Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 09:11 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,217,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I just hope that millions of the people who voted for Trump will wake up and realize Donald is a scumbag when he lets Obamacare die and they lose their health coverage.

Trumpers keep saying that Trump is "fighting for his supporters" yet MILLIONS of people (to include many Trump voters) would be without healthcare if Trump lets Obamacare die like he says he will.

How is that a good thing?!
I lost my healthcare coverage because of obama as did millions.

That argument won't fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 09:13 AM

59,014 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I would have also added that his inability to rule on the subsidies is helping the demise. The ACA certainly has problems but Trumps actions are certainly helping it along.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...care-fail.html
I would start with eliminating the hundreds of exceptions Obama gave.

"
Obama administration issues hundreds of health care exemption waivers to friends

Ethan A. Huff,
Natural News
Feb 2, 2011
If Obamacare is everything the administration claims it to be, then why are government officials secretly handing out exemption waivers to friends and insiders? A Washington Times report explains that since the health care bill was passed last year, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has issued at 733 exemptions-and-counting to friends of the White House in order to shelter them from the massive insurance rate hikes that the rest of America will get stuck paying, that is if the bill is not overturned or declared unconstitutional.
It began with 111 waivers, which gradually rose to 222, and that has now topped 733. Recipients include various cities and states, businesses, and unions, including the Service Employees International Union (SEIU). SIEU, of course, contributed $27 million to the Obama campaign back in 2008, so perhaps the union’s waiver was a friendly “thank you” gift.
According to the report, more than 500 of the 733 waivers were quietly issued back in December, but were not revealed until after the recent State of the Union address. In fact, the reality of such waivers has been largely hush-hush from the administration of supposed “transparency” all along, probably due to the fact that they expose the health care scam for what it truly is."

https://www.prisonplanet.com/obama-a...o-friends.html

Old 07-31-2017, 09:15 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,108,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I lost my healthcare coverage because of obama as did millions.

That argument won't fly.
I'm sorry to hear that. Truly.

Well, do you think democrats and republicans should work together on a bipartisan fix to Obamacare to try and make sure millions more don't lose their coverage like you did?

Or should Trump and McConnell "just let it die," which means that millions more WILL lose their health coverage like you did?

Which do you think is the better option for the American people???

Old 07-31-2017, 09:19 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,171,516 times
But what will Republican darling, Tomi Lahren do if she loses Obamacare?!

Old 07-31-2017, 09:21 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post

Which do you think is the better option for the American people???

Repeal. It will be painful, but solutions (that work, to the benefit of all) will come over a period of time. The history of free enterprise is replete with examples.

Let the free market deal with it.

Government can't handle it. The people (free market, free will, entrepreneurs) will have to. Like they always have.

Or the people will will have to give up their freedom, for false "security" from a government that cares not a whit about them. Only the bottom line, and how much of that can be siphoned into their pockets.

Those are your choices. Freedom, or slavery. Choose wisely.

CN

Old 07-31-2017, 09:21 AM

57,248 posts, read 26,186,773 times
Quote:
Single payer will never happen if ACA exists.

ACA must die to get more socialized medicine.

Think about it.
Repealing the ACA is not a solution, throwing people off health care is not a solution.

The GOP should send this to committee and invite professional health care organizations and insurance companies into hearing rather than 13 republican senators creating a bill behind closed doors. Taking money from health care to balance out their tax plan is a poorly conceived idea, healthcare is complicated enough without adding in the transfer of funding.

They need to improve the ACA and address the escalating costs of health care that are eating away at our GDP, they should have common ground in some areas. After all what's the rush.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:42 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Yes I am. My costs went up 150% and is killing us middle class self employed who have to pay for this monstrosity.

Kill the program.
Consider yourself lucky.

According to Kaiser, the average premium doubled in the decade before the ACA. Of course individual milage varies.

According to Kaiser, the percentage of the population in the Individual Plan Market is tiny compared to other forms of insurance. Most in the individual Plan Market enrollees are now subsidized. Given your profession and experience, it's likely you are not one of them.

Premiums in the Individual Plan market are set by factors beyond the control of an individual. This was true before the ACA and remains true today.

All Individual Plans are Geo Rated, true before and after ACA. For example, Florida has 69 unique Geo Rated regions. The premium for the same plan sold by the same insurer varies across the state based on the Geo Rated area.

Geo Ratings take into account the health of the local population as evidenced by claims made and the type of claims, the ratio of healthcare providers and hospital beds to the local population, the numbers of insurers selling Individual Plans in the local market and the depth and breadth of networks.

I am challenged to figure out why those in the Individual Plan market are less healthy than those in the large group plan market. This phenomena is not unique to ACA. Insurers have been exiting the Individual Plan Market for more than 25 years because they can't make a $.

Speculation on my part is that there's a strong balance of young and older people in the large group plan markets where employers subsidize premiums compared to the Individual Plan Market where younger people may be more likely to have other priorities than healthcare insurance.

Some of them are surprised to learn their bare bones, state mandated, auto liability policy does not cover them when they are found to be the cause of an auto accident where they incur injuries or when the other guy is at fault and his minimum liability is non- existent or inadequate to cover the other driver's injuries.

Many insurers with inadequate or legacy actuarial experience in Individual Plan Markets initially participated on the Exchanges. Their premiums did not adequately reflect the exposures within the Individual Plan Markets. The projected number of healthy young people did not materialize. The spiral began.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
If anything the penalties for not signing up for healthcare were not severe enough.

Just a bit misleading when he keep stating "it's failing on it's own".
One could drive a truck through the generous loopholes to avoid the ACA mandate.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:47 AM

9,284 posts, read 14,897,165 times
Quote:
Let liberals fix their broken abortion.

Otherwise republicans should concentrate on full repeal.
"Liberals" can't fix anything if Repubs stop the funding- they are actively trying to get the ACA to fail. https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-tr...205915490.html

Full repeal only if they replace it with the "fabulous fantastic great health care for all" as trump promised.
Ask the Liar in Chief.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
A good part of the population doesn't worry about health care until they are sick, they think they will be fine and some how immune to old age, cancer and other tragedies.

Why is it so difficult to comprehend that any health care plan that cannot draw in young healthy people will fail.
Many people do not understand insurance. There is a tendency to believe all insurance is alike. It hits the fan when they become victims of violence, are injured in an auto accident or otherwise or cannot reasonably ignore symptoms of what eventually becomes a serious diagnosis.

When I was in my 20's, decades before the ACA, I never gave much thought to insurance beyond a choice between HMO and what eventually became PPO. Someone told me HMOs were bad news so I checked the other box. My employer provided it. I assumed it was good. I was lucky and had no reason to make a claim.

Fast forward, my daughter got a part time job at a chain restaurant and was considering enrolling in the company sponsored insurance. I took a look at it. It excluded hospitalization and medications and capped claims at $1,000/ year. The so- called subsidized premiums were greater than the maximum annual benefit.

Such a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies