Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 07:46 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
The part about the jeep got to you but not the part about that stolen Glock on his hip!!!
He didn't have a gun on him at the time but he was hunting earlier so..........

A felon can't have a firearm. Pretty simple LOGIC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 07:46 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
There is though, moving forward. Don't sell bullets that are made specifically for piercing kevlar.
That's another bit of misinformation - bullet proof vests.

Generally - bullet proof vests made for LEO are only designed to deflect handgun rounds. Rifle rounds are a whole new ball game, any rifle round except maybe the lowly .22 round (not sure) - Kevlar vests are useless. When the press talks about "ammo designed to pierce bullet proof vests" they simply don't know what they are talking about. They simply mean standard rifle rounds.
An exception to this is bullet proof vests made with plate inserts. The US military makes use of this but they are for the most part impractical for every day LEO usage.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:47 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Many people have donated blood and money to the victims of this horrific shooting. Does anyone know how much the NRA donated?

2,646 posts, read 1,847,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
you cannot prevent them, you take away guns, they'll use car bombs, etc....where there is a will there is a way....

quick fixes do not work....
Right, there could be a start, somewhere. For one, get some gun laws enforced; take away loopholes for gun "shows," turn in illegal guns for money. Teach children that it is not other people's fault that you are having a bad day or a bad life.

If your love life has went in to the toilet, it could be fate; move on. It may not even be our fault. Does not give you an excuse to kill and maim other people, because they may be happy, enjoying life, perhaps at a concert.

So many ifs and maybes; but there needs to be a start.

8,312 posts, read 3,933,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ok, explain Chicago with strong gun control laws? There really is not evidence gun control really is gun control. The use of guns will not stop no matter what is done. Bad people do bad things, one way or the other and nuts like this guy would have found a way to do what he did regardless.
"The use of guns will not stop no matter what is done." That's not true. Just look at Australia's approach if you want to see an example of how the use of guns could be greatly reduced. But the truth is that we don't WANT to reduce the use of guns. We love violence and vengeance here in the USA, we love the idea that each individual can have any weapon he/she chooses, regardless of the consequences. That is the reality; you have to learn to be open minded to the fact that many people don't want a solution to this problem. Because ultimately they do not view it as a problem.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:48 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
no you didn't. nowhere in the statistics I provided is Chicago mentioned.
If gun control laws actually worked, the shootings/killings statistic in Chicago wouldn't exist.

Hint: CRIMINALS DON'T OBEY LAWS.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:49 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,594,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Very close, probably less than 100 yards or you'll have an arc like a rainbow and VERY hard to hit anything, plus your energy will be very low. A high rate of fire isn't good for a suppressor either.
Okay, I'm glad I asked, because I would not think of 100 yards as being "very close."

Are they effective in, oh, say, a shooting that takes place in a small, enclosed area, like a house? Would they prevent a neighbor from hearing shots they might otherwise have noticed?

Old 10-03-2017, 07:50 AM

28,926 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We already have armed police/security at all those games and concerts. We have LE at EVERY single school here during the day.

Not saying it's 100% but people are asking for some solutions.
well, there you have me, that is a much better solution than taking away guns....
hey, I'm all for metal detectors at schools, and armed police/security, however, some say that would tramatise children....they wouldn't even realize their presence after 3 or 4 days, like everything else, you get used to it. Better than having multiple deaths.

and btw right after 911 happened, terrorists threatened getting our children....believe me, I do remember that.
So.....

You can take every precaution and it will cut down on incidents....but won't stop them completely.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:51 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,981,014 times
I sit here at work listening to co-workers babble about this horrible act done by an obviously sick man. All I hear is ANGER but not at the man himself ANGER for personal reasons..
"This is on Trump. That jerks fault. People who voted for his should rot in hell"
"Guns. This is Guns. Governments fault for not stopping it. No guns no shooting."

AND such anger behind these statements.

This folks is what is wrong with our country. IT seems we are all so ANGRY. All because personally we feel that our thoughts and opinions are the correct thoughts and opinions and any other way makes us ANGRY.

I will not be surprised if we find out this madman planned this for months because he was ANGRY about some political and/or religious belief he had that was not being implemented.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:51 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If gun control laws actually worked, the shootings/killings statistic in Chicago wouldn't exist.

Hint: CRIMINALS DON'T OBEY LAWS.
The Las Vegas shooter had no criminal record. His ability to get 42 high powered firearms is what made him a criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies