Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 08:05 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I just thought it would be helpful to recognize all 4 of the fallen.

I also miss my own friends who lost their lives in battlefield.

Their families and I all share Gen Kelly's grief. We found great comfort in his words.

There is nothing you can say to a grieving person because when your loved one died, there is no second best. It is unfortunate the family did not find comfort in Trump's words, but Trump reached out to them and I believe he was sincere.

Trump elected to make the phone call to the families of the four soldiers killed in the Niger ambush. “He called four people … and expressed condolences in the best way he could,” Kelly insisted.

Before the calls, Trump sought his advice on the wording, and Kelly said he responded: “Let me tell you what my best friends told me: He was doing exactly what he wanted to do when he was killed. He knew what he was getting into by joining that 1%. He knew what the possibilities were, because we’re at war. And, when he died, he was surrounded by the best men on Earth, his friends.

“That’s what the President tried to say to four families the other day.”

It is pretty disgusting some here claim gen Kelly lost his honor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 08:07 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Good grief you people can find anything to complain about
Maybe Trump really is an effective leader, he certainly leads in being a whining, complaining snowflake.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:13 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Said in another thread and I will repeat.

Truth -- Kelly said that no call would have the words to console -- truth - so maybe Trump shouldn't have called.

Kelly is a soldier -- he's not a civilian. He wasn't the spouse who is expecting a child. It's a different truth then. A soldier consoling another soldier shouldn't use the same words, thoughts, sympathies as a stranger (the President) consoling a wife of a fallen soldier. All Trump had to say was we are deeply appreciative of your husbvand's (yes using his name) service and we know no words can console you. Your husband (say the name again) was a true American hero and your family are heros too for your sacrifice. God Bless you. End.....that's it.
They had as much time if not more to prepare that statement as I did. It's not hard. Also -- I have to say -- it should have been planned better. I don't think the day your picking up the body at the airport was a good time. Yes -- no time is a good time -- but that's REALLy not a good time.. So many missteps here. Intentions were well meaning but some big social gaffes.

Kelly was sincere but the fact that these guys don't realize there is a difference between offering sympathies to a civilian and what maybe Kelly would have had comfort hearing indicates how out of touch they can be.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:18 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
[quote=Captain Covfefe;49874821]Not everyone is an easily-to-manipulate braindead Trump supporter. Stop projecting.

David Johnson's mother was in the car and she corroborated the congresswoman's account. She's a bit older than 24.[/QUOTE

I'm not projecting.

The mother corroborated about half a sentence out of context which is meaningless unless you know what came before and after. She may be older, but she could have been incited by the Congresswoman as well.

In any case, it was wrong for the Congresswoman to turn this family's private moment into a national conversation. If the family was truly offended, she could have used her position to reach out to the White House or Army to remedy things somehow.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:19 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Said in another thread and I will repeat.

Truth -- Kelly said that no call would have the words to console -- truth - so maybe Trump shouldn't have called.

Kelly is a soldier -- he's not a civilian. He wasn't the spouse who is expecting a child. It's a different truth then. A soldier consoling another soldier shouldn't use the same words, thoughts, sympathies as a stranger (the President) consoling a wife of a fallen soldier. All Trump had to say was we are deeply appreciative of your husbvand's (yes using his name) service and we know no words can console you. Your husband (say the name again) was a true American hero and your family are heros too for your sacrifice. God Bless you. End.....that's it.
They had as much time if not more to prepare that statement as I did. It's not hard. Also -- I have to say -- it should have been planned better. I don't think the day your picking up the body at the airport was a good time. Yes -- no time is a good time -- but that's REALLy not a good time.. So many missteps here. Intentions were well meaning but some big social gaffes.

Kelly was sincere but the fact that these guys don't realize there is a difference between offering sympathies to a civilian and what maybe Kelly would have had comfort hearing indicates how out of touch they can be.
You are not a grief counselor either, even a grief counselor couldn't get it right 100% of the time.

Kelly is not a soldier, he was a Marine. (but whatever) It doesn't matter you are a soldier or a civilian, some people WOULD find his words extremely comforting (like me and others), some won't. And it is OKAY. I can tell you from my personal experience, I hated hearing “all the clichés: 'Time heals all wounds,' "I am sorry for your loss." But I kept it to myself because I know they meant well. When your entire world turned upside down, you wanted to hold on to something in order to just move to the next breathing moment. That TO ME, is grief feels like. I can only speak for myself, and I don't speak for anybody else. What comforts me the most (and what comforts my best friend's mother the most) is exactly this, "He died doing something he loved to do." (neither of us is a professional soldier. we are just two civilians) We really just wanted to know three things, 1. he did not suffer much 2. he didn't "go" alone 3. He had no regrets.

Nothing else (and I DO MEAN NOTHING) really matters.

The ONLY truth is everybody grieves differently, NO ONE is an expert in term of comforting a grieving person.
So in situation like this, LESS is MORE.

The very bottom line is "intention". Look, you don't have to like Donald Trump, but in this case, I do believe he was sincere.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-20-2017 at 08:28 AM..

Old 10-20-2017, 08:19 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,150,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Trump ordered Kelly to walk the plank and he did. That's all there is to this. We should lay off of Kelly. He is about all that is between us and governmental chaos and even nuclear war.
If Kelly had stopped at just explaining the process of retrieving our fallen and bringing them home and his coaching of Trump on what to say to grieving families then I would have been fine with what he said.

However, going after the Congresswoman(who was asked to be there by the family) was over the top, and as it now turns out he did not accurately portray the congresswoman's actions pertaining to the ceremony they both attended.

As far as I am concerned no one who is drawing a government paycheck is immune from criticism and Kelly is a tough enough guy to handle a little criticism.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:22 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Jelly should stick a quarter in his anus because he really played himself on this one.

That was the worst display of fake outrage that I’ve ever seen.
Really?

Did you hear the part about needing to walk among the dead for an hour and a half to clear his thoughts? Or do you think he made that up?

Old 10-20-2017, 08:23 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
[quote=Blondy;49876925]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Covfefe View Post
Not everyone is an easily-to-manipulate braindead Trump supporter. Stop projecting.

David Johnson's mother was in the car and she corroborated the congresswoman's account. She's a bit older than 24.[/QUOTE

I'm not projecting.

The mother corroborated about half a sentence out of context which is meaningless unless you know what came before and after. She may be older, but she could have been incited by the Congresswoman as well.

In any case, it was wrong for the Congresswoman to turn this family's private moment into a national conversation. If the family was truly offended, she could have used her position to reach out to the White House or Army to remedy things somehow.
Yes as this continues to be blown up I agree with your last paragraph. The Congress woman needed to let some time pass. That day was not the right time to emotionally address what she thought was a huge mistake. She made a mistake......and then when we needed the adults to step in and control it, Trump tweeted out. Wrong thing to do. White House should have issued terse, simply message and not blown it up again.

I get that folks are tired of Trump being attacked -- but he took the job. That's going to happen. We blamed Obama for everything for 8 years. We blamed Bush..

Trump makes it easy by putting himself out there all the time saying outrageous things. There's a price for that kind of behavior and he pays it. Many love his foot in the mouth way of doing things, but you know -- it has consequences.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:24 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,098,111 times
Default MSNBC darlings Lawrence O'Donnell and Joy Reid attack John Kelly for being "complicit", "attacking" Frederica Wilson

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6_p7h...hBDVx7dKUlLWPw

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2017/...ion-detectors/

Will Lawrence O'Donnell and Joy Reid be called out by the Dems for attacking a Gold Star father?

Old 10-20-2017, 08:27 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6_p7h...hBDVx7dKUlLWPw

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2017/...ion-detectors/

Will Lawrence O'Donnell and Joy Reid be called out by the Dems for attacking a Gold Star father?
Probably not, but they are irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies