Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 06:39 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,101,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Well, wouldn't it be "making money" if you didn't have to pay as much? I mean, yeah it would. So not sure why the argument over semantics.
Because it's hard to [negatively] influence the decisions/viewpoints/perspectives of the lower and middle class on these forums when they know that you're upper class, hence the semantics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 06:39 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Your kidding right? No it wouldn't be making money. It is KEEPING more of the money you earned.
No not kidding. Again you're arguing semantics. Why?

Old 11-06-2017, 06:45 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
If you want to talk about something you need to learn the correct words otherwise you look like an idiot and as in this case, saying MAKE gives a hint of where you are financially. It's KEEP, not make.

Take a look at the people in your life. Are those people rich, poor, middle class. People of different classes use words that tell a lot about them.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
If you want to talk about something you need to learn the correct words otherwise you look like an idiot and as in this case, saying MAKE gives a hint of where you are financially. It's KEEP, not make.
If you want to talk about something, maybe you should start with not talking down to every single person who replies to you.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:49 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
If you want to talk about something, maybe you should start with not talking down to every single person who replies to you.

Funny, it was the forum member who used the word MAKE who's intent was to talk down to me but because they didn't use the correct terminology I was able to turn it around. By using the wrong word they showed they don't understand the tax code and it's intent. I corrected them and taught them something.

Another lesson, if you want to go into battle with someone, be sure you know what you're talking about first.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Funny, it was the forum member who used the word MAKE who's intent was to talk down to me but because they didn't use the correct terminology I was able to turn it around. By using the wrong word they showed they don't understand the tax code and it's intent. I corrected them and taught them something.

Another lesson, if you want to go into battle with someone, be sure you know what you're talking about first.
Battle?

Dude, its an internet conversation!

Old 11-06-2017, 06:53 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,101,983 times
Quote:
Funny, it was the forum member who used the word MAKE who's intent was to talk down to me but because they didn't use the correct terminology I was able to turn it around. I corrected them and taught them something.

Kinda how like people needed to be told that trickle-down and supply-side are the same thing, right? BTW, it's "whose intention", not "who's intention".

Old 11-06-2017, 08:51 PM

10,770 posts, read 5,687,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Shareholders lobbying to oppress labors ability to negotiate is exploitation.

With your reading comprehension it is difficult to imagine that you really have any higher education.
Quote:
Hey, big shock, you didn't understand the context .. like i said.

So you fabricated your own story about how "shareholder gains should go to people other than shareholders." Which was never said, by anyone.
Quote:
Which was about a chain of 4 posts removed from its context, that neither you nor the fake PhD seems to have tied back to.
1) You claimed that gains weren’t distributed well.
2) Gains are distributed to owners.

Given #2 and your claim in #1, who should the gains go to, if not the owners?

Feel free to explain the context if that helps.

As to your need to resort to personal attacks, it’s understandable that you are intimidated engaging with someone that has a higher level of educational achievement than you do. But don’t worry, I’m here to help you with your problem. You can trust me, I’m a Doctor.

First, go find a doll and point out on the doll where the mean Ph.D. touched you. Coming to grips with what happened to you is the first step in empowering yourself, and creating the strength to overcome such tragic adversity. Second, consider reciting a daily mantra. Something along the lines of, “I will not be intimidated by well-educated people.” 15 - 20 times a day to start should be about right. Lastly, some classes in rhetoric and logic would serve you well.

Our victims support group meets on Fridays. I hope that you will join us and share in your progress.

Good luck!

Old 11-07-2017, 06:44 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,780 times
Quote:
I don't usually agree with petch, but she's definitely right in this case. Look at your paycheck, what you bring home is your NET, what you make is the GROSS. A tax cut is simply going to allow you to keep more of the GROSS. It's money you already earned, just less of it will go to the federal, state, or local government.

Personally, in our household we are not so desperate that I feel like we "need" a tax cut to stay financially viable. It would help a little yes, but making better economic decisions like earning more business, or getting a better job, budgeting stricter would go much further than the little bit of money we'll get to keep.

I can't help but wonder what services will be at stake if the economics of a tax cut don't pan out. Kansas is said to have been used as a model for these cuts, but Kansas was a disaster that left many Republican legislators pushing to increase taxes. The job growth never came.

Your best bet will be to continue to make the best financial decisions you can no matter what happens.

Betting on a tax cut, or a subsidy is never going to be wise.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:03 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
1) You claimed that gains weren’t distributed well.
2) Gains are distributed to owners.

Given #2 and your claim in #1, who should the gains go to, if not the owners?
Yes, gains aren't distributed well. Shares, ownership of firms needs to be more widely held among the population, specifically the middle and working classes. You seem to think extreme concentration of ownership is perfectly fine, to the extent that you can't (or won't) even recognize it as a possible issue worth discussing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies