Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2018, 05:02 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,139,636 times

Advertisements

Small minds stay and bicker over petty differences. Greater minds transcend those differences..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH3c1QZzRK4

Old 11-05-2018, 05:07 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,399,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
We are all familiar with the phrase "diversity is our strength." I would like to know what the historical basis for that is. Sure, US has always been "multi-cultural" but all of those cultures came from the same race/geographic area and were always forced to assimilate into one culture. Where did the idea that a society made up roughly equally of fiver different races would be better than a county of only one race?

I'm not trying to stir the pot here, just trying to learn. Thanks!
Simply put, no. Such a society always breaks down among tribal lines and we are seeing that now in this country.

The best thing we can do is make sure we limit illegal immigration and construct our legal immigration system in a way which benefits the country and the citizens of the country. We need to do a much better job of making sure immigrants integrate fully in American society and become Americans with loyalties to America, not long-term foreigners.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:07 PM

63,268 posts, read 29,364,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Small minds stay and bicker over petty differences. Greater minds transcend those differences..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH3c1QZzRK4

Our cultural differences aren't petty differences. They are a wide divide in many ways.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Our cultural differences aren't petty differences. They are a wide divide in many ways.
Ignorance is the enemy, and every group of people is guilty of that. The cultural differences themselves aren't petty. The pettiness lies in the unwillingness to look past them.

That goes goes for every group of humans that ever existed. Only those that look past would help our species move forward.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post

I wonder what they would call a society/nation like that? Maybe the Great Melting Pot?

That's what we used to be. No more.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:24 PM

3,102 posts, read 1,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I think I already said 1955-1962. It's not just about the economy, but less division and cultural criticism, freedom, liberty, opportunity, harmony.

As far I'm concerned America was at its best when it was closest to being true to its origin 1780s till it was increasingly altered by foreign and enemy or just progressive influence entrenched by the 1960s. I'm a traditionalist not a critical theorist and seek to understand and accept the culture not attack and change it.
Did you live during 1955-1962? Because if you are saying there was less division during that period, Id say really? Not in my neck of the woods.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Ignorance is the enemy, and every group of people is guilty of that. The cultural differences themselves aren't petty. The pettiness lies in the unwillingness to look past them.

That goes goes for every group of humans that ever existed. Only those that look past would help our species move forward.

And just how do you do that when it's in your face 24/7? We have ears and eyes, you know. Maybe we should wear blinders and earplugs?

Old 11-05-2018, 05:30 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,123,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I think I already said 1955-1962. It's not just about the economy, but less division and cultural criticism, freedom, liberty, opportunity, harmony.

As far I'm concerned America was at its best when it was closest to being true to its origin 1780s till it was increasingly altered by foreign and enemy or just progressive influence entrenched by the 1960s. I'm a traditionalist not a critical theorist and seek to understand and accept the culture not attack and change it.
https://www.thebalance.com/us-gdp-by-year-3305543

As I suspected -- you picked a time period that was heavily influenced by other MAJOR factors that would make it difficult to identify diversity as being a significant influencing factor.

This link provides a year by year GDP information....just for background.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
And just how do you do that when it's in your face 24/7? We have ears and eyes, you know. Maybe we should wear blinders and earplugs?
And that's the pettiness speaking.

At my older job, I had different customers. many Armenian folks. What's significant about that is folks in my family would often trash them.
To this day I have yet to find a reason to dislike them. There's certain folks that give them a bad name that perpetuate the stereotypes. But I know that every group has people like that.

I've connected with people that barely spoke English. I go out and play pool and many people I mingle with come from different places. White/black/Armenian/European etc.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I feel like I'm in a much better state of mind then you because it seems like you LET it bother you.

And I take it that your probably alot older and grew up in an area that is vastly different. And I can understand that it sucks to see a place that your from change.

I'm witnessing that myself.

But it's hard to feel bad because I moved around my entire life and was never exposed to one type of person.

Things change, times change, we all live on a rock and it was inevitable that every corner of the world would end up converging.

There will come a time when we'd leave this rock and those that leave will not consist of one race. It won't matter anymore.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:48 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,954,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
We are all familiar with the phrase "diversity is our strength." I would like to know what the historical basis for that is. Sure, US has always been "multi-cultural" but all of those cultures came from the same race/geographic area and were always forced to assimilate into one culture. Where did the idea that a society made up roughly equally of fiver different races would be better than a county of only one race?

I'm not trying to stir the pot here, just trying to learn. Thanks!
Has any society every succeeded permanently? Everything has an expiration date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies