Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 10:35 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
You think calling him Sgt Johnson to his widow is compassionate?

I think its overly formal and distant.

At the same time I realize we could quiz 10 people and get 10 different answers.

Personally, I would rather hear your husband or even Trumps version...your guy.

Bottom line, there is no right answer since we no longer live in a world were people value rules of manners and etiquette which would dictate the form of address. That being said, the only social contract we live with is the intent of the person who is sending the message.
Which is why these calls are a poor idea for Trump.

He is not a warm, compassionate guy. Even his wife seems to barely tolerate him.

A letter followed by a luncheon invitation might be a better way to go.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:43 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,447,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
i'm actually curious if there is military protocol for how to refer to a fallen soldier in such calls/letters.
I don't know. But, in any case I would think what you put in a letter might be different from what you say in person.

A letter imo would be more formal. An in person covno would be less formal especially in this day and age.

Formality in a conversation today would seem distant and less compassionate imo.

This is the problem when you do away with manners/etiquette lol.

They did after all serve a purpose.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:48 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,475,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Women who know and have worked for Mr. Trump for many, many years. That's who, and I believe i said that in my post.

Those are lies and you know it. Every one has been discredited. They were opportunists. Women who know Trump personally have said he is a gentleman around women. If you want to know who the man is, look at his children. That tells you everything you need to know.

"Locker room talk" is braggadocio. Are you going to tell us you are some kind of Saint? Never uttered a dirty word? When around other men (guys ...or aren't you a guy?). You probably wouldn't have wanted to be around me and my shipmates when I was in the Navy. You would have heard words that (apparently) you've never heard before. And, by the way, I've had women tell me they've heard worse when alone around women. So, you can take your halo off, because I suspect your not as innocent as you seem to want us to believe. Besides, bragging is one thing. Actions are another. Donald Trump is no Bill Clinton. I'll bet you NEVER spoke a word against that creep! And his wife mocked his victims!

Where did you hear all that garbage from, Rachel Madcow? Morning Joke? Anderson Cooper (pooper) and his mistress, Mika (the home wrecker).

And again ...what about Bill Clinton? Has sex with an intern right in the White House. What a scum bag! Then there was Ted Kennedy! He had presidential aspirations once. He was a predator too.

I don't think you have any business criticizing Trump for anything, when you support people like Clinton, Obama and the Democrats, some of whom are total sleaze bags. Anthony Weiner? I don't care if you don't like his policies, but your ad hominem attacks are misplaced. Look in the mirror.
^ LOL. Seriously?!

Old 10-20-2017, 10:51 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,475,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
If he didn't call, some of the people would accuse him of being uncaring. No matter what Trump does, he is a sick man.

Gen Kelly said, It was not wrong that President Obama did not call. (It is not a criticism) President Bush did not call either, especially when Battlefield casualties were high.

He also said, Trump was brave for making these phone calls.

I don't think there is a right way or a wrong way to comfort a grieving person when the emotion is just too raw because nothing you say is going to help anyway.
Please! He only called when he was asked why he hadn’t already! His lies about that started all the hoopla.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

He is not a warm, compassionate guy. Even his wife seems to barely tolerate him.

You have no idea what the relationship is between Trump and his wife. That's a fact lol.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:

Not to mention none of this addresses what I said.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:06 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Please! He only called when he was asked why he hadn’t already! His lies about that started all the hoopla.
You sound mad.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:26 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Not to mention none of this addresses what I said.
You appear to be having problems following this, so I'll give it another go.

Quote:
You think calling him Sgt Johnson to his widow is compassionate?

I think its overly formal and distant.

At the same time I realize we could quiz 10 people and get 10 different answers.

Personally, I would rather hear your husband or even Trumps version...your guy.

Bottom line, there is no right answer since we no longer live in a world were people value rules of manners and etiquette which would dictate the form of address. That being said, the only social contract we live with is the intent of the person who is sending the message.
Exactly, there is no right answer.

A widow in the initial stages of raw grief may resent being used by Trump in a political ploy regardless of what he called her husband.

Others may welcome a phone call from Trump referring to how, "Your guy knew what he was doing when he signed up but I imagine it still hurts." Can't imagine who, but perhaps there are those who would find comfort in these words.

I ignored the nonsense about no longer living in a world where people value rules of manners and etiquette and social contracts being the intent of the person sending the message as that is merely BS.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
You appear to be having problems following this, so I'll give it another go.

Exactly, there is no right answer.

A widow in the initial stages of raw grief may resent being used by Trump in a political ploy regardless of what he called her husband.

Others may welcome a phone call from Trump referring to how, "Your guy knew what he was doing when he signed up but I imagine it still hurts." Can't imagine who, but perhaps there are those who would find comfort in these words.

I ignored your business about social contracts being the intent of the person sending the message as that is merely BS.
I have no idea what all this BS you posted means. You are really slipping.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:44 PM

23,648 posts, read 12,569,566 times
Quote:
I don't know. But, in any case I would think what you put in a letter might be different from what you say in person.

A letter imo would be more formal. An in person covno would be less formal especially in this day and age.

Formality in a conversation today would seem distant and less compassionate imo.

This is the problem when you do away with manners/etiquette lol.

They did after all serve a purpose.
Yes, manners and etiquette have fallen to the wayside over the past few decades.

These days you're darned if you do and darned if you don't. I don't remember if it was in this forum or elsewhere, where I'd read that a woman was irate because a past president had never called her and sent a letter instead, she went on to say that 'he probably wasn't the one to type it up, to put it into the envelope and seal it up, it didn't even look like he'd signed it, that it appeared they had used a stamp to print his signature' ... I'm sure a president isn't the one to type those letters up and put them into an envelope, but I find it hard to believe that a president would not personally sign the letter.

They should just do away with personal phone calls, period. They should have one of their writers create a letter template and the families should just get a letter that is based off of that approved template (the only changes would be names and locations). Each and every letter is signed personally by the president, but the presidents staff would be the ones to type up the letters. It would be less personal that way but everyone would be treated the same (some do complain that others receive calls while all they got was a letter), and, there wouldn't be the chance of someone, like that congresswoman, trying to score political points from it (and begin thinking that they are a "rock star" because of it). They should have begun that practice decades ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies