Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 03:06 PM

487 posts, read 545,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
She wasn't just a politician in the car, she is very close to the family.

Yes she should not have made the whole scene -- she was too close to the whole situation and reacted emotionally.

That's why we need adults running our country. So they can assess a situation like this and address it appropriately.

I don't doubt Trump didn't mean to be callous and cruel and uncaring. I don't doubt he put his foot in his mouth and didn't really do what he meant to do with the call.

A simple formal, terse, succint statement from The White House after would have been enough. Should have been enough.

Parading Kelly at the press briefing -- too much -- too defensive.

Of course -- that's my view. I'm a keep it simple gal and don't fan the flames.

It is true Trump is under high scrutiny -- all Presidents are. But he fans the flames with his tweets and pouts and bruised ego.

It's all too much. He has to let some things go.
I agree we can do without some of his tweets. However, how would you feel if you worked really hard at something and everything you did was scrutinized with a negative spin and torn to shreds. The media will never report things without a biased spin so he feels this is the only way the country will hear things without a spin. He is who he is and is not a polished politician, but I don't doubt he is trying to make things better and loves this country. He speaks what he feels.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:07 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
"it's what he signed up for"

another defining moment of the Dotard administration

might as well have said "that's what he gets"

what an imbecile
Like the rest of you dotards, you assume you know what he said. You don't. Nobody heard his entire phone call. All we're hearing from you Leftists is one short phrase, "it's what he signed up for," totally out of context.

I think General Kelly was closer to the truth of what he said.

But it's funny how you Democrats complain about Trump while politicizing everything for your own purpose, showing arrogance, with a large dose of superiority ...all the things you accuse Trump of. You think you're better than everyone else, don't you?

Old 10-20-2017, 04:03 PM

26,580 posts, read 14,458,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
lara trump claims that there is a transcript of the phone call and that she's read it:

Lara Trump Confirms Rep.’s Account Of POTUS’ Call, But Says It Lacked Context – Talking Points Memo
this opens up a whole new can of worms of how lara, who is not WH staff, was allowed to read something that hasn't been released to the public.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I think General Kelly was closer to the truth of what he said.
both kelly and lara trump's account of the phone call support wilson's claim ( they just argue that it was appropriate in context ) not trump's.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:15 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Perhaps he should have stayed silent.
Why? What he said is true and a tribute to every soldier. They all know what they are signing up for.

Perhaps you should remain silent.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
even kelly had originally suggested that trump not directly call the families.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:41 PM

276 posts, read 178,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Why? What he said is true and a tribute to every soldier. They all know what they are signing up for.

This. They know how dangerous the duty is and that's one of the reasons they do it. Thank God we have people like them in this country. I've seen videos where high up officers address the troops this way when someone died. "Did he know that he could die in the Army before he joined? Did you know that you could die when you joined? Okay then!" I think this is being blown way out of proportion and it's a littly silly that after a week it's still what's being talked about.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:42 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
even kelly had originally suggested that trump not directly call the families.
If he didn't call, some of the people would accuse him of being uncaring. No matter what Trump does, he is a sick man.

Gen Kelly said, It was not wrong that President Obama did not call. (It is not a criticism) President Bush did not call either, especially when Battlefield casualties were high.

He also said, Trump was brave for making these phone calls.

I don't think there is a right way or a wrong way to comfort a grieving person when the emotion is just too raw because nothing you say is going to help anyway.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:09 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
both kelly and lara trump's account of the phone call support wilson's claim ( they just argue that it was appropriate in context ) not trump's.
The fact of the matter is, Trump was calling the man a hero for his selfless service to his country, even while knowing the risks. He signed up to serve, even if it meant giving his life.

That's all that matters here.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:46 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,848,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The fact of the matter is, Trump was calling the man a hero for his selfless service to his country, even while knowing the risks. He signed up to serve, even if it meant giving his life.

That's all that matters here.
It not all that matters when the President is lying and his chief of staff is spreading fake news. All of which was a unforced error by the Trump administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies