Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 05:30 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

What gets me is WHO they are protesting against... their customer base.

They aren't protesting the owners - which is what occurs with normal protests and strikes.

They are protesting their customers, and their protection (police).

Doesn't seem like a wise long term strategy.

It took the owners awhile, but they have figured this out and are trying to put in a rule to make them stand. Not gonna work... not at this point...

Old 10-17-2017, 05:34 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
im kneeling because, I'm special

Old 10-17-2017, 05:35 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
It was National evening news lead off story tonight. “Racial injustice” followed up later with “police beat up black man captured on video”... the MSM loves them some incindiary racial strife.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:35 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
im kneeling because, I'm special
I'm whining about kneeling because I'm a special snowflake.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:37 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,945,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If you want to watch the football game on TV, tune in just when kickoff begins. Find out the kick-off time before you turn on your TV.

If you want to protest, then don't watch.

Pretty simple.
1. That is what I do. Change the channel, but then I have to keep changing it back to see if they are done talking about it. I don't need you to state the obvious.

2. I like to watch the pregame as I already stated, so not watching the pregame does not help me at all.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:40 PM

18,744 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
It was National evening news lead off story tonight. “Racial injustice” followed up later with “police beat up black man captured on video”... the MSM loves them some incindiary racial strife.
When are they going to run a story on "White police arrest black man and treat him properly without racism"?

I haven't seen that on the news, so I guess it never happens.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:34 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Most of those protesting athletes will be backrupt a few years after retirement due to their stupidity.
And they would be right be out on the street dealing with....police brutality.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:54 PM

6,119 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
When they kneel or sit on the field as performers, during a time when Americans traditionally stand up for the National Anthem, "turning their backs on the 13 stripes and 50 stars" and the nation it stands for, is EXACTLY what these prima donna players are doing.
There's also a lack of logic the players connecting between what they are protesting (the National Anthem) and also what they actually think they are protesting (police misconduct/racial inequality?).

It's like protesting global warming by refusing to ever go out in the sun. The sun isn't what's causing global warming.

But, then again, football players in general aren't exactly the first people who come to mind as the people to look to for genius insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
What bothers me most is the disregard the players have for other Americans. When fans attend football they are not there for protesting and being made aware of social issues. Do Americans really need to be made aware of breast cancer? are we that dumb downed?

We are aware there is racism, that there are justified and un justified police shootings, and we know who BLM is, so is it wrong to want to attend or watch football with out these silly protest or to be made aware of some Issue? I say no, fans tune in to see football and when the games on they do not give a dam about those issues.
Also, don't most professions have a code of conduct about engaging in political activity while at work? They can do this on their own time and dime, but not when they're on the clock, so to speak. Why?- Because it's simply not professional to do so. Apparently the players don't have this as part of their code of conduct- although is that going to change?

Last edited by Jowel; 10-17-2017 at 08:05 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 07:28 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,737,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Yup. No response.

How typical.
I responded several pages and over 24 hours ago.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:43 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,737,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
NFL athletes are humans, just like non-NFL athletes, so of course there are going to be criminals in the league. How is that any different than any other industry?

656 NFL athlete-arrests in the last 17 years. Over 10 million Americans arrested in 2016.

You must see how that type of "logic" fails.

Some of you hold pro athletes to a higher standard than police officers and police departments.

That's part of the problem. Some of you hold the wrong people to higher standards.

post.
There have been 656 NFL players arrested 870 times since the year 2000. In a league of 1596 people not only is it excessive it's more or less been accepted by the league. These numbers don't count the numerous other time's incidents are swept under the rug like they never happened. And, don't say they don't because it's well known that it does happen. It's not just black players either. It's the league as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies