictly and technically speaking, the US has "troops" everywhere there is a US embassy.

Quote:
We never left Iraq. We are still there.

And that's why I still wear, every day, a steel memorial bracelet for 2nd Lt Emily J.T. Perez, San Antonio TX, KIA 12 September 2006, from the West Point "Class of 9/11."

When the last US combat unit has left Iraq, I'll send the bracelet to her parents. Until then, I'll wear it every day.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:08 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, we have about 5000 troops there helping them fight ISIS, and guarding our embassy and it has been going very well. If you mean a troop pull-out can only mean there are zero troops left, then you'd have a point, but I guess we have a different understanding of the term. If you pull out 95% of the troops, then I consider it a pull-out. As far as I am concerned, we have pulled out of Iraq.
Iraq is not a state. We have no business with even one troop there. We would never allow it here.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:12 AM

39,238 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

The debate isn't should US servicemen defend themselves if attacked, it's why is our government expanding a conflict in a region without congressional approval, and where the simplest and easiest solution would be to not overfly Syria without Syrian clearance and therefore not put US Servicemen in harms way.

Prior to events at the weekend it would have been to have a hard ROE that stated unless US forces (actual forces of Americans) are attacked, then Syrian forces and their allies are not to be attacked. We've been violating Syrian airspace for the entire length of time we've been there, we've bombed Syrian troops, we violated a negotiated ceasefire between the combatants and we shot a Syrian warplane down that eas flying in Syrian airspace and now we're getting shirty that Syria and allies see us as a threat and possible target. I mean given our series of completely mind-numbingly stupid actions so far how could Syria and Russia not see us as a threat and act accordingly? We've done everything but take out a double page ad in Pravda with a picture of Lady Liberty wrapped in the Stars and Stripes wielding an M16 saying "We're coming to kick your hairy a**es"
oh, excuse me!

I didn't realize there is a debate going on here.

lol

"US Pilots Will Defend Themselves If Attacked By Russians"

Of course they would. What else do you expect them to do? Die? I just want to simply point out there is nothing wrong with that statement, that is all.

If you want to "debate" over if we should be over there, then don't count me in. I am not interested because I am anti-almost-any-war at this point.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:21 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Iraq is not a state. We have no business with even one troop there. We would never allow it here.
Heh. Up until the 80s, there was a single UK bomber squadron and a single German fighter squadron stationed in the US as NATO token forces.

But that proved politically "too much" for Americans and they were removed (to the great disappointment of the Brit and German troops and their families who thoroughly enjoyed their US tours).

As they were pulling out, I moved into on-base quarters on Offutt AFB that had been occupied by a Brit and his wife. His wife was literally in tears at having to leave the US: "Things are so much cheaper here!" The guy said he was going to really miss central heating.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:27 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
oh, excuse me!

I didn't realize there is a debate going on here.

lol

"US Pilots Will Defend Themselves If Attacked By Russians"

Of course they would. What else do you expect them to do? Die? I just want to simply point out there is nothing wrong with that statement, that is all.

If you want to "debate" over if we should be over there, then don't count me in. I am not interested because I am anti-almost-any-war at this point.
Precisely annunciated!

My position is one of any government official thinking it necessary to state the obvious was simply more pandering to the masses and an insult to anyone with a scintilla of functioning brain matter.

I should have taken into consideration the target audience and realized........

Old 06-22-2017, 08:13 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,959,146 times
After the USA shot down a Syrian jet, Russia buzzed within 5 feet of a USA jet, then a USA jet buzzed a Russia jet. I hope Trump is encouraged to be less emotional and reactive in his decisions going forward.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:39 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Good luck with US winning a war with Russia.

#1 Russia can ask Iran to disable the airbase in Qatar.

#2 The US is not exactly on good terms in Turkey so flights from there are not guaranteed.

#3 The US Navy doesn't notice a container ship. I doubt American ships would notice incoming super sonic and newer hypersonic missiles that Russians now have.

Thus all air bases and sea based air support could be gone in minutes.

The best thing the US has to offer Russia is diplomacy and to mitigate what Russia and Iran are trying to do.

They only care about protecting their Naval base and building a pipeline from Iran. That means protecting the current Syrian leader who has approved both.
The best thing we can do is Get Out of the ME, does not look like that will be happening, some may also get a free trip to the Philippines.
Insanity begets more of he same.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:41 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
After the USA shot down a Syrian jet, Russia buzzed within 5 feet of a USA jet, then a USA jet buzzed a Russia jet. I hope Trump is encouraged to be less emotional and reactive in his decisions going forward.
True and while at it we can hope to see those flying pigs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies