Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 11:30 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Eyyyy' I wasn't the only one who thought it was reckless to give a multi hundred million dollar project to a 2 year old start up that had not handled anything remotely of the same scale! Who woulda' guessed!
Is Whitefish not doing the work they contracted for. I have not read anything saying they did not have the people or equipment or were not doing the job.
The contract was being canceled due to public opinion based on speculation of contract awards.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:34 AM

46,309 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Eyyyy' I wasn't the only one who thought it was reckless to give a multi hundred million dollar project to a 2 year old start up that had not handled anything remotely of the same scale! Who woulda' guessed!

Any proof they have done nothing to this scale?

The one guy had 22+ years experience...what are his qualifications..do tell...

Old 10-31-2017, 11:38 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,968 times
Puerto Rico has been there for a long long time. Trump has nothing at all to do with their situation. Any help we give PR must be tied with controls preventing corruption.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:43 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Is Whitefish not doing the work they contracted for. I have not read anything saying they did not have the people or equipment or were not doing the job.
The contract was being canceled due to public opinion based on speculation of contract awards.

"The project is enormous, and Whitefish is a two-year-old firm that until recently had just two full-time employees."

"Whitefish then subcontracted with utilities including Jacksonville Electric Authority and Kissimmee Utility Authority to help it with transmission system restoration — the same thing a mutual aid agreement might have arranged at a lower cost. It's unusual for electrical utilities to work under a contractor."

"For subcontractors, the bulk of Whitefish's workforce, the prices go even higher. A general foreman costs $336 an hour and a lineman, $319."

"The per diems are also expensive: almost $80 a day for meals, and $332 a day for lodging. Employee flights are billed at $1,000 each way."

There is some unusual language in the contract regarding what can and cannot be audited. Also, FEMA disputes the language indicating it had FEMA approval.

"Any language in any contract between PREPA and Whitefish that states FEMA approved that contract is inaccurate," the agency said in a statement.

Here's What's In That $300 Million Whitefish Contract : The Two-Way : NPR

So yes, Whitefish, being a company of just two full-time employees did not have the personnel or equipment to handle the job of restoring power to Puerto Rico.

So they subcontracted work out and charged a boatload for it.

The whole thing sounds fishy.

I'm surprised you couldn't find this information. It popped right up for me.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:43 AM

WOW...you're really bad...

I know reading comprehension sucks for people like you, but if you'll go back and read and THEN comprehend what I was responding to, you would understand that what you have posted is useless for what I requested.

You think you were trying to be smart...but yet again, you have failed...care to try again?

Or, maybe prove me wrong...show me in the links YOU provided where Whitefish GOT the contract via linkedin....<<< I put this in BOLD, to emphasize to make it easier on you.....lets see if it works...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Have I got a good news for you. You are going to be so amazed at this.

All I did was go to Google.com and typed in "Whitefish contract LinkedIn" and up popped all sorts of links.

It's true. Here's the first one.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/pu...h-hunt-n815356

Here's another one.

"But questions about precisely how the contract was procured, and whether the company has any ties to another Whitefish native, Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, are now the subject of multiple investigations, including two by Congress and another by the Federal Emergency Management Administration."

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/27/whit...erto-rico.html

I realize it must be embarrassing to be so limited in this age of technology.

But don't worry. We're here to help.

You did not help...you failed....miserably....

Old 10-31-2017, 11:44 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Elon Musk. Bwahahahahahahahahaha. WTF is he going to do? BTW, you OBVIOUSLY didn't read what the PR governor said. He said there is no corruption to be found, it was canceled over public opinion. Let them sit in the dark. hahahaha
And the article I read said they have no other companies in mind to take over for the one who they fired. The small company, which I know nothing about, is already there working, and has hired 500 employees. It seems that PR is shooting itself in the foot.......not the first, apparently.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
"The project is enormous, and Whitefish is a two-year-old firm that until recently had just two full-time employees."

"Whitefish then subcontracted with utilities including Jacksonville Electric Authority and Kissimmee Utility Authority to help it with transmission system restoration — the same thing a mutual aid agreement might have arranged at a lower cost. It's unusual for electrical utilities to work under a contractor."

"For subcontractors, the bulk of Whitefish's workforce, the prices go even higher. A general foreman costs $336 an hour and a lineman, $319."

"The per diems are also expensive: almost $80 a day for meals, and $332 a day for lodging. Employee flights are billed at $1,000 each way."

There is some unusual language in the contract regarding what can and cannot be audited. Also, FEMA disputes the language indicating it had FEMA approval.

"Any language in any contract between PREPA and Whitefish that states FEMA approved that contract is inaccurate," the agency said in a statement.

Here's What's In That $300 Million Whitefish Contract : The Two-Way : NPR

So yes, Whitefish, being a company of just two full-time employees did not have the personnel or equipment to handle the job of restoring power to Puerto Rico.

So they subcontracted work out and charged a boatload for it.

The whole thing sounds fishy.

I'm surprised you couldn't find this information. It popped right up for me.

So, they are getting the job done...glad you learned how to use google...

Old 10-31-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Have I got a good news for you. You are going to be so amazed at this.

All I did was go to Google.com and typed in "Whitefish contract LinkedIn" and up popped all sorts of links.

It's true. Here's the first one.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/pu...h-hunt-n815356

Here's another one.

"But questions about precisely how the contract was procured, and whether the company has any ties to another Whitefish native, Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, are now the subject of multiple investigations, including two by Congress and another by the Federal Emergency Management Administration."

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/27/whit...erto-rico.html

I realize it must be embarrassing to be so limited in this age of technology.

But don't worry. We're here to help.

And from your first link:

Quote:
On Saturday, officials with PREPA did not comment and said Ramos was not immediately available. But on Thursday, Ramos said at a news conference that if he had to approve the contract again, he would – and that there had not been anything illegal or out of order.

Bless your heart.....

Old 10-31-2017, 12:06 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,957 times
Can show anyone show me where mutual aid utilities offered to help or bid on contracts but were turned down.

I listed to the NPR Up First podcast and the reporter clearly said that Whitefish was the only one willing to do the work and take money later. All other utilities wanted to get part of the money up front and the PREPA did nto have that kind of money to hand out. many were afraid that PREPA would be unable to pay for the work and hence did not even bid on the effort.

Now that Whitefish is out let us see who will be willing to work and for how much. PR is in a pickle.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:42 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Can show anyone show me where mutual aid utilities offered to help or bid on contracts but were turned down.

I listed to the NPR Up First podcast and the reporter clearly said that Whitefish was the only one willing to do the work and take money later. All other utilities wanted to get part of the money up front and the PREPA did nto have that kind of money to hand out. many were afraid that PREPA would be unable to pay for the work and hence did not even bid on the effort.

Now that Whitefish is out let us see who will be willing to work and for how much. PR is in a pickle.
Read the links I posted on page 1, Post #3 - and page 4, post #31 & 35.

Two issues...

Ramos was gong to call for mutual aid before Maria hit - then they lost total communication. Others in the procurement office took Whitefish's offer.

The other issue was that PREPA was going to have to come out of its pocket to help... it's called mutual aid for a reason. PREPA doesn't have a lot of cash on hand. Whitefish offered to perform their service without a down payment.

Also - there was concern by larger utilities on how PREPA was going to pay for their services since they declared bankruptcy 3 months before the storms hit. Whitefish chose to take a chance on them and do the job.

All of these details are in the links I posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies