Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 02:01 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
i agree with this!

Also want to add,

"US Pilots Will Defend Themselves If Attacked By Russians"

Of course they would. What else do you expect them to do? Die?

What I'd like to see them do is not be put in a position to have to defend themselves in yet another war of choice where we don't belong.

I don't want them being the pawns in a Donny/Vlad game of 'mine's bigger than yours' chess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 02:05 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
US Military says it won't be cowed by Russian threats to shoot at American planes. They will defend themselves if fired upon. (or maybe even targeted)

It's good to see the US Military stand up for itself again now that Trump is in command.

It's a marked change from Obama's "nice war" and apology tours, and letting Iranians capture our soldiers and humiliate them.

'We will not hesitate to defend ourselves': US military refuses to be cowed after Russia threatens to target every coalition plane or drone it finds west of the River Euphrates in Syria
Swell. So we'll get sucked into a war we never wanted and has no benefit for us, win or lose.
Just what the Russians want, Waldo. Once sucked into the middle of Syria, the Russians can move on with ease.

Leaving us backing a dictator who has lost all the confidence of his people. Just the spot they want us to be stuck in.

Snap out of it.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:08 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Yep; ill conceived silliness for the chattering classes. Neither Russia's government or any other, needs to be told this nonsense and nor will THEY be impressed by it in any way whatsoever. All comic opera for the dummies in the room who should be (but obviously are not) intelligent enough to assume if attacked; ANYONE would defend themselves.......

Further: comments about how the military now has a different leader aren't relevant to this discussion because regardless if Obama or Trump are at the helm; it could be assumed by anyone that the U.S. military would defend itself if attacked, to do otherwise would result in your military losing it's volunteers overnight.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:10 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
But you have yet to answer whether you think a US presence there is justified? Doesn't that fence get uncomfortable after a while?
What fence?
  • I don't think Obama & Hillary should have started another war in Syria. It was not justified. Why?
  • The Obama war plan was flawed. He tried to fight nice war. As a result, ISIS got stronger, millions ended up getting displaced, it mired us down in a mess. He lost his partner David Cameron.
  • Obama's war also put us into opposition with the Russians. I said earlier in this topic why.
  • Now it's Trump's war to fight.
  • Trump has 3 choices
  • Continue Obama failed war plan - This has been nixed
  • Immediate pull out which wastes all the time, effort & blood already spent there, and admit defeat.
  • Execute different war plan that brings victory to USA against ISIS.
I've answered your question. Now you tell us what Trump should do.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:10 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
But that doesn't really answer my question, if they're being locked on and responding with "extreme vigor", why aren't we hearing reports of shoot downs? It seems we've heard the stories for many years of both sides playing games with each other in international airspace, isn't locking on just to show you can part of those games?
Because they all know better than to push it that far.

At least they have before now. With a Russian fighter coming within 5 feet of an RC-135, I'm not sure whether they aren't willing to push it to the limits. If they were achieve a semi-active or active air-to-air lock on over the Baltic in NATO territory...a US pilot might have the restraint to look first. But that's going to be his own cockpit decision.

Over Syria--an active combat zone where the threat has already been made--Navy pilots are not going to be restrained and no commander would try to restrain them.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
What fence?
The one you sit on rather than answering a question.

Quote:
  • I don't think Obama & Hillary should have started another war in Syria. It was not justified. Why?
Oh crap! NOW it's gonna snow at the beach, I actually agree with you about something.

Quote:
  • The Obama war plan was flawed. He tried to fight nice war. As a result, ISIS got stronger, millions ended up getting displaced, it mired us down in a mess. He lost his partner David Cameron.
  • Obama's war also put us into opposition with the Russians. I said earlier in this topic why.

IF
starting the war was a bad idea as you say and I agree with, there was never such a thing as an unflawed plan.

Quote:
  • Now it's Trump's war to fight.
  • Trump has 3 choices
  • Continue Obama failed war plan - This has been nixed
  • Immediate pull out which wastes all the time, effort & blood already spent there, and admit defeat.
  • Execute different war plan that brings victory to USA against ISIS.
I've answered your question. Now you tell us what Trump should do.

I disagree, when you realize you're in a bad position, whether by your own doing or your predecessor's, continuing in that position makes no sense at all. The old advice is still good advice, when you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is STOP digging!

I believe Trump should order a pullout from Syria be accomplished as quickly as possible. It's simply not our war and there's nothing to be won by continuing there.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:19 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Waldos response would make more sense if we weren't shooting down Syrian aircraft, and launching tomahawks on Syrian airbases. Thats not "fighting ISIS", thats fighting Syria.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:27 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Absolutely not.

I said that Trump was not criminally liable for Obama's decision to start a war with Syria, IF as some said here, that it was an illegal action.
He is responsible for us being there today, and he is responsible for everything that happens there, like the downing of the jet.

Why are you having such a hard time with this?

Has the summer finally arrived in Moscow?

Old 06-20-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Waldos response would make more sense if we weren't shooting down Syrian aircraft, and launching tomahawks on Syrian airbases. Thats not "fighting ISIS", thats fighting Syria.

Million$ to shut down a Syrian airbase for a few hours, so glad we're cutting government waste.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:57 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:

I believe Trump should order a pullout from Syria be accomplished as quickly as possible. It's simply not our war and there's nothing to be won by continuing there.
So we disagree on this. Nothing wrong with it.

Syria is Obama's war. Trump is now president and he has to deal with it. He will not be impeached for it as was earlier stated.

US Military was also right to warn Russia that if they attack our forces, we will absolutely defend ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies