Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2017, 05:16 PM

5,904 posts, read 3,930,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think this statement probably applies to most of the regulars on this forum, including you and me, bud.

Which is precisely why I stated earlier that we should perhaps start by improving our educational system.
We're still a notch above Steve though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 05:19 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,474,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Awwhhhh.... need a safe forum.. LOL. Obama is the worst ever. Nothing he did ever helped our country prosper... Nothing. LOL. The worst, and he had a chance to overcome so many things and just made them worse.
The Dow disagrees with you. You might want to read some newspapers from 09 to 17, you might learn some stuff that shocks you

Old 09-02-2017, 05:28 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,248,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Work hard, educate yourself, you will have access to wonderful employer Health Insurance plans. You earned them by your pre employment willingness to invest in yourself.

Its not Rocket Science.
This was very true when I graduated college in 1977.
Not so for my children.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:33 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,243,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
There is a lot that can be done short of becoming a welfare state.

You're right in saying most people want to take care of themselves. The problem comes when they don't know how to get in a position where they can take care of themselves again after their old way left and took everything they know with it. It's hard to know what you don't know.

A middle-aged man who never graduated from high school because he could go get a pretty good job as soon as he was legal to work it isn't ever likely to work again when his job leaves town. But he won't starve, because the United States went beyond allowing our citizens to starve a long time ago.

But when a guy like that, who comes from a family who did the same things he did, and so did everyone he knows, gets cut loose just short of getting Social Security, and all the work he knows how to do is gone for good, how will he ever know how to make a complete re-start of his life?

He knows no one who can give him a clue. Everyone he knows is in the same boat he's in.

Where would you go to make a totally new start at age 50 if you had never been farther than the next state over in your life, and even then, only knew about a couple of towns there? If you didn't know a thing about office work, or any kind of work where they wear a white collar? What kind of work do those folks do? How did they learn how to do it?

Nobody is giving these people a road map with a clear direction to aim at. What they have now is all they have left, but at least the house is paid for. Can't sell it for more than a nickel on the dollar though, so they're stuck.

This guy I'm talking about and his town is already a welfare state.

Welfare money keeps the jobs still there, there. Welfare pays the cop's salaries. Welfare paid the sewer repairs. Welfare bought the new school books.

If they can't qualify, their family doctor, the guy who delivered their kids, will give him a disability exam that will qualify him for some early SSI. Because the doc needs to make a living too. Welfare pays him.

It isn't so simple as you make it out to be.

But this is a nation full of very smart people, and if we make this a priority, ways to break this human destruction can be found.

Right now, we are wasting and throwing away capable people like they are leftover fast food.
Thank you again... for giving people real life truths... no matter how much they fight it, its still truths in life and living.

((People who grandstand as if they are some beacon who did everything themselves are even foolish enough to believe such. They likely forgot all the people who helped them, even when they did not know they were being helped. Such types generally become conceited and antagonistic with no will to be of care or consideration for nor of others. Their desperation resides in their soul... and they are too blind to see it.))

Old 09-02-2017, 05:33 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,248,024 times
Quote:
The left think the education indoctrination system is working just fine.
No, the left champions a better educational system that benefits all.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I would, but mostly because I’m lazy and inept in the basic mechanics of daily life. I’d happily consume low-quality food in a cafeteria, live in dormitory-style housing, wear a threadbare uniform and take my walks in the communal courtyard. Then I’d not have to worry about perennial decline in real-estate prices, or what’s for dinner, or laundry.

The above has nothing to do with altruism, social-justice, or “helping the least fortunate”. I simply don’t wish to be bothered with the mechanics of life, and would rather focus instead on writing, philosophy and chess.

That’s an entirely fair question, and frankly, it boggles me. Why, other than retirees looking for a reduced-cost “ex-pat lifestyle”, aren’t droves of Americans immigrating to other countries, with better job-opportunities, more generous safety-nets, cheaper healthcare and a less frenetic work-culture? I ask this question without any facetiousness or guile.

But if freedom is indeed so hard, why is it necessarily so desirable? Is freedom a means to an end? If so, what’s that end? If freedom is an end in itself, well, what makes it so tantalizingly noble?

And at the risk of somewhat changing the topic, why are Americans so receptive to diminishing their freedoms for the purported benefit of greater physical security (from crime, terrorism, etc.) - while being so loath to exchange freedom for economic security?
"Freedom" is 100% about "Responsibility" and Responsibility always involves works of many sorts.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Still not my problem.

I oppose all war but if it comes to that I would conduct it with unremitting harshness and not this mamby pamby nonsense that is currently being conducted.
War is about a lot more than who can be the most brutish.... One might want to look at the causes of war and then consider the outcomes of what results, there is much in-between, which does not all happen by brutish battles.
Today... many nations have WMD's..... if it was about "total wipe out", that ultimately benefits no one.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,434,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
We're still a notch above Steve though.
Maybe - I don't know Steve so I can't really say.

I do try to always cite sources when I make an assertion or something that's a statement of fact.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:45 PM

4,808 posts, read 3,532,977 times
Love this thread, leans very well to the left. Delusional...

Old 09-02-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
The left think the education indoctrination system is working just fine.
Such a "broad assumption" does not serve well.... one might want to look at the various Right Wing Evangelical Educational Systems and the grooming they teach and try and force upon others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies