Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2017, 04:38 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,646,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't where some of these people have the gall to tell us about American history that we lived and our relatives lived.

When I was young sometimes there were kids whose parents were European immigrants or 1st generation. The parents were fully integrated and usually at most might had an accent and their kids were as American as any other white American.

It's just preposterous to claim that America didn't have an identifying culture and NW Europeans followed by all Europeans don't assimilate more completely and quickly.
My great grandparents never learned English when they came here, they moved to a Slovak neighborhood in Endicott, NY and spoke Slovak til they died. Their children (my grandparents) were bilingual, and then my dad and his sister's only spoke English. Usually how it works

Old 08-21-2017, 04:58 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,119,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
We are all familiar with the phrase "diversity is our strength." I would like to know what the historical basis for that is. Sure, US has always been "multi-cultural" but all of those cultures came from the same race/geographic area and were always forced to assimilate into one culture. Where did the idea that a society made up roughly equally of fiver different races would be better than a county of only one race?

I'm not trying to stir the pot here, just trying to learn. Thanks!
Switzerland has German, French, and Italian speaking areas.

The Netherlands is a multicultural kingdom with European and Caribbean regions (ABC/BES islands).

France has extensive overseas regions ranging from Polynesian islands not unlike Hawaii to heavily Creole French Guyana and Caribbean islands like Martinique, and Indian Ocean islands like Mayotte which is almost entirely Muslim, etc.

The UK has 20 odd overseas territories and crown dependencies. Gibraltar in particular has a very unique blend of British, Italian, and Spanish culture that does not in any way dilute Gibraltar's British identity. Bermuda has a large Portuguese population that has mixed in with White and Black British culture with a strong American influence. Again, poll after poll shows upwards of 80% of Bermudians in favor of remaining a British Overseas Territory. The Channel Islands of Jersey and Guernsey have a strong Norman (French) influence yet the islands are undeniably British.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:06 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,622,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Switzerland has German, French, and Italian speaking areas.

The Netherlands is a multicultural kingdom with European and Caribbean regions (ABC/BES islands).

France has extensive overseas regions ranging from Polynesian islands not unlike Hawaii to heavily Creole French Guyana and Caribbean islands like Martinique, and Indian Ocean islands like Mayotte which is almost entirely Muslim, etc.

The UK has 20 odd overseas territories and crown dependencies. Gibraltar in particular has a very unique blend of British, Italian, and Spanish culture that does not in any way dilute Gibraltar's British identity. Bermuda has a large Portuguese population that has mixed in with White and Black British culture with a strong American influence. Again, poll after poll shows upwards of 80% of Bermudians in favor of remaining a British Overseas Territory. The Channel Islands of Jersey and Guernsey have a strong Norman (French) influence yet the islands are undeniably British.
Here is the trick though; all these people you mentioned are included into something "multi-national" WITH THEIR OWN ANCESTRAL LANDS. ( This was a case with the Soviet Union too by the way.)
This is a far more successful formula, than the "outsiders" moving in to share someone else's "place of habitat," or people from all over the world moving in together on the same territory.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
A diverse, and multi-cultural society can succeed only if those new immigrants, or at least their first gen children ASSIMILATE. Speak English, and embrace American culture and values, including capitalism, and NOT the welfare state.
And what about all the White trash sucking off the welfare state? Mama June from Honey Boo Boo is the ultimate welfare queen.

See this is the problem. You guys fail to acknowledge that a significant portion of America's Whites are just as bad as the minorities you endlessly bash. At least the immigrants work. The same can't be said for the rubes in the Rust Belt and coal country.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Here is the trick though; all these people you mentioned are included into something "multi-national" WITH THEIR OWN ANCESTRAL LANDS. ( This was a case with the Soviet Union too by the way.)
This is a far more successful formula, than the "outsiders" moving in to share someone else's "place of habitat," or people from all over the world moving in together on the same territory.
In France, everyone in French ... there are no distinctions made between a Black person from Guadalupe or a White person from Lorraine. Both are equally French. Your "ancestral homeland" argument is therefore bunk.

Furthermore, Dutch Caribbean islands are very much either White or mixed race. Especially Aruba, less so in Curacao.

http://arenapoliti.co/images/779x490...mark-rutte.jpg
That's the Dutch Prime Minister and the Premier of Aruba ... care to guess which one is which?

https://imgserv9.tcdn.nl/v1/yJzT3x6Y...1414111385.jpg
Here's a picture of Dutch King Wilhelm Alexander inspecting an honor guard from the Vrijwilligers Korps Aruba (the island militia). The soldiers are White, Black, and mixed race.

Last edited by WIHS2006; 08-21-2017 at 05:25 PM..

Old 08-21-2017, 05:18 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,894,678 times
Quote:
And what about all the White trash sucking off the welfare state? Mama June from Honey Boo Boo is the ultimate welfare queen.

See this is the problem. You guys fail to acknowledge that a significant portion of America's Whites are just as bad as the minorities you endlessly bash. At least the immigrants work. The same can't be said for the rubes in the Rust Belt and coal country.
Oh baloney over 50% of immigrants receive welfare and 74% of immigrant households with children receive welfare. That's several times the rate of native whites.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...port/71517072/

And so what if some of our cousins or distant American relatives or fellow Americans receive welfare? That doesn't mean we need foreigners from every nation, culture and backwater coming here and receiving it too.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:23 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,622,532 times
Quote:
In France, everyone in French ... there are no distinctions made between a Black person from Guadalupe or a White person from Lorraine. Both are equally French. Your "ancestral homeland" argument is therefore bunk.
Bwa-ha-ha. If you want to believe that it's ALWAYS true over there - by all means.
Although truth to be told of course, in France the "distinction" goes much more within French/Arabs lines than Whites/Blacks.

Last edited by erasure; 08-21-2017 at 05:52 PM..

Old 08-21-2017, 08:46 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,735,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
My great grandparents never learned English when they came here, they moved to a Slovak neighborhood in Endicott, NY and spoke Slovak til they died. Their children (my grandparents) were bilingual, and then my dad and his sister's only spoke English. Usually how it works
When I was a kid in the 1960s in NYC, I had a friend whose grandmother spoke no English. She was Italian and was not new to the country. She had lived and raised her children in Little Italy and never had any need to learn English.
Lots of older people like that when I was growing up.

Overall, I can't agree with the OP's ideas about homogeneity. It sure didn't help England during the War of the Roses, nor, as was mentioned, Ireland in the 20th century.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:39 PM

13,235 posts, read 21,860,221 times
Quote:
Oh baloney over 50% of immigrants receive welfare and 74% of immigrant households with children receive welfare. That's several times the rate of native whites.

Baloney yourself. That "research report" is nothing but a manifesto by an anti-immigration organization who border on white supremacy. The methodologies the used to generate those figures are a sham. Note that nowhere in the report will you see any mention of how much welfare dollars immigrants use, because they don't have that information. They basically pulled those percentages out of their butts. You can read about this so called, "Center for Immigration Studies (CIS)", here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center...ration_Studies

Here's what the Southern Poverty Law Center says about the founder of CIS:

FAIR, CIS and NumbersUSA are all part of a network of restrictionist organizations conceived and created by John Tanton, the “puppeteer” of the nativist movement and a man with deep racist roots. As the first article in this report shows, Tanton has for decades been at the heart of the white nationalist scene. He has met with leading white supremacists and associated closely with the leaders of a eugenicist foundation once described by a leading newspaper as a “neo-Nazi organization.” He has made a series of racist statements about Latinos and worried that they were outbreeding whites. At one point, he wrote candidly that to maintain American culture, “a European-American majority” is required.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:07 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,089,630 times
Quote:

And so what if some of our cousins or distant American relatives or fellow Americans receive welfare? That doesn't mean we need foreigners from every nation, culture and backwater coming here and receiving it too.
Misleading stats, it includes lunch assistance as welfare as well as Medicaid. Lunch assistance is literally given to everyone who identifies as lower middle class or under. So most immigrants who don't come with much money would be classified as lower middle class and receive "welfare". When I used to live in Northern Katy which is a middle class/ lower middle class area were house prices can range from around 180,000 to 500,000. I got free lunch, when both my parents got promoted in the space of 2 years and my dad got promoted again and we moved to the Southern part of Katy I got off free lunch back around 2010 or so. I know people who get free lunch right now and they can afford basically anything another average middle class kid can afford. Non of the people I know are on actual welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies