Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 07:54 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
They easily buy them from another state that has loose guns controls, perhaps through a friend.
It's already illegal for a felon to have a gun. They ignore that law (and all the others, too). Now what? Pass yet another law they won't abide by? Really? That's your suggestion?

IDIOTIC beyond belief!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 07:54 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,930,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That's nice in theory.

I try to be realistic. I am afraid. I'm afraid for myself, my children and the rest of our country that we have to fear these types of events no matter where we go - concerts, church, school, malls, movie etc.

Will I become a hermit? No. Will I always think about Holmes when I go to a movie? ISIS and now Paddock when I go to a concert? Lanza when I send my kids to school? Roof when I'm sitting in church and my pastor is delivering his sermon?

Yes. Yes I will. If you are able to not think of these things on the regular, I'm happy for you. I, on the other hand, try to learn from what happens to others. All of these shootings DO create collateral damage in the form of messing with your head, becoming more cautious etc. I don't think there is a way to put a stop to it.
He actually is being realistic. These things can happen anywhere. When you go to the grocery store or out to a department store shopping, or just taking a walk in the park, some whack-nut can just open fire on people and can kill or injure you. That's a fact of life. And you're right about not being able to put a stop to it. You can "try" your gun laws (which will never go away), but that's not going to prevent criminals from engaging in illegal activities. They've already decided to commit murder. I don't think they're going to have a heavy conscience about breaking the ban on guns law.

The only chance people have in this sad world is to arm themselves and learn how to use a gun. It's a sad fact of life that people are just freakin crazy (and they're not just going to stop being crazy. That is a nice wish that will never come true). But honestly, if just about everyone was walking around with some sort of weapon strapped to them, most of these morons are going to be shot down within a few seconds of taking their first shot. And then--slowly perhaps--they're going to start realizing it's not that great of an idea to do. It definitely won't be as thrilling, knocking out maybe one or two people, maybe just injuring them. It won't be such a fascination for copycat killers.

Sorry you may not like the facts, but there is no other way around this.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:56 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Okay, I'm glad I asked, because I would not think of 100 yards as being "very close."

Are they effective in, oh, say, a shooting that takes place in a small, enclosed area, like a house? Would they prevent a neighbor from hearing shots they might otherwise have noticed?
Yes and no. You can shoot .22 shorts out of a standard handgun and people would probably think it was a nail gun. If no windows are open and there was any outside traffic a suppressor theoretically could be used but at that range you could use a variety of weapons.

I really think Hollywood has made people think a suppressor makes a gun silent in reality they "can" under certain close up situations. No one is shooting a high powered semi auto with a can expecting it to be silent or even quiet.

8,312 posts, read 3,933,075 times
Quote:
The Las Vegas shooter had no criminal record. His ability to get 42 high powered firearms is what made him a criminal.
Right but all the logic in the world is not going to change the mind of a gun zealot. You are wasting your breath.

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Not sure but he doesn't come around anymore. If I knew his "real" name I could probably look it up. Tweekers give me the heebie jeebs.
"Come around!" You had felons illegally possessing firearms and drugs coming around?

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
anyone following this is aware of what has been suggested. I don't think we need to be reminded of that. The point I am making is: he didn't just do this for no reason. He didn't go to all the preparation just cause he decided he wanted to wipe 100s of people off the map. There is something behind it. I have no idea what, no do you. Hopefully the authorities will be able to get to the bottom of it. In the meanwhile what the heck do you mean stirring up distrust? Distrust in what? Of course people are going to speculate on what caused him to go off his rocker.
Of course he did it for a reason. I am just tired of all the premature accusations, and of seeing people attribute his actions to the "other side," whatever that may be, as if they actually KNOW.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:57 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
how did he carry all these guns and ammo up to his room?

by himself?
Yeah. It's really not that far fetched, rifles are like less than 10 pounds each. Just have some large pieces of luggage, stuff them in there, maybe 4 per suitcase, go to the parking lot with one of those luggage caddies and make about 4 or 5 trips. Who knows, he might have tipped the valet to bring it all in. It's Las Vegas, people bring in loads of luggage.
The ammo is portable - 1,000 round can fit in something slightly bigger than a shoe box, but it's heavy, real heavy. But once again you put it on the rolling caddy.

Why did he need all these guns in his room but it seems to be the ID of these maniac shooters is to dress in this GI Joe tactical gear (not sure what he was wearing) and bring all the guns you have available with you like it's world war III. It's part of the mass murder nutcase costume of choice, he probably had a bayonet strapped to his side. He only likely used two guns as it takes probably more time to change weapons than it does to reload.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:58 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
The man was a Leftist shooting supposed Trump voters. He planned this in advance. Yes he was nuts, but that isn't the only reason he did this. It's quite obvious.
Crazy.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:59 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
"Come around!" You had felons illegally possessing firearms and drugs coming around?
Public property, national forest in a deer camp. Same guys show up each year.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:59 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If gun control laws actually worked, the shootings/killings statistic in Chicago wouldn't exist.

Hint: CRIMINALS DON'T OBEY LAWS.
states and cities are NOT COMPARABLE!

how lax are the gun laws in Illinois? there's this thing called transportation, you know, cars, trains, etc. people are able to leave a city! they aren't stuck there, unable to get out. they can go to another city in their state, or the next state over and get guns. does this really have to be explained to you?

that's why a comparison of city to state is ILLOGICAL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies