Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 08:40 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times

Advertisements

Has Trump called the family of every soldier. So Obama didn't call every family -- he did make some calls.

I don't think Trump has called every soldier's family......?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 08:45 AM

10,535 posts, read 6,171,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Libs have now fallen into Trump's newest trap . Attacking a Gold star general in order to attack Trump

Excellent

Explain to me how Trump set up this 'newest trap'.

Then explain to me what his other 'traps' were.

I'm genuinely interested to hear about Trump's 'games' and how running the administration in perpetual chaos instead of actually governing, is a great way to run the country?

Really I'm all ears.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:45 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
President Obama was NOT wrong for not making the phone calls. This doesn't mean he didn't care or was uncaring.

President Trump was NOT wrong for reaching out. This doesn't mean that everybody would find comforts in his words.

The only thing matters is how others react. Unfortunately, when your loved one died, there is no second best. As long as you did the best you could, then don't worry about it.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:47 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
You are not a grief counselor either, even a grief counselor couldn't get it right 100% of the time.

Kelly is not a soldier, he was a Marine. (but whatever) It doesn't matter you are a soldier or a civilian, some people WOULD find his words extremely comforting (like me and others), some won't. And it is OKAY. I can tell you from my personal experience, I hated hearing “all the clichés: 'Time heals all wounds,' "I am sorry for your loss." But I kept it to myself because I know they meant well. When your entire world turned upside down, you wanted to hold on to something in order to just move to the next breathing moment. That TO ME, is grief feels like. I can only speak for myself, and I don't speak for anybody else. What comforts me the most (and what comforts my best friend's mother the most) is exactly this, "He died doing something he loved to do." (neither of us is a professional soldier. we are just two civilians) We really just wanted to know three things, 1. he did not suffer much 2. he didn't "go" alone 3. He had no regrets.

Nothing else (and I DO MEAN NOTHING) really matters.

The ONLY truth is everybody grieves differently, NO ONE is an expert in term of comforting a grieving person.
So in situation like this, LESS is MORE.

The very bottom line is "intention". Look, you don't have to like Donald Trump, but in this case, I do believe he was sincere.
But that's why you keep it simple and non-specifc. Our deepest sympathies on your loss...he was a hero and you are heros.....God Bless...done.

That's it. Keep it simple.

For the record, I lost a child.....I've been there when people saying well meaning things. And I learned well to keep it simple with offering my sympathy, to listen, a hug....but no more.

I don't think it is that complicated.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But that's why you keep it simple and non-specifc. Our deepest sympathies on your loss...he was a hero and you are heros.....God Bless...done.

That's it. Keep it simple.

For the record, I lost a child.....I've been there when people saying well meaning things. And I learned well to keep it simple with offering my sympathy, to listen, a hug....but no more.

I don't think it is that complicated.
well, maybe keep it simple works for you, all I am saying is that Gen Kelly wasn't wrong, either. Different people find comforts in different words because we are all different in our grief and personal struggle.

Maybe you all should move on, just accept the fact that Kelly and Trump meant well.

Plus, traumatic grief is not the same as a "normal" (for lack of a better word) grief. When my 25 year old best friend died in combat, I didn't sleep for 3 days and all I did was crying. I don't think I have ever experienced a pain like that. When my grandpa died, I thought my life was over; (but I didn't cry much because I kind of expected his death. I just felt numb) when my boyfriend committed suicide, I blamed myself. All three grief are different. I found comfort in different things.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:02 AM

10,535 posts, read 6,171,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, maybe keep it simple works for you, all I am saying is that Gen Kelly wasn't wrong, either. Different people find comforts in different words because we are all different in our grief and personal struggle.

Maybe you all should move on, just accept the fact that Kelly and Trump meant well.

lilyflower and moneill I think you are both right. Can't rep either of you unfortunately.

I do think both Kelly and Trump meant well. I don't think even Trump deliberately meant upset in this particular case.

The problem is that Trump just doesn't have the aptitude for doing this sort of thing. He's proven time and time again that he just doesn't have the emotional intelligence to handle these situations without saying something inappropriate or saying something in a blundering way.
He should never be allowed to make these sorts of phone calls in future. Now these phone calls are always going to carry with them the baggage of this incident with them. People who have just lost someone don't need this sort of distraction. They should assign the task to someone else.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:02 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,752 times
The Congresswoman told the truth, which ironically is substantiated by Kelly's comments. There was no need to address her - deal with the fact that Trump is a liar.

Quote:
The Congresswoman started it. She also is acting like she is a rock star now

Old 10-20-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
lilyflower and moneill I think you are both right. Can't rep either of you unfortunately.

I do think both Kelly and Trump meant well. I don't think even Trump deliberately meant upset in this particular case.

The problem is that Trump just doesn't have the aptitude for doing this sort of thing. He's proven time and time again that he just doesn't have the emotional intelligence to handle these situations without saying something inappropriate or saying something in a blundering way.
He should never be allowed to make these sorts of phone calls in future. Now these phone calls are always going to carry with them the baggage of this incident with them. People who have just lost someone don't need this sort of distraction. They should assign the task to someone else.
I can accept that and do agree with you.

President Trump isn’t a simpleton, he just talks like one. If you were to market Donald Trump’s vocabulary as a toy, it would resemble a small box of Lincoln Logs.

No matter what others say, I believe president Trump meant well. IN THIS CASE, he was trying to do the right thing.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:06 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
The Congresswoman started it. She also is acting like she is a rock star now
Read Jonah Goldberg's latest column. He talks abut star treatment for politicians.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:08 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,103,684 times
Default Frederica Wilson: John Kelly remarks were racist

https://mobile.twitter.com/NewDay/st...7%2Fframe.html

Lol the Dems keep sinking into Trumps newest trap. Attacking a Gold Star father
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies