Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 02:37 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I hope Whitefish gets what it is due for services rendered thus far plus a huge settlement on top of that. Puerto Rico deciding they don't want a perceived public relations issue rather than allowing the company to do their contracted job should be costly. Just the mobilization costs for a project of this magnitude and location will be exorbitant and I don't think that anyone here would begrudge them compensation correct?
They've been paid by Puerto Rico Electric. About $8 million. Which is unlikely to be reimbursed by FEMA, since FEMA wasn't given the opportunity to review this contract and did not approve it. Puerto Rico Electric is still in the midst of their bankruptcy, aren't they, so if Whitefish does decide to sue, they may not get anything.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:44 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
They've been paid by Puerto Rico Electric. About $8 million. Which is unlikely to be reimbursed by FEMA, since FEMA wasn't given the opportunity to review this contract and did not approve it. Puerto Rico Electric is still in the midst of their bankruptcy, aren't they, so if Whitefish does decide to sue, they may not get anything.
So are you saying they are not due what is owed thus far plus some? I did not say anything about suing because you can get a settlement without a lawsuit. Or should they just eat the costs because PR decides they don't want a perceived public relations issue? How do you know how much it has cost thus far? Will the "reported" 8 mil cover it?

Old 10-30-2017, 02:55 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Why are we still colonizing the country of Puerto Rico? The Spanish-American War was over 100 years ago. Give these people their independence back!

For pretty much the same reasons Cuban Embargo is still largely in place; taking control of a country and or its assets is one thing; giving them back is another.

All heck would break loose politically if PR were free to choose and China, Russia or some other nation moved into that market just several hundred miles off US shores.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
So are you saying they are not due what is owed thus far plus some? I did not say anything about suing because you can get a settlement without a lawsuit. Or should they just eat the costs because PR decides they don't want a perceived public relations issue? How do you know how much it has cost thus far? Will the "reported" 8 mil cover it?
I'm saying they've already been paid $8 million dollars.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I'm saying they've already been paid $8 million dollars.
And I said they are due what is owed plus.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:12 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:
What's your point?

I was responding to a post that suggested that these contractors might not get paid. Whitefish has received money.

And there are two issues with that. First, there are the exorbitant amounts Whitefish was charging per man-hour. $240 per man-hour was their bottom figure, almost $500 per man-hour for supervisors. ON TOP of the $400 per diem to pay for meals and housing.

Second, Puerto Rico Electric said they couldn't afford the mutual-aid agreements that are standard operating procedure after cataclysmic events like hurricanes, but they could afford to pay Whitefish $8 million dollars?
My point is that the payments may be staggered depending on the work completed. They have been working for about a month. PREPA doesn't have a bunch of cash on hand for big bulk payments. Who knows the terms of payment?

Why wouldn't Whitefish pay their contractors?

My theory about the high rates is that they are compensating in giving them a break on no down payment... just like what's normally done to consumers. If you are a risk, you get a higher interest rate. By the way - what are the hotel and lodging costs over there? Probably pretty high right now if you want a room with full power and water. At the end of the day, PREPA agreed to the deal.

Do you know how much they would have to pay in the mutual aid agreement? Maybe they can handle $8 million - which is 2.6% of the contract. But they can't handle a one time 10% down payment of $30 million. You or I don't have detailed financial info about PREPA other than what has been done.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
And I said they are due what is owed plus.
Okay. They signed the contract on October 2. Let's say they had 300 guys on the ground for an average of 20 days. The guys worked an average 10-hour day. At $300 per hour, that's $1.8 million dollars. Then the per diem charges for 300 guys for 20 days at $400 per day to cover food and lodging is another $2.4 million dollars. That leaves $3.8 million dollars to cover rental/shipment charges for equipment and supplies. I suspect they got paid what they were due.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Okay. They signed the contract on October 2. Let's say they had 300 guys on the ground for an average of 20 days. The guys worked an average 10-hour day. At $300 per hour, that's $1.8 million dollars. Then the per diem charges for 300 guys for 20 days at $400 per day to cover food and lodging is another $2.4 million dollars. That leaves $3.8 million dollars to cover rental/shipment charges for equipment and supplies. I suspect they got paid what they were due.
Mobilization also includes rented/leased helicopters and other large and small equipment. Plus materials that were ordered and/or purchased for the project. These costs alone since they are likely coming from the mainland could be far beyond that.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Mobilization also includes rented/leased helicopters and other large and small equipment. Plus materials that were ordered and/or purchased for the project. These costs alone since they are likely coming from the mainland could be far beyond that.
$3.8 million dollars very likely more than covered those expenses. These guys got paid.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:46 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
Couldn’t care less. It only hurts PR since they seem incapable of doing anything for themselves and like true liberals cry to have everything done for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies