Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 09:42 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times

Advertisements

Having watched the care givers help my father in a memory care center while he suffered from Alzheimer's, I came to greatly appreciate these people, many who couldn't even speak English. Now my mother is also at a retirement center (assisted living), and when I paid a visit a couple of days ago there was a big sign out front I had never seen there before. "NOW HIRING." They can't find the help they need to staff the facility...

I've made this argument before, and now I see it's beginning to happen. We're finding the problem Trump and his supporters thought they were fixing was actually not as much a problem for us as much as it was a solution. A solution we were apparently not able to admit or legitimize. We made them out to be "rapists and murderers" instead and made them unwelcome even though they were doing all the work we can't do on our own and don't want to do!

"You might consider, for starters, the enormous demand for low-skilled workers, which could well go unmet as the baby boom generation ages out of the labor force, eroding the labor supply. Eight of the 15 occupations expected to experience the fastest growth between 2014 and 2024 — personal care and home health aides, food preparation workers, janitors and the like — require no schooling at all."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/b...nomy-jobs.html

Now what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 09:49 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Here we go again with the same old stale pro illegal argument that no one else will do these jobs which is total bull crap. Why do liberals seem to get some satisfaction knowing illegals are being used for 21st century slave labor and then brag about how they are uneducated and can't do anything else? How about you start cleaning your own toilet, prepare your own food, mow your own lawn and pay another American a decent wage to be a caretaker?
BTW, you might as well quote the National Enquirer as the NY Times. They are both full of propaganda crap and best used in the bathroom to wipe.

Last edited by marino760; 08-11-2017 at 10:23 AM..

Old 08-11-2017, 10:06 AM

19,846 posts, read 12,106,658 times
You had illegal aliens providing health care for your parents?

Old 08-11-2017, 10:22 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
The beauty of cheap illegal labor is that it has no limits.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Here we go again with the same old stale pro illegal argument that no one else will do these jobs which is total bull crap. Why do liberals seem to get some satisfaction knowing illegals are being used for 21st century slave labor and then brag about how they are uneducated and can't do anything else? How about you start cleaning your own toilet, prepare your own food, mow your own lawn and pay another American a decent wage to be a caretaker?
BTW, you might as well quote the National Enquirer as the NY Times. They are both full of propaganda crap.
I started by describing my own experience and observations first hand, and the article provided some facts and statistics that support my observations and opinions about this. Your comment offers nothing instead but what seems to be the very typical conservative denial based on a head-in-sand viewpoint.

Rather than dis whatever information or source of information, I am always glad to learn otherwise. Just getting your opinion based on who knows what is nothing but a waste of time and attention. Surely you can do better...

Old 08-11-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Hard to know exactly, since we contracted with the care facility and had no reason to question those working there about their credentials. What we paid attention to was the quality of the care, whether they spoke English or not. Remember, these people are not doctors. They are care givers. They move the wheelchair around to from the dinner table and the bed. They clean the spittle off the bib. Cook the dinners and clean the dishes...

Old 08-11-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
The beauty of cheap illegal labor is that it has no limits.
I wonder how many other people didn't even bother to read the article or consider the facts of this matter. As one who owned an employment agency, I had little choice but to consider and deal with the actual facts of these matters...

Old 08-11-2017, 10:31 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,906,179 times
Once there are no takers for stoop labor or other onerous tasks, Agent Orange will simply change his position. His blind followers will be fine with that. He has NO core principles. None. Remember, he was a liberal Manhattan Democrat. And so were all his grown kids....they couldn't even vote for him in the NY GOP Primary because they were still registered Dems.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
How about you start cleaning your own toilet, prepare your own food, mow your own lawn and pay another American a decent wage to be a caretaker?
Insulting this BTW...

I never said we have someone cleaning our toilets, though we all know many a hired maid does for lots of Americans. We prepare our own food here too, but we also see the hundreds of people working in the farm fields nearby, and they too don't speak much English. We had no choice but to admit my father into a memory care facility, because my mother could no longer attend to his special needs. None of us kids lived close enough around to do so either, and even if we did, our father was ultimately better off in a facility with qualified staff who could not only take care of his basic needs, but medical emergency as well.

Learn even a little bit about all this, and you know how expensive the whole proposition is and how none of these care facilities can afford to pay other than bottom minimum wage for most of the work done there. I only wish I could dream up whatever alternative reality conservatives commenting so far in this thread like to dream up, but I simply know better. Too bad more people don't, or they wouldn't be helping Trump to make matters only worse for all of us without even knowing it!

Old 08-11-2017, 10:35 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
BTW, you might as well quote the National Enquirer as the NY Times. They are both full of propaganda crap and best used in the bathroom to wipe.
No, you are absolutely wrong. You would love to think that there would be Americans lining up for the jobs many people from other countries take, but they are not. Hell, we can't even get us spoiled Americans to show up for easy, well paying jobs.

Fruit and vegetables are rotting in the fields.........where are the Americans who could be doing that work ? Lawn maintenance people work 12 hour days in the scorching sun, how many Americans do you see out there ? We have gotten fat and lazy and too good to demean ourselves with "lowly" physical labor jobs like those.

If you pulled every alien, legal and otherwise, out of this country, you would see devastating results in productivity and the economy. You only think Americans would do these jobs, history tells us just the opposite. I've worked side by side with illegals, and they show up, work hard all day, and only want to have a better life, a life that comes from hard work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies