Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2017, 08:37 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
But whose tired and huddled masses yearned to be free? Europeans FLED from Europe seeking a better life in these lands. These lands were brought into fruition in the agrarian era off the blood, sweat and tears of enslaved Africans. Slavery financed the industrial revolution.
LOL, white Europeans did the vast majority of sweating and fighting and building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 08:45 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
LOL, white Europeans did the vast majority of sweating and fighting and building.
Why did they have to leave Europe then? If you all were the key component of your rise and success....why did you have to move to lands where there were no white peoples? Europe was all white when whites were fleeing Europe. I don't understand. I do not understand why you all could not pick yourselves up by your bootstraps....while those boots were back in Europe.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:52 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
What if Martin Luther King's statues, road signs, monuments "antagonizes and causes divisions" with some groups? Would you advocate for removing them, too, residinghere? How about Mosques, or Temples, Satanic houses of worship, or Churches? How about the Constitution document in Washington? Or the Bill or Rights document? Should all symbols in our history that offend some people be removed? Who gets to decide what "antagonizes"?
Read the article.

If in your city a statue to MLK is antagonizing to you and a large group of the citizens in your area, then by all means remove it.

In regards to religious institutions, not sure how that is relevant to a statue. They are privately owned and constitutionally protected so you cannot destroy a mosque, church, temple, or even a Satanic house of worship just because you don't like it.

You ask a lot of silly questions.

I think it is interesting how these sorts of threads pull out those of you who have hate and contempt for black people. Ironically these sorts of threads do show that the legacy of white supremacy ideology, which was the reason blacks were kept enslaved in this nation and discriminated against, continues to exist.

All white people today and black and Asian and others who perpetuate the idea of black inferiority, actually are still "to blame" (will make note of the bold since I know many of you are not very good readers) As a black person, I am not concerned with slavery of the 19th century variety and don't care much about slavery except as an historical lesson. I also am well aware of how far black Americans have come as a demographic in the past 50 years since the last vestiges of severe oppression started to gradually be removed due to activism of black and white Americans. However, the idea that blacks are inferior to whites is still one that is very prevalent in our society. Many of you claim not to have those beliefs, yet spout them off regularly on the forum. It is sad and funny to me at the same time.

Racial prejudice and racism continues to live on even as legalized discrimination is diminished. Wanting to hold onto symbols of racism and oppression is a symptom of this. A majority of white Americans are not racist. And I doubt that they want to hold onto these symbols of racism. That is what the article was about - that those wanting to hold onto a racist symbol is them continuing to perpetuate racism in this country. Many of you on the forum are fine with this and that is your right to want to continue to have publicly displayed symbols of white supremacy, but it is also the right of others who want to leave those things in the past, to advocate for their removal from the public sphere and to place them in a more historical context - one that will speak to the life of the individual memorialized via the monument along with highlighting the reasons for the placement of those monuments in the first place - which was to show that whites were superior to other groups. You can overlook this actual history, but it is the truth.

In regards to slavery, the article was not entirely about slavery nor blaming whites for slavery. If people read it instead of just going on and on in regards to the title of this thread a the few sentences the OP posted, they would hopefully realize this. But unfortunately lots of people don't like to read much beyond a few sentences.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I would argue that there are already reparations in the form of government assistance and college grants. There are programs to help black people get good education and jobs. It is up to people to take advantage of those things, not squander it away. Millions of black people do take advantage. I honestly don't know what else will work.
Every American gets government assistance and college grants....

It is not reparations lol.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
This point is very delicate to handle, I saw that article from Vice about slavery. https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ppzevg/hey-v12n5

Even the controversial website Snopes said then parts of it is partially true. 9 Facts About Slavery They Don't Want You to Know
Please note that your Snopes link does not correspond to the vice article in question.

Also will note that it is only weirdo, newly interested in the Trans-Atlantic Slave trade white conservatives who never knew that Africans captured and sold other African tribes to Europeans. It is very weird that many of you seem not to know this and think black people don't know it....

Frederick Douglass talked about this thing in the 1840s. It was one of the reasons why he and other black anti-slavery/abolitionists did not support the idea of blacks "going back to Africa" via the American Colonization Society, something that a large amount of white abolitionist supported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
If you want to leave, feel free to go. Don't let us stop you. Because you will never get reparations, no matter what any democrat politician promises (lies) to you.

Even if you did get reparations, in huge amounts, it will change nothing. Until you grow up and give up your resentments and hatred. What amount of money could get you to suddenly love white people? It's sad to see people hung up on remaining a voluntary victim all of their lives.
FYI - black Americans know that reparations will never happen. But will note a lot of us don't hate white people or have any resentment. Not all of us support "money" either or think we are victims. I would support reparations in the form of free public university attendance and free healthcare for life for all black Americans via the Medicaid system in the US. That is all that I feel would be needed to continue to gradually repair the damage done to the demographic by over 300 years of oppression.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:08 AM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Why did they have to leave Europe then? If you all were the key component of your rise and success....why did you have to move to lands where there were no white peoples? Europe was all white when whites were fleeing Europe. I don't understand. I do not understand why you all could not pick yourselves up by your bootstraps....while those boots were back in Europe.
Were your ancestors slow or dumb? I mean, they got caught. I don't understand.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:11 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
The slavery part of this country was very small and short lived. Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin etc....all key states where a slave never set foot. Land broken by horses and oxen with white guys sweating 12 hours a day and fighting off Indians to protect their families. That is what built America along with the contributions of Africans and Asians. All played a part. Whites did the vast majority of the working, fighting and dying. That is history.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:23 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This writer is perpetrating some evil on the English language.
Writers are highly educated in the use of words to manipulate people.

Yep manipulate people through word games but because they are under Totalitarian Mind Control they will not take a moment to seriously consider my post above and will automatically reject it without thought. Automatically believing what they tell you without thinking is mind control.

'Political Correctness' is Totalitarian Mind Control

Old 08-15-2017, 09:29 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The slavery part of this country was very small and short lived. Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin etc....all key states where a slave never set foot. Land broken by horses and oxen with white guys sweating 12 hours a day and fighting off Indians to protect their families. That is what built America along with the contributions of Africans and Asians. All played a part. Whites did the vast majority of the working, fighting and dying. That is history.
That doesn't matter, Democrats and the media and their followers are going to get as much mileage out of this as they can.

If anyone thinks its ok that Democrats get away with the double standard and blaming everyone else but themselves, consider this.... Even today, 150 years after, they're still using it and have been using it all along even though Democrats fought against civil rights. After all they are experts of doing wrong then successfully blaming everyone else. What will they do next then blame everyone else?

Old 08-15-2017, 09:34 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Were your ancestors slow or dumb? I mean, they got caught. I don't understand.
Maybe....but the fact remains that when whites lived in their all white homeland of Europe......the MASSES did not have a good life....and life did not really improve for the average European until Europeans started taking others peoples stuff (land, labor, resources, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies