Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2017, 06:39 PM

73,218 posts, read 62,905,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I have only lived in one of those places you named and downtown seattle is an absolute dump. When we were setting up the branch in seattle we had to give out maps of the route to walk to work from hotels as to avoid the streets and parks with druggies and homeless, many of them with serious mental illnesses and aggressive in panhandling.

None of those cities you named or almost all of american cities would be truly first tier cities with amazing mass transit like so much of asia (Japan,Korea,Singapore,etc) Switzerland and Europe

If anything places like Portland and Seattle may probe some peoples point here, racial uniformity is worthless unless you have a disciplined and orderly culture, those two places are sewers of liberalism and "tolerance"

I would rather live as a minority in singapore, a city with great public services ( mass transit, low crime, great nightlife) than being white in seattle or portland or in most of americas cities
I used to live in the Seattle area. I've taken trips there. I'm looking at pics of downtown Seattle now. Either you went to some place near Rainier Valley or you're just trying to lie. Detroit is the worst of the worst of any American city. Seattle has a far lower crime rate than Detroit. Absolute dump? If you're trying to compare Seattle to Detroit, I've been to Seattle and they can't compare, so don't try it. I know people in Atlanta who would give it all up to move to Seattle.

And you can find panhandling, drugs, and stealing in any U.S. city. You can find it in Republican ran Oklahoma City. No American city doesn't have places you should avoid. Republican ran Tulsa has a homeless and panhandling problem. I live in the Atlanta area and the suburbs have issues with meth and heroin. I've walking around and found used needles in the woods. And there have been homeless people camping out in the woods in some suburban areas.

And for being such a "dump" Seattle is rated as being one of the cleanest. http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...eanest-cities/

And read this: https://www.seattle.gov/police/commu...or-safety-tips

Old 08-22-2017, 07:52 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,393,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I used to live in the Seattle area. I've taken trips there. I'm looking at pics of downtown Seattle now. Either you went to some place near Rainier Valley or you're just trying to lie. Detroit is the worst of the worst of any American city. Seattle has a far lower crime rate than Detroit. Absolute dump? If you're trying to compare Seattle to Detroit, I've been to Seattle and they can't compare, so don't try it. I know people in Atlanta who would give it all up to move to Seattle.

And you can find panhandling, drugs, and stealing in any U.S. city. You can find it in Republican ran Oklahoma City. No American city doesn't have places you should avoid. Republican ran Tulsa has a homeless and panhandling problem. I live in the Atlanta area and the suburbs have issues with meth and heroin. I've walking around and found used needles in the woods. And there have been homeless people camping out in the woods in some suburban areas.

And for being such a "dump" Seattle is rated as being one of the cleanest. Seattle’s No. 2 on Forbes list of cleanest cities | The Seattle Times

And read this: https://www.seattle.gov/police/commu...or-safety-tips
Yeah, I lived in Seattle for 40 years. When I arrived (from NY) I thought it was "quaint' and "quite small" and the economy sucked (this was 1973 - when the economy sucked pretty much everywhere - and pretty "dirty".

Over the years Seattle has grown and prospered with a tremendous amount of new construction (especially on the East Side suburbs - but downtown as well) and Seattle is now a terrific world-class city,
It is however, EXPENSIVE (and the weather still stinks - at least for most of the year).
On balance I'm happier in Arizona (where I've been now for the last 4.5 years).

Life is good!

Ken

Old 08-24-2017, 08:46 AM

73,218 posts, read 62,905,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, I lived in Seattle for 40 years. When I arrived (from NY) I thought it was "quaint' and "quite small" and the economy sucked (this was 1973 - when the economy sucked pretty much everywhere - and pretty "dirty".

Over the years Seattle has grown and prospered with a tremendous amount of new construction (especially on the East Side suburbs - but downtown as well) and Seattle is now a terrific world-class city,
It is however, EXPENSIVE (and the weather still stinks - at least for most of the year).
On balance I'm happier in Arizona (where I've been now for the last 4.5 years).

Life is good!

Ken
I lived in the Seattle area as a kid (up in Everett). I made a few trips to Seattle proper before eventually moving away. I haven't seen much that is bad about Seattle, compared to other major cities in the USA.

I've been following some of the things that have been taking place in Seattle. It has grown immensely. Seattle is the fast growing city in the USA. The city has to be doing something right. If Seattle was so dumpy, why do so many people seek to live there?

I do agree that Seattle is expensive. That is what is keeping me from moving there. If offered a job, I will go to Seattle. I won't move anywhere without a job lined up or some means of self sufficiency.

To anyone who thinks Seattle is a dump, what do you call the rest of the USA's major cities?

Old 08-24-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I lived in the Seattle area as a kid (up in Everett). I made a few trips to Seattle proper before eventually moving away. I haven't seen much that is bad about Seattle, compared to other major cities in the USA.

I've been following some of the things that have been taking place in Seattle. It has grown immensely. Seattle is the fast growing city in the USA. The city has to be doing something right. If Seattle was so dumpy, why do so many people seek to live there?

I do agree that Seattle is expensive. That is what is keeping me from moving there. If offered a job, I will go to Seattle. I won't move anywhere without a job lined up or some means of self sufficiency.

To anyone who thinks Seattle is a dump, what do you call the rest of the USA's major cities?
Yeah, Seattle has grown into one of the most successful cities in the nation - with a reliably strong economy and lots and lots of growth. All that growth does of course bring some issues with it - that's ALWAYS the case - but overall (if you can afford it - and deal with the weather) Seattle is a terrific place to live.

Ken

Old 11-03-2018, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 270 times
One dominant culture controls the minority cultures ,that's the way its always been or get taken over by a growing minority. Cultures are the same as countries if they get big.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:10 PM

20,954 posts, read 5,565,773 times
"And for being such a "dump" Seattle is rated as being one of the cleanest. http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/seattles-no-2-on-forbes-list-of-cleanest-cities/"

Your link is ten years old. Here's Seattle now:

https://www.libertynation.com/seattl...eces-sidewalk/

I left Seattle three years ago and never looked back. The neighborhood I lived in -- Fremont -- was clean and lovely at one point and is now full of those RV's that are the primary residences of drug dealers. Just another democrat-run s-hole.

Sorry, the quote function isn't working for this post. Hope it's clear. I was responding to post #261

Old 11-03-2018, 08:25 PM

21,427 posts, read 7,501,188 times
Has a Multi-cultural, Multi-ethnic, society ever succeeded, present or past?

Roman empire lasted from 509BC to 1452 AD,

Almost 2000 years, and when it was at it's best and strongest it was very multicultural. It absorbed people and ideas from all over the known world and thrived. The USA should be so lucky, we might not get 500 years despite our best efforts.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:32 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,728,480 times
Rome - like the most successful Empire of all time - succeeded as multi-ethnic.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
"And for being such a "dump" Seattle is rated as being one of the cleanest. http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/seattles-no-2-on-forbes-list-of-cleanest-cities/"

Your link is ten years old. Here's Seattle now:

https://www.libertynation.com/seattl...eces-sidewalk/

I left Seattle three years ago and never looked back. The neighborhood I lived in -- Fremont -- was clean and lovely at one point and is now full of those RV's that are the primary residences of drug dealers. Just another democrat-run s-hole.

Sorry, the quote function isn't working for this post. Hope it's clear. I was responding to post #261
Well, Seattle has dropped a bit on that Forbes list - but it still rates as one of the cleanest cities in the country (#10) as of their latest list (last year).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc...s-infographic/

I'd have to agree that that's fairly accurate.

Having spent most of my adult life in Seattle, I still consider it a FABULOUS city. Having said that, it's a BIG city nowadays and like all such large cities is crowded and expensive and the traffic is TERRIBLE.

Ken

Old 11-03-2018, 08:40 PM

20,954 posts, read 5,565,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Well, Seattle has dropped a bit on that Forbes list - but it still rates as one of the cleanest cities in the country (#10) as of their latest list (last year).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc...s-infographic/

I'd have to agree that that's fairly accurate.

Having spent most of my adult life in Seattle, I still consider it a FABULOUS city. Having said that, it's a BIG city nowadays and like all such large cities is crowded and expensive and the traffic is TERRIBLE. Can't say that I believe your story about the RVs in Freemont. Having lived in motor home here in AZ for 5 years as we prepared our property for a home, there's NO WAY such large vehicles could move around much in that traffic.

Ken

Photo: Fremont RV proclaims, 'Buy drugs here'

Ballard, next neighborhood over from Fremont.

https://www.seattlepi.com/seattlenew...fe-6843544.php
http://mynorthwest.com/gallery/homel...ps-in-ballard/
http://mynorthwest.com/1143600/seatt...ballard-ashes/

Last edited by vkhmini; 11-03-2018 at 08:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies